Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience With Porsche Dash Cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 06:58 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

For those who had the dealer install it, how many hours did they charge you for? I had a dealer tell me 6 hours ($2k) even having optioned the car with preparation for dash cam. Sounds totally unreasonable…
Old 08-15-2023, 07:10 PM
Docmem
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SS22
For those who had the dealer install it, how many hours did they charge you for? I had a dealer tell me 6 hours ($2k) even having optioned the car with preparation for dash cam. Sounds totally unreasonable…
I paid about £820 for front and rear camera supplied and fitted to MY2023 992 in the UK.
Old 08-15-2023, 07:19 PM
Harry Wenhr
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alisia
Got mine from Suncoast and installed it myself (had the pre-wiring already) so total cost was around $500 (630 if you include the pre-wiring). For that price I am very happy with the results: nice clean look, quality of the footage is more than sufficient, you get both front and back, feels like an integrated solution (yes it’s not built into the mirror as others have raised but good enough for me if you place correctly), don’t have to worry about battery getting drained, wiring/fuse issues, etc. With very little experience, taking off trim pieces and filing the plastic mirror housing cover was a bit scary (on a 3 day old car) but I got through it. I highly recommend it.
"don’t have to worry about battery getting drained", can you elaborate a bit more on this? Mine dont have a parking model in settings i guess the camera is completely off when i parked (which is the opposite of what i want, i want it to be toggled on to record something if detected movement)

Old 08-15-2023, 07:22 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by SS22
My quote was also 2k; but I don't have dash cam prep. Otherwise it was going to be around 500. I told them forget it (car was already at service center for installation). They called me and told me that because it didn't have the prep, they'd have to take apart the whole dash/etc and thus the higher labor cost. Just the thought of them pulling my perfectly quiet/working dash apart was enough for me to say no.

Old 08-15-2023, 07:25 PM
nolanick
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by A Nonce
I have experienced this on my iPhone as well but not consistently. I am unsure why/how or why I don't experience this currrently. Will try to see if I can replicate it and play around with the settings.
thanks!!! Eager to hear more
Old 08-15-2023, 07:27 PM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts

@SS22 I’m curious as well. Heard a wide range of prices even with the pre-wiring. I’m going to contact a few dealers around me when I am ready in a month or so. Seems to me it is about $2K to do the job, which is still a lot!
Old 08-15-2023, 09:03 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

About $500 if you have the prep optioned from the factory is more reasonable for just the installation (even that’s pretty high).

I can’t wrap my head around why in the world it would take 6 hours (for $2k) when it’s ready to go from the factory (if you optioned prep for dash cam), and so basically they need to be plug in the cameras and stick them to the windshield.

The only reason I don’t wanna do it myself is in an abundance of caution not to screw something up.
Old 10-29-2023, 12:43 PM
RedOak
Track Day

Received 43 Likes on 12 Posts

A lot of people seem to have major issues connecting DIRECTLY to the camera. I have found that connecting the Dashcam to the PCMs wifi yields a much more stable connection. This allows you to have wireless CarPlay WHILE also being able to connect to the Dashcam.

Here is a quick hack that y'all might find helpful:
1) Connect the Camera directly.
If you have an iPhone:
Turn on Airplane mode, turn Wifi back and on.
Pick the Cameras Wifi. Open the Cameras Wifis connection setiings and turn off: Private Wifi Address, Limit IP Address tracking.
Open the Porsche Dashcam app.
2) Connect the Dashcam to your PCM's Wifi. Wait a couple minutes to make sure.
3) Turn off Airplane mode.
4) Connect to the PCMs Wifi and ensure that wireless CarPlay works.
5) Force close and then re-open the Porsche Dashcam app.
6) You will now be able to access the Dashcam video feed from your phone much more reliably WHILE you're connected to CarPlay.
7) Profit?!
What a clusterf***. One should not have to try to go through these steps to get a Porsche OEM product to work. Porsche should be embarrassed, especially when you see how well integrated other OEM solutions are (eg. Tesla) for other manufacturers. . Hopefully this is a software issue and Porsche will roll out PCM, Dashboard app, and Dashboard firmware to fix this. Embarrassing

I appreciate you laying out the steps. But honestly, I can’t even follow you here
Old 10-30-2023, 01:19 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RedOak
What a clusterf***. One should not have to try to go through these steps to get a Porsche OEM product to work. Porsche should be embarrassed, especially when you see how well integrated other OEM solutions are (eg. Tesla) for other manufacturers. . Hopefully this is a software issue and Porsche will roll out PCM, Dashboard app, and Dashboard firmware to fix this. Embarrassing

