Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTS gone. Are we expecting any new colors for 24?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 05:05 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

You guys sound like Harley owners......not kidding! All that matters to them is the new paint colors every year. It's the most closely guarded "secret" at the Harley Factory, and they make a Really Big Deal of the color reveals every August when the new model year comes out. New Technical innovations? The H-D buyer doesn't really care unless they made the stereo louder. Most still look for a way to disable the ABS on the new bikes, but the paint....the paint matters.

I personally don't care what color my Porsche is, I bought it to drive, not admire. I'll pay for performance options, not paint. But hey, to each his own. However PTS + @ $ 32,000 before it was dropped is simply ludicrous.

Last edited by drcollie; 10-04-2023 at 05:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by drcollie:
Scott P (10-04-2023), shrimp money (10-04-2023), txpackers (10-05-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 05:41 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,007 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
I would not be at all surprised to see Shark Blue replaced when the 992.2 arrives. Yes, SB is somewhat popular, but it has nearly run its course.
You never know. Lava orange lasted way longer than people predicted. And it was not as popular as shark.

Not saying you're wrong. Just saying it's hard to read the Porsche gods.
The following users liked this post:
RatherJaded (10-06-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 05:44 PM
TheGeneral
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
You guys sound like Harley owners......not kidding! All that matters to them is the new paint colors every year. It's the most closely guarded "secret" at the Harley Factory, and they make a Really Big Deal of the color reveals every August when the new model year comes out. New Technical innovations? The H-D buyer doesn't really care unless they made the stereo louder. Most still look for a way to disable the ABS on the new bikes, but the paint....the paint matters.

I personally don't care what color my Porsche is, I bought it to drive, not admire. I'll pay for performance options, not paint. But hey, to each his own. However PTS + @ $ 32,000 before it was dropped is simply ludicrous.
Each to his/her own. That's the beauty of building your own Porsche, and yes, Porsche makes a nice margin on those "personalizations" - as they should. Some people actually DO care what their car paint color is and yes, some will pay a crazy amount of money for it. Porsche should (and will gladly) collect the surcharge and move on... One person's like is often another person's dislike. And so it goes.... I for one, if I'm spending what I am for a Porsche, would like something other than white, black or some shade of gray - but hey, that's me. Some people may think it's "ludicrous" to pay $32,000 for PTS and some people may think it's "ludicrous" to pay "$241,300+ for a GT3 RS" when their 911T is just fine. "Performance" (how ever that its defined) is important to many but not that important to just as many, if not more. Where does one draw the line on "performance"?
The following 2 users liked this post by TheGeneral:
rasetsu (10-10-2023), StarbuckR6 (10-12-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 06:52 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 481 Posts

I bought it to drive, not admire.
One can both drive and admire their car. They are not mutually exclusive.

Haven’t you posted about waxing your car? Is that performance wax? Or do you in fact care how your car looks?
The following 4 users liked this post by jhenson29:
6IXSPD (10-05-2023), doug_999 (10-11-2023), rasetsu (10-10-2023), suffer (10-06-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 09:32 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Originally Posted by jhenson29
One can both drive and admire their car. They are not mutually exclusive.

Haven’t you posted about waxing your car? Is that performance wax? Or do you in fact care how your car looks?
I take care of all my vehicles, but I don't care what color they are - really and truly. My Porsches over the years have been Silver, Orange, Red, White, Grey, Black. I don't like all black wheels, but that's it cosmetically. Like I said, I buy them to drive and won't pay extra for paint.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:46 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Received 474 Likes on 173 Posts

I take care of all my vehicles, but I don't care what color they are - really and truly. My Porsches over the years have been Silver, Orange, Red, White, Grey, Black. I don't like all black wheels, but that's it cosmetically. Like I said, I buy them to drive and won't pay extra for paint.
Come on now DrCollie. You're buying a new 911, 5 in front of you are all the same price with the same options but all different colors.

You don't have a preference and your own tastes won't come in to play?

Just Sayin......
Old 10-04-2023, 10:21 PM
2thHappy
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicbastige
Hyundai and Honda must have cornered the market on Arctic Grey.
LMAO. The color pallate of some manufacturers is definitely insidious.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:25 PM
2thHappy
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
Out of all the colors currently offered I generally like it. It ultimately depends on the lighting. My least favorite would be GT Silver, but I have owned 5+ new BMWs in some form of silver. The vast major of vehicles on U.S. roads are white, black, silver or some sort of grey. Most U.S. car buyers are rather bland and/or afraid to step out of their comfort zone.
I have too many black cars already, otherwise would've gotten black. PTS was not offered when I had my allocation like many here.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:58 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Originally Posted by SFAVGUY
Come on now DrCollie. You're buying a new 911, 5 in front of you are all the same price with the same options but all different colors.

