Sponsored by:

My GTS Build & Questions - Locks this Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 12:56 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicbastige
Not that it matters at all, but you got me thinking. Based on the extra $230 for the big tank, and a delta of .20/gal from a local station (that's the difference in my area, you'd need to burn 1150 gallons of Costco fuel to break even (not counting the extra drive time and hassle factor). At 21mpg (my over-all average economy) that roughly means one would need to drive 24,150 miles to reach that break even point. Look, many have the big tank and love it so choices are a good thing.

While I'm here an additional de-rail: For those that are frustrated that the surround cameras don't always activate when parking, consider programming the free button on the wheel to activate them. I did and after a short time reflexively hit it when parking or approaching a tight spot.
I don't have surround. I use my diamond button next to PSE to activate homelink, both for my garage door, and my cargraphic.

And based on your math above, the 24,150 miles is based on 1150 gallons. But your supposition doesn't factor in the fact that you don't go from a zero gallon to a 23.4 gallon tank. I believe the conjecture is misleading at best. I fill up at Costco because it is known for consistent quality gas, and at a lower price than elsewhere. And I'm often there for other supplies making it a two birds one stone moment.

But most importantly, with my $160 suncoast oem aluminum fuel cap (that I see less often with my larger tank!!!) and my $150 clear side markers, and my $175 or so frunk liner, and my... and my ... and my ...., you get the picture, I don't believe any of us 992 owners are looking to break even on the cost of the larger tank. We just like stopping at the gas station less often.

I will say it often pops through my head, do the people in line behind me at Costco wonder why it could take me soooo long to fill up given that the car in front of me usually leaves first. Or are they simply admiring the view of my 992 ***.
Old 10-05-2023, 02:55 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 807 Likes on 383 Posts

My calculus was based only on the idea that using a larger tank helps with the inconvenience of going to Costco for cheaper gas by reducing trips meaning it "helps" one to use cheaper gas. In that case the delta factor in the tanks is a null hypothesis. At this point I'm happy with the idea that everybody should have the bigger tank, take long trips without breaks, carry 20+ gallons on the track and go to Costco for gas...but just be sure to get a hotdog while there . Here's to hoping that the .2 offers an intermediate tanks size so we can meet in the middle.

Also, didnt mean to direct the idea of programming the wheel button for you...a few folks further up the thread had mentioned the inconsistent performance of the cameras so I just parked it in the same post. I too use the button next to PSE for homelink where my garage door and cargraphic reside.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vicbastige:
3rdpedal (10-05-2023), pal (10-06-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 02:01 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by pal
Well, I actually like lane change assist as you all describe it. The rest of the manufacturers call it blind spot assist and that’s why I was thrown off. I don’t want the jerk bot that jerks my wheel to keep me in a lane. OK. Added Premium Package and removed PDLS+.

You all are giving me second thoughts on the extended range fuel tank. Don’t want the rattles, which appear to have been fixed. As for weight, I can always fill up 16 galls to be close to the weight of the regular tank.

Minor nit question. Is smokers package worth it? Seems like a way to get a cupholder / enclosed storage for little things. Does not seem useful as a cupholder as the location is odd.
I love my extended range tank. I experienced rattles when tank was full or near full maybe 4 or 5 times. Then, about 6K miles ago, it stopped completely. My car has about 12K miles now and it has never rattled from the front in about 6K miles. YMMV but the convenience of extended tank is great. Went on a road trip for 900 miles and filled up 2x. On the fwy, at 80 mph, it was saying I have 700 miles of range. No one will drive that far without a bathroom break, but when you are on a trip, it's just very nice to not have to get gas for a long time.