I appreciate you laying out the steps. But honestly, I can’t even follow you here
I tried this and it doesn’t work for me. I spent 4 hours at the dealership with the foreman trying to figure out how to connect the camera to the phone and car and we ended up only being able to connect the camera to my iPhone. Fine, but the only way to view the footage on my phone seemed to be to be in the car and disconnect CarPlay. Also fine, but now even that doesn’t work. So then I decided to just take the micro SD card and watch the footage on my computer. The problem? Only the front dash cam recorded videos.

Does anyone know how to enable the rear dash cam? Is there something that needs to be turned on or is it a hard wire issue? The dealership installed the cams so I’d hope they connected everything correctly.
The following users liked this post:
pgap718 (06-21-2024)
Old 10-30-2023, 10:08 AM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 768 Likes on 432 Posts

This is a problem with iPhones and any Dashcam because when the cars entertainment system is on the phone will automatically connect to wireless CarPlay. The easiest way to connect to the Dashcam wifi is to make sure the entertainment system is completely off - in most cars this happens when you turn the engine off and open the drivers door.
Old 10-30-2023, 10:51 AM
RedOak
Track Day

Received 43 Likes on 12 Posts

Porsche needs to put the Dashcam and CarPlay on the same network. Or, make them separate but compatible.

Why in heavens would they release this product and not thought this through? Why release it and cause all this frustration and waste of so much time? Why are they not communicating better with both owners and dealers? The dealers are as lost as the owners
Old 10-30-2023, 02:11 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 768 Likes on 432 Posts

Porsche needs to put the Dashcam and CarPlay on the same network. Or, make them separate but compatible.

Why in heavens would they release this product and not thought this through? Why release it and cause all this frustration and waste of so much time? Why are they not communicating better with both owners and dealers? The dealers are as lost as the owners

Apple does not officially allow additional devices to be connected to the CarPlay network. The issue is mainly on the iPhone end, because iPhones can only connect to one wifi network at a time and once you set up wireless CarPlay, that is always the first network it will try to connect to.
Old 12-17-2023, 08:44 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 314 Likes on 140 Posts

Has the performance of the Porsche dashcam improved with software updates?

I’m still debating between the Porsche branded version and several aftermarket ones. This includes Blackvue, Viofo, and Thinkware. Many more of these are in use, and surprisingly all have more negative review than I’d expect. I ordered my car pre-wired so I still may go with the Porsche branded version.
C2heritage (03-27-2024)
Old 12-17-2023, 05:21 PM
SabbyNet
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of people seem to have major issues connecting DIRECTLY to the camera. I have found that connecting the Dashcam to the PCMs wifi yields a much more stable connection. This allows you to have wireless CarPlay WHILE also being able to connect to the Dashcam.

Here is a quick hack that y'all might find helpful:
1) Connect the Camera directly.
If you have an iPhone:
Turn on Airplane mode, turn Wifi back and on.
Pick the Cameras Wifi. Open the Cameras Wifis connection setiings and turn off: Private Wifi Address, Limit IP Address tracking.
Open the Porsche Dashcam app.
2) Connect the Dashcam to your PCM's Wifi. Wait a couple minutes to make sure.
3) Turn off Airplane mode.
4) Connect to the PCMs Wifi and ensure that wireless CarPlay works.
5) Force close and then re-open the Porsche Dashcam app.
6) You will now be able to access the Dashcam video feed from your phone much more reliably WHILE you're connected to CarPlay.
7) Profit?!
perfect set of instructions, easy and working very well. I also connected these camera with Porsche Track precision app for my panamera and is working well.

please confirm in this thread once you find out enabling Wi-Fi hotspot service from Porsche connect sends you security notifications or lets you monitor remotely?
Old 12-17-2023, 08:21 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Does anyone know why the rear camera videos don’t show up on the computer when looking up the videos directly from inserting the micro SD card into the computer? My front camera videos show up but not the rear ones. I’ve confirmed that the rear camera is working because the videos display when I look through my phone. I just wanna view them on my computer because it’s so much easier than to connect and reconnect the camera and CarPlay to my phone.
jtyt (03-25-2024)

Quick Reply: Experience With Porsche Dash Cam