Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any opinions on winter Goodyear vs Michelins?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 11:52 PM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by alin2
Well...it seems everyone has experience with the Michelin Alpins.

I guess I'm taking one for the team with the Goodyear Ultragrips.

I figure it's a N-spec winter for the 992 so, it can't be THAT bad. Lol.
I'm with ya! I just ordered them as well. I'm not going to be doing any record breaking laps during the winter...just around town stuff. I'm sure they will be perfectly fine. I did have Alpins in the past and would have gone with those, but just not sure they are $600 better. Guess we will find out
The following users liked this post:
alin2 (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 12:16 AM
DR911s
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a 991.2 C2S so I'm of little specific help in regards to any 992 car with staggered wheel diameters. My car was delivered to me in late winter so it came with Pirelli winter tires mounted on the OEM 20" wheels. I don't like the fact that the Pirelli winter tires in 295/30R20 don't have a rim protection rib of rubber like my Michelin PS4s summer tires do. A lot of th 11.5" wide rear rim is exposed with those Pirelli tires.

Whenever I get a new car and want a set of winter tires for it, I always go to Tire Rack and order a complete set of wheels with the tires of my choice mounted and balanced, and TR has always gotten the mounting and balancing perfect -- as good as OEM from the factory on any car. I cannot say that for any local tire dealer or installer I have used, although the Porsche dealer from whom I bought my car appears to have done an excellent job. But they charge about $300 or more to mount and balance a set of 4. If you buy from TR or another tire and wheel dealer, those charges are included with the sale of the packages. And TR got the correct TPMS units installed in the set of OZ Racing wheels I chose and the Michelin summer tires I chose and I had zero problems with them registering with the car when I switched the wheels. I did not need to use any scan tool or PIWIS to get the car's electronics system to recognize them. The OZ wheels have served flawlessly over 4 years including several track days, and were much less expensive than the OEM wheels offered by Suncoast if that matters to anyone.

When choosing winter or all season tires that have a mud and snow rating, I always look for the relative testing results and the user experience comments if any are available. Being that I live in NE Ohio and my driveway has as much as a 13 percent slope from the street towards the house and garage and a 45 degree turn to the left is required at the bottom of the driveway to enter the garage or you'll soon be hitting the kitchen wall, and the area in which my house is locate is hilly, I focus on the packed snow and ice traction testing and secondly on any "slushy" snow testing because those conditions are common for me, and if the tires don't adequately grip as I descend from the street, I will have significant damage to my car and my house or garage.
Old 10-18-2023, 09:21 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 481 Posts

I’m faced with this decision now too.

Leaning towards to GY since I can’t find any meaningful difference in comparisons online.

I’ll be sad if I end up in a ditch though.

I’ll try be positive and assume I’ll end up in a ditch regardless.
Old 10-18-2023, 11:59 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus.
i bought the alpine 5s
amazing tire for winter driving

i live in Vancouver Canada and it snows a decent amount here
and this being my daily driver need to get around town alpine 5s are the way to go

also ended up going a bit smaller on the back wheels 295 so less things get thrown up on the hips in winter conditions
ended up saving a decent chunk doing that tooo
Interesting. I thought Vancouver was more rain than snow? Similar to Seattle?
Old 10-19-2023, 11:40 AM
968boy
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have not been a fan of the PA5's on my 992 C2S (OEM winter wheels 20/21). I had Pirelli Sottozero 3's on my 991.2 C2 and it was night and day better in the snow and on ice. The PA5 is an amazing cold weather tire, but being a performance winter, sacrafices poor weather bite.
I would try the Conti's or Goodyear's or even the non N spec PZero Winter that would fit, but there are very few reviews and not sure they will be any better then the PA5 in the snow.
I'm considering trying the Nokian Hakka R5 EV in 235/35/20 and 295/30/21.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:17 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 162 Posts

I ordered my set of factory winter wheels (19/20") from my dealer. They came with Pirelli Zero Winters mounted and balanced. I have driven with them over two winters, weekends mostly, on my 2021 992S and they still look new now after about 7k miles. Handling is only noticeably less buttoned down in more spirited driving compared with the stock 20/21" Goodyear summer tires. They actually have had excellent grip in all but the worst wet and winter conditions I experienced. I drove my Wrangler JL on those days. The most snow depth I ever drove on the Pirellis was 5" and they did well, including slush. I will eventually mount them at home on my new 2024 S cab. How many more quality miles I get with them before they start to fall off remains to be seen but they are off to a good start.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:37 AM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
The ultra grips sound new?
and while too late for my input, I’ve never found a tire better than Michelin unfortunately. I have the Pirelli winters on my 992 and … damn I wish the Alpin would have been available. And I went with them over the conti because of the poor reviews of that tire.

