Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on winter wheels + tires (992 GTS)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 07:48 PM
Arroqueno
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 52 Posts

Are the prices on Tire Rack for the Michelin Alpin 5s correct? Didn't realize the rear tires would be $717/pop.

Since some of the OEM 20/21 packages are available for $5,500, it might make more sense to just grab the whole kit and caboodle...

Old 11-02-2023, 07:55 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by Arroqueno
Are the prices on Tire Rack for the Michelin Alpin 5s correct? Didn't realize the rear tires would be $717/pop.

Since some of the OEM 20/21 packages are available for $5,500, it might make more sense to just grab the whole kit and caboodle...

I got a set in my garage for sale if you want.
Old 11-03-2023, 03:42 PM
rr_gts
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

What are best options for 992 GTS with CL wheels?
Old 11-03-2023, 04:12 PM
pw-sherman
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 49 Posts

The brake caliper clearance is really tight on my GTS with the 20/21 winter set from Porsche, I don't think the 19/20 set would fit.

The tires that came on mine are Michelin PA5's, which have been great in both snowy and slushy conditions.
Old 11-03-2023, 04:37 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

pilot alpin 5 or continental 870P
Old 11-03-2023, 04:44 PM
992gts
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 117 Posts

got mine at the dealer and installed it was right around $2,800 installed. I grabbed my ankles and stared at my car I would drive all winter

https://www.dealertirecenter.com/app...20,305%2F30R21
Old 11-17-2023, 03:57 PM
Arroqueno
Rennlist Member

Haha. That sounds like what I'll be doing soon.

I think I will pick up an OEM wheelset wheelset and do the wheel swap at home. I've never swapped wheels before, but figure this is a good excuse to learn.

Question for those of you who handle your own wheel swaps: what do you do about alignment? How often do you perform one, if ever?
Old 11-17-2023, 04:03 PM
rr_gts
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I think I will pick up an OEM wheelset wheelset and do the wheel swap at home. I've never swapped wheels before, but figure this is a good excuse to learn.

Question for those of you who handle your own wheel swaps: what do you do about alignment? How often do you perform one, if ever?
Alignment not necessary when just changing wheels. That’s only needed when you mess with suspension.
Old 11-17-2023, 04:19 PM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarm
I also live in Colorado, but was struggling to cope with spending $3,200 on just wheels. I ultimately decided to buy the 19/20" wheel + tire set from Suncoast, which cost me about 4k with shipping. I very much would have preferred to choose my own tires, rather than get whatever Porsche ships. Tires are all different, and are good at different things. If you're running around around town in Boulder, (in my opinion) you will primarily be dealing with dry, and some icy conditions (from the leftover snow that melted and froze over). There's definitely a fair bit of fresh snow, and a little bit of wet. Looking at Tire reviews, I personally would have opted for Hakka R5's, but they don't make them in 20", so that's a no go. Continental VikingContact7 seem like they would be good here as well, but I didn't see the proper size here either, but I'll admit to not being fully versed in tire sizing. Conversely, the Continental WinterContact TS870 seem to be excellent in the cold dry and wet, but aren't great in the snow and ice that we typically see.

If you're going into the mountains, the biggest concern is going to be snow depth. CDOT is very good at clearing the major highways, but you could definitely get stuck in a snowstorm. It's just constantly snowing up there and I've definitely had to crawl out of Winter Park in our Macan through some fresh powder. We've done a yearly multi-night ski trip in February, and I feel like every day we're waking up to fresh snow on the cars and streets. Usually it isn't bad, but I'd be nervous about getting stuck. However, because of the constant snow, and the temperature, the snow is dry. It's very powdery and soft, and so any tire that's good in snow is great. Like Doug mentioned, Siberian won't miss an opportunity to promote Nokian Hakka 10's (studded) tires, as this is probably an awesome environment for them.
i got my 19/20 wheels with Pirelli's and i can tell it is going to be a fun winter.
Old 11-17-2023, 04:24 PM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 184 Posts

i considered an alignment as well. suncoast said not necessary but dealer said it might need it. dealer installed and took it out and said all good. unless you hit anything or if you wheel shakes now i would not do it. you can always have them rack it if you want it done later.
Old 11-17-2023, 06:10 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 441 Posts

Only dealers tend to push the alignment thing. That said, it is important to mark your wheels left and right when you remove them. Don't swap sides of the car, even if the tire allows you to - in fact, for the longest time BMW recommended against tire rotation because after you do that, the tires can act funny for a while - and that funniness might happen while driving in a crazy situation.

Now to change your own wheels, you need
and without going into too much detail (cause I gots to get back to work)
1. Set parking brake, make sure car is in gear
2. Block front wheels
3. Put hockey puck on jack, jack up car at jack point (it has a hole in it, there is even a special tool to go in there and center it if you want)
4. Remove 2 studs - you will need to put impact wrench on speed III - don't ask how I learned this
5. Put wheel hangars in
6. Remove other 3 studs - you will need the key for the anti-theft one - that is in the frunk
7. Pull wheel off (pros will tell you that you should have the car on a real jack stand, not the jack - this is correct, so if you are doing it this way, do not put any part of your body under the car)
8. Put new wheel on (it will glide on because of the wheel hangars (I did 25 years of changing my own tires till I found out about wheel hangars. Ugh... magic I tell you, magic.)
9. Hand thread 3 lugs in (start them then twist in -
10. Remove hangars - add last 2 lugs
11. With wrench, tighten lugs - nothing crazy! The car is in the air But it will be resting on these so they need to be a little tight.
12. Lower jack
13. Torque lug nuts - 160nm I believe is the right setting...
14. Continue with other 3 wheels
15. Put proper air pressure in wheels (check the manual, every version of the 992 is different and event the wheel sizes are different - sigh...). Remember there are two optional pressures - full load and I think half load. I do the half load.
16. Put everything away (great time to put a label on each wheel), clean up, start car, reset TPMS (I like comfort pressure, but I'm a wimp), go for drive.
17. After drive, you are supposed to re-torque wheels - maybe a week later. I believe this is optional (as in Doug does not do it ).
18. Wash the old wheels - dry them, have your 20 year old son take them to the basement. Drink a beer or bourbon.

Last edited by doug_999; 11-17-2023 at 06:21 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by doug_999:
Arroqueno (11-17-2023), FP32NF (11-18-2023), PG5768 (11-17-2023), Ricky Bobby (06-09-2024)
Old 11-17-2023, 10:10 PM
Arroqueno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doug_999
Only dealers tend to push the alignment thing. That said, it is important to mark your wheels left and right when you remove them. Don't swap sides of the car, even if the tire allows you to - in fact, for the longest time BMW recommended against tire rotation because after you do that, the tires can act funny for a while - and that funniness might happen while driving in a crazy situation.

Wow, thank you so much! This is SUPER helpful. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write all that! That doesn't seem too bad. I'll look for a few videos too just to make sure I've got it right! Thank you again!!
Old 11-18-2023, 01:48 AM
FP32NF
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 48 Posts

Doug, thanks for the link for the wheel hangers. I just swapped out my summer's for winter's. Complained to my fiancé that I was never more beat up than swapping out those tires. 20 years of racing Miatas and changing tires 2 to 3 times a day spoiled me with their light weight wheels and wheel studs. Trying to line up the holes while balancing on those little hub fingers was a total drag. I'm now all set, in a few months, to switch back to summers without breaking my back and frying out my thighs!

Quick Reply: School me on winter wheels + tires (992 GTS)