As for the smoker's package, sure it's a free cup w/ lid on it, but it is pointless. It is a short and terrible pen holder to use on your desk and my cup/ashtray simply sits in the glove box. I would not bother speccing it.
The following users liked this post:
chance6 (10-08-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 02:38 AM
Snareman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by adrianp89
Get Premium, ditch the headlights. If you want the black look - that can be done very cheap aftermarket.
How does that work and how cheap?
Old 10-06-2023, 04:11 AM
VelvaGolden
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

first time poster here, long time porschephile (dad drove me to grade school in a 356, my first love)
taking delivery on my 992 GTS this as early as this weekend, waiting on wrap, etc
here's my build:

The following 2 users liked this post by VelvaGolden:
Furqan8421 (10-06-2023), pal (10-07-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 08:20 PM
pal
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 106 Posts

Wow, VelvaGolden, you are not holding back

Here is what I think it my final, final build. Added Race-Tex sunvisors, which would have been odd to not have with a Race-Tex headliner and pillars.

jack_carls0n (10-07-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 02:34 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 807 Likes on 383 Posts

The struggle is real.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1367...e-is-back.html
Old 10-08-2023, 02:41 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,657 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicbastige

Model year?
Old 10-08-2023, 08:10 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by pal
This is my first Porsche, so the build process has been time consuming. Rennlist has been an excellent resource to iterate and refine. This is where I am at now, and seem to be pretty close. The configuration locks this weekend, and then I suppose the formal build begins on the Porsche side of the fence. The smoking package seems like an interesting one to add for the additional cupholder, because I don't actually smoke. What I've learnt is that it's easy to switch it back to a little storage cubby if necessary later. I also removed the lightweight glass based on owner's problems, and the carbon roof seems pointless at only 4lbs saved over a factory magnesium roof. So I skipped these and swung for the matrix lights instead, since lighting tech is always a fun addition.
I think the std roof is aluminum...magnesium is reserved for our friends on the GT3RS, at least 991.2 was. CF roof only saves 2.2 lbs over the slick top. Beauty only, or you could ask your passenger to deploy Operation BROWNFISH before entering said GTS.

If they are not to deploy Operation BROWNFISH, then they should intermittently fast for 1 week to save CF roof option and thus, $3890.
pal (10-09-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 08:21 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

I always forget about those damn sun visors. Any Porsche I've ever had, I think they were leatherette. Never went race-tex and definitely not real leather. Always went ghetto.
The 991.1 GTS had a standard alcantara headliner...I feel it is an act of TREASON or dare we say EMBEZZLEMENT to not include the standard roof liner in race-tex.

Porsche is at the farm at 4 AM with large buckets for milking us. And their egocentric CFO insists on higher profit margins. Well he or she can go bungee jumping from a low altitude with a long cord. Hook up the harness!!

Last edited by chance6; 10-08-2023 at 08:22 PM.
pal (10-09-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 08:25 AM
pal
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 106 Posts

Sent my build to the dealer last night. Removed the extended range fuel tank and Surround View camera. Added Bose, LCA, Power Folding Mirrors and Storage Package as individual options.

Old 10-09-2023, 09:43 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by pal
Sent my build to the dealer last night. Removed the extended range fuel tank and Surround View camera. Added Bose, LCA, Power Folding Mirrors and Storage Package as individual options.
While the matrix headlights have been approved - that was almost a year ago and all signs point to the Porsche design not being able to be approved. So from what I've read, unless things have changed, you will have to pay someone $$ to activate them. There is a thread here on it.https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1352...eadlights.html

and the Surround View camera is amazing - especially if you pull into a garage or a parking space - the front camera tells you exactly where the nose is.

Last edited by doug_999; 10-09-2023 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-09-2023, 09:45 AM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,657 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by pal
Scared off regarding the tank rattle reports? Apparently it can happen with the standard tank as well. Truthfully, if you do not intend to drive the car long distances then the extended range full tank is probably not necessary.

Last edited by RatherJaded; 10-09-2023 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-09-2023, 07:29 PM
et183394
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I would keep the surround view cameras. It’s one of those things that you didn’t know you need until you had it. I find it very useful with my GTS.
The following 2 users liked this post by et183394:
txpackers (10-10-2023), yronzff (10-10-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 07:56 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

I didn't get it because I thought the ACC camera nub up front and center was part of that. And didn't like that. In retrospect while the Surround would have been a nice option, I've been fine without it and just having rear camera and parking sensors.

Quick Reply: My GTS Build & Questions - Locks this Weekend