Blizzaks for the win but not made for the 992 unfortunately. I've been putting them on my cars for the last 10-12 years and never once had a problem in Buffalo blizzards.
Old 10-20-2023, 09:11 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott P
Blizzaks for the win but not made for the 992 unfortunately. I've been putting them on my cars for the last 10-12 years and never once had a problem in Buffalo blizzards.
Unfortunately, those are snow tires. Great for Buffalo, not a good choice for Chicago . A performance winter tire is better for climates like Chicago where cold/wet/dry is more of the norm than snow,snow,snow.

Last edited by doug_999; 10-20-2023 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-20-2023, 09:43 AM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Not just snow, they excel on ice and light snow over ice. I've had the Alpins and the Blizzaks stop, turn and accelerate better besides, TireRack considers both the Michelin Alpins and the Blizzaks to be performance winter tires.

Last edited by Scott P; 10-20-2023 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-20-2023, 10:39 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Not just snow, they excel on ice and light snow over ice. I've had the Alpins and the Blizzaks stop, turn and accelerate better besides, TireRack considers both the Michelin Alpins and the Blizzaks to be performance winter tires.
Except they ride mushy and pale in comparison to the Alpin in the dry/wet. The problem many have is they buy a tire for snow, when they don't get that much snow.. So 95% of the time, they have a compromise tire - a tire that won't stop, turn, or go as good. Yes, in the snow/ice, the other (say the Blizzak) is going to excel, and if you live in Buffalo, that's IMPORTANT, but if you live in one of the more normal climates, AND you drive a performance car, you actually want a winter performance tire or an all-season like the Pilot Sport All-Seasons, which are simply stunning.
TempeAndy (10-28-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 10:46 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Except they ride mushy and pale in comparison to the Alpin in the dry/wet. The problem many have is they buy a tire for snow, when they don't get that much snow.. So 95% of the time, they have a compromise tire - a tire that won't stop, turn, or go as good. Yes, in the snow/ice, the other (say the Blizzak) is going to excel, and if you live in Buffalo, that's IMPORTANT, but if you live in one of the more normal climates, AND you drive a performance car, you actually want a winter performance tire or an all-season like the Pilot Sport All-Seasons, which are simply stunning.

Edit - ouch, this comparison actually has the Alpin beating the LM in all tests except wet. The dry stuff is the important thing I was trying to show.

Old 10-27-2023, 11:28 PM
OMTarga4S
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Any news on the Goodyear’s ? The Alpins aren’t available on tire rack at the moment.
Old 10-28-2023, 09:12 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Getting my GY winter tires/wheels put on next Thursday. Will give a review of in dry and wet in 30-40 F degree weather, at least, after ~1 week.
OMTarga4S (10-29-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 03:30 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

I had my winter wheels/tires put on last week. Please excuse the rusty rotors.

And...of course, we enter a super warm November in Chicagoland with temps >50 F. So, no reviews yet on colder performance and obviously no reviews yet on snow/ice performance.

I can say that the performance in dry 40-50 degree weather has been quite good for winter tires. They definitely feel a bit vague and squishy when pressed on cornering at speed, although not as bad as some winter tires I've had in the past. The road noise is significantly better than the summer Goodyears in a small surprise.

Will update when the temps are <32F and when there are wet/snow/ice conditions.
Old 11-06-2023, 04:02 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alin2
I had my winter wheels/tires put on last week. Please excuse the rusty rotors.

and...of course, we enter a super warm November in Chicagoland with temps >50 F. So, no reviews yet on colder performance and obviously no reviews yet on snow/ice performance.

I can say that the performance in dry 40-50 degree weather has been quite good for winter tires. They definitely feel a bit vague and squishy when pressed on cornering at speed, although not as bad as some winter tires I've had in the past. The road noise is significantly better than the summer Goodyears in a small surprise.

Will update when the temps are <32F and when there are wet/snow/ice conditions.
PM with me where you are in Chicago!

Quick Reply: Any opinions on winter Goodyear vs Michelins?