You don't have a preference and your own tastes won't come in to play?

Just Sayin......
I buy what’s on sale. Always have and always will.

My wife’s has a Chalk Macan S, that they marked down $20k off msrp in 2020 because it was so heavily optioned (an custom ordered car that the client bailed on) it exceeded Porsche Financial lease threshold. I would never pay $ 3,200 for Chalk. My 992 S cab was on the showroom floor in December 2020 and had a manual transmission, it was black metallic. They discounted it $ 3,500 at a time when everything was msrp - I was going for the three pedal configuration, color unimportant.. My Cayenne GTS is also black, and had a $12,000 discount in March 2021. I love to buy cars that the dealer has "punched" the warranty on in order to get an allocation, they have the best prices and usually have less than 100 miles on them. I take the deals, color is unimportant. Nor would I ever pay a single dollar for that ridiculous deviated stitching charge. I buy Porsches based on the technical build of a car (Rear Wheel Steering, PDCC, Sport Exhaust, PASM, Sport Chrono, etc), not on cosmetics. I also never order a car, because you can't get a deal on an ordered car.

SFAVGUY, if that's your Porsche in your Avatar, then the PTS Irish Green (?) is gorgeous, one of the best looks, I'd not pay for it - but I appreciate it!.

Last edited by drcollie; 10-04-2023 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2023, 11:06 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Received 474 Likes on 173 Posts

I buy what’s on sale. Always have and always will.

My wife’s has a Chalk Macan S, that they marked down $20k off msrp in 2020 because it was so heavily optioned (an offer car that was bailed on) it exceeded Porsche Financial lease threshold. I would never pay $ 3,200 for Chalk. My 992 S cab was on the showroom floor in December 2020 and had a manual transmission, it was black metallic. They discounted it $ 3,500 at a time when everything was msrp. My Cayenne GTS is also black, and had a $12,000 discount in March 2021.

I take the deals, color is unimportant. Nor would I ever pay a single dollar for that ridiculous deviated stitching charge. I buy Porsches based on the technical build of a car (Rear Wheel Steering, PDCC, Sport Exhaust, PASM, Sport Chrono, etc), not on cosmetics. I also never order a car, because you can't get a deal on an ordered car.
Ok Then. I stand corrected.
Old 10-05-2023, 01:40 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vicbastige
Hyundai and Honda must have cornered the market on Arctic Grey.
Slate grey and Nardo grey definitely felt more special before other manufacturers started pumping out lots of cars with similar paints. Something to consider when selecting a color.
Old 10-05-2023, 04:13 PM
Snareman
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
I would not be at all surprised to see Shark Blue replaced when the 992.2 arrives. Yes, SB is somewhat popular, but it has nearly run its course.
I'm hoping not since its the color I've been planning on for my first Porsche
The following users liked this post:
RatherJaded (10-06-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 04:49 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Snareman
I'm hoping not since its the color I've been planning on for my first Porsche
Shark Blue (or VW Cornflower Blue) is a terrific shade. It reminds me a bit of Porsche Heritage color Arrow Blue. I'd love to see them side by side.
Old 10-05-2023, 04:51 PM
Snareman
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by The911Don
Shark Blue (or VW Cornflower Blue) is a terrific shade. It reminds me a bit of Porsche Heritage color Arrow Blue. I'd love to see them side by side.
I have Santorini Blue now. I compared Shark to it at the dealer and shark seems to maybe be a little lighter and maybe a little more turquoise. It looks like a great blue.​​​​​​​

Last edited by Snareman; 10-05-2023 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-05-2023, 05:13 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 677 Likes on 339 Posts

I buy what’s on sale. Always have and always will. ..... ..I also never order a car, because you can't get a deal on an ordered car.
Yes, the days of ordering a Porsche and getting a discount off MSRP are gone. In the past, I was able to order my new cars and negotiate a nice discount off MSRP;

2015 Cayman - 7% Discount off MSRP
2019 Targa 4GTS - 5% Discount off MSRP
2022 Boxster 25 - Paid MSRP

The trend line is not good. I just hope my wait for a 911 GTS allocation comes in at MSRP (no ADM).

Quick Reply: PTS gone. Are we expecting any new colors for 24?