Porsche PPF vs. Xpel (nuanced)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 01:01 AM
bdardashti
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Porsche PPF vs. Xpel (nuanced)

Hey folks,

I'm planning an ED on my GTS in May/June 2024. I plan on keeping this car for 20+ yrs so my intention is to get PPF for it. Considering I'll be driving ~ 2k miles in Europe (mix of mountain pass, highways), thoughts on getting the Porsche PPF vs forgoing that, keeping it bare on the trip, and then getting Xpel back in Canada? My search on the forum suggests that Xpel is better, but I wonder if having 2k miles of additional coverage using the factory product would sway opinions on anyone that has experience with it?

Cost wise, Porsche PPF is ~ 50% of the cost of Xpel, but only covers the front & mirrors. I was planning on full Xpel.

Appreciate the input!
Old 10-19-2023, 01:05 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,772 Likes on 5,138 Posts

Just do the Porsche PPF for your ED.

Then redo with Xpel (or whatever brand you want) when the car arrives at stateside.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 01:14 AM
pw-sherman
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 48 Posts

It doesn't seem like factory PPF is currently available. I have a Feb/Mar ED car and got a "V100 - feasibility study failed" message when I added it to the spec before my lock date a few weeks ago.
Old 10-19-2023, 07:47 AM
Emosgarage
Instructor

Received 317 Likes on 112 Posts

just take a roll of track wrap with you and wrap the front bumper and hips yourself for the highway driving. won’t look as pretty, but will protect the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Emosgarage:
detansinn (10-19-2023), Icegrill (10-19-2023), Master Deep (10-20-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 08:27 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

If you're keeping it for 20 years, you will be replacing that PPF 4-5 times. This is especially true if you're actually driving the car.
Xpel is not the be all end all. Other options like Stek, etc are quite good. I've had both Xpel and Stek. I felt that Stek looked better, but as posted elsewhere, the installer is more important than the film.

Regardless with what you go with, you're doing paint correction -- even brand new Porsche 911s need paint correction. Right off of the transporter, the finish on these cars isn't perfect.

Personally, I'd skip the Porsche option and just enjoy the car in Europe. The Porsche option isn't going to be full coverage anyway. When you get the car home, your PPF installer will get everything done up perfect with the added bonus that you won't be paying them to remove the Porsche PPF. It will be like a second delivery for you with the car being presented to you as literally better than new.

As for track wrap, etc. Meh. Do you want your pictures of your european adventure with track wrap on your Porsche? These cars are best enjoyed when you embrace that they're just cars. Drive it and enjoy it.

Last edited by detansinn; 10-19-2023 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:27 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 777 Posts

Like someone else has said you could just get some track wrap to get you by. All you need is front bumper, bottom half of hood, and the spot at the rear rockers below and behind the factory ppf. It will be ugly.

Driving in Europe is a substantially lower risk of getting rock chips than the US. Pickup trucks are rare, pickup trucks with 35” mud tires and no mudflaps is nonexistent, truck drivers aren’t occupying the fast lane, the roads are pristine compared to ours and clean for the most part, and you don’t have dump trucks that drive around filthy making sure they are leaving their presence known from one of the state to the other.
The following 2 users liked this post by dixonk:
Icegrill (10-19-2023), rasetsu (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 10:38 AM
shelbyking
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 146 Posts

I've heard a wide range of what is actually involved with "paint correction". What is the most generally accepted description of that process.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:03 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shelbyking
I've heard a wide range of what is actually involved with "paint correction". What is the most generally accepted description of that process.
PPF will act as a coverup for minor defects and swirling. It will not hide etching, sanding marks, or any major defects. Some installers opt not to do paint correction and say it’s a waste of time because the ppf will cover up 90% of damage and most people will never see it from 5 ft away. Done correctly it, needs to be paint corrected. XPEL is also not the end all be all in film. It is the most and best marketed. STEK is optically more clear. Installer is more important than film used for most. I personally do not like XPEL and I find the orange peel and clarity of it to be subpar. But boy do they have one hell of a marketing team.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:05 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shelbyking
Porsches will come to you with all sorts of defects and is fairly swirled up from various stages and steps. You never know how long it was at port, who touched it during PDI, did the 16 year old dealership porter just wash it with an old tshirt and a few pumps of hand cleaner in a bucket? A paint correction will put the factory finish in perfect condition before sealing it in with ppf.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:19 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 753 Likes on 394 Posts

Get the partial installation from Porsche that protects the front 1/2 of the hood, small portion around headlights, and front bumper

this helps with the majority of the chip coming strain on; it won’t help for the sides as I don’t believe Porsche offers an extended option

once back in the states, find an experienced installer and do the installation properly as you have planned

this project we re-did left much to be desired from the factory, so think of it as a temporary solution for your ED

congrats on the new 911 and enjoy your ED experience…I hear it’s unforgettable

Last edited by MoeMistry; 10-19-2023 at 12:17 PM.
robert310 (10-20-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 11:21 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dixonk
PPF will act as a coverup for minor defects and swirling. It will not hide etching, sanding marks, or any major defects. Some installers opt not to do paint correction and say it’s a waste of time because the ppf will cover up 90% of damage and most people will never see it from 5 ft away. Done correctly it, needs to be paint corrected. XPEL is also not the end all be all in film. It is the most and best marketed. STEK is optically more clear. Installer is more important than film used for most. I personally do not like XPEL and I find the orange peel and clarity of it to be subpar. But boy do they have one hell of a marketing team.
+1…great explanation

Xpel and Suntek have been the industry leaders for years…XPEL being the “qtip” of the industry

film has come a long way in last decade and new players in US like STEK are a nice addition
The following 2 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
detansinn (10-19-2023), dixonk (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 11:40 AM
Birkinjay
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I were you, i would get a ppf from Porsche first. I think their skill is quite good compared to outside installer.

ps. What does ED stand for?
Old 10-19-2023, 11:47 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,189 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Birkinjay
If I were you, i would get a ppf from Porsche first. I think their skill is quite good compared to outside installer.

European Delivery
Old 10-19-2023, 11:52 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 886 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Birkinjay

If this is the quality of Porsche installed PPF, then I would not consider it good at all. Start at 6:30 point

ED = European delivery

Last edited by rasetsu; 10-19-2023 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:18 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Factory ppf redone

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...ighlights.html
rasetsu (10-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Porsche PPF vs. Xpel (nuanced)