Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the 992 come with any UV tint from the factory?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 11:25 PM
topherserrano
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I found a performance curve for his SolarMeter Model 6.5. (Google is my friend.)
What this graph shows is that this meter is measuring UVC and the low end of UVB but does not respond to UVA.

According to the products website, that particular graph is not a representation of the spectrum range of the device, but an example of what a person will experience on a tennis court:

“This vertical (global) reading represents an average intensity value your body will experience while being active on a tennis or volleyball court, or lying flat on a blanket on the grass. If however, you are reclined in a lounge chair facing the sun perpendicular to the sun angle, you will experience a higher UV intensity, as represented by pointing the Solarmeter ® directly at the sun. This value will typically exceed the actual UV index number.“
Old 01-15-2024, 08:25 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 753 Likes on 394 Posts

From my understanding, it’s the sun’s IR rays that also contribute to heat…this is where ceramic films will help depending on material

I know even in the 992 with all types of glass, heat still comes through without any tint

when we add ceramic tint, we feel a noticeable difference, even on lighter films

hope that helps
Old 01-15-2024, 09:42 AM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 142 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by 911Castle; 01-15-2024 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:35 PM
rjs5327
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by topherserrano
According to the products website, that particular graph is not a representation of the spectrum range of the device, but an example of what a person will experience on a tennis court:

“This vertical (global) reading represents an average intensity value your body will experience while being active on a tennis or volleyball court, or lying flat on a blanket on the grass. If however, you are reclined in a lounge chair facing the sun perpendicular to the sun angle, you will experience a higher UV intensity, as represented by pointing the Solarmeter ® directly at the sun. This value will typically exceed the actual UV index number.“
I find it interesting that the people arguing have no idea how sensors work. First off that meter is ±10% REF.NIST. So it is following a standard or it would not have passed NIST accuracy and repeatability certifications. That being said if he is reading 10 he could be off by +-1 UV Index.

Here is the logmaritic graph. The meter is good till ~370nm, so you could make the argument that the last 30nm is a inaccuracy. But to educate you on what a response graph is, that is the relationship to value change vs output. Therefore the 300nm light has 100X the impact on the electrical signal output in comparison to the 320nm output. In otherwards if there was UVB or UVC there in any sizable quantity it would peg the meter. Furthermore you have to look at the log. since the first linear graph is deceiving. This is how many systems work. If you read on a thermistor they are logmaritic in nature too. Most electronic thermostats use a thermistor tuned in the range that they want the signal conditioning to be good based on expected input.

My guess is and i would have to read on UV index is that there is most likely a weight on C and B in that index if it is more harmful. If that is the case then the sensor reponce is in line with the index standard. Again that is my speculation on that statement.

I highly doubt the index is 0 in the car but probably under the minimal reading on the sensor since readings under 2 dont really matter. The fact that he goes from 7 to 0 show that there is a absorption of UV in that window.. Even if say 2 was the real reading ince it was below the minimum noise pickup in the circuit. that is a 75% reduction from 7 UVI. The point is there is there is protection. I dont know how old the people are her but if you go back to the 70s they had really clear windows then in 80s/90s they got a blue tint factory. I believe it was called sunex. This was a factory tint to do exactly what you are talking about in these post. Also if you want a sanity check think about the dash pad. in the old cars they all cracked and fell apart. Now there have been material advancements but when was last time you saw a cracked dash pad or a crumbling door panel. The door panel is due to the plasticizers used in modern plastics. However there haven't been a change in leather or vinal that im aware of. Unless they been genetically modifying cows for the leather.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:48 PM
rjs5327
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In response to black light comments

First off you have not shown you test pictures on the window.

Second off what is the intensity of the black light. If you are throwing 10000X what you would see out side of course you would still light the bill up since 95% blockage 5% is still getting through.

Third the black light is close to visible light spectrum which would be outside of the filtering range. Black lights typically emit ultraviolet (UV) radiation with a wavelength of around 360-400 nanometers (nm). That is why they look purple. Also that is at tail end of what the meter in question reading. The objective of the factory is to allow as mush visible light in as possible not block it. Therefore the tuning of the UV block would not be in the designed range to the limit of the range.

Last edited by rjs5327; 05-07-2024 at 11:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Does the 992 come with any UV tint from the factory?