992 e-brake uknown possition problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 06:16 PM
Vegas1
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry 992 e-brake uknown possition problem

hello,
I have a problm with my 992 e-brake, the e-brake switch light is flashing and i am getting an error to the screen about parking brake
The car had a dead battery after an accident. The scan tool erase the fault but is coming back, e-brake possition unknown.
I plug the PIWS3 diagnostic and I did auto coding and auto programing that failed as e-brake has fault possition unknown.
I did also try calibration that is not happening as possition unknown.
I plug a spare motor for the e-brake and again I am getting the same error.... the e-brake is in open possition, you can still drive the car but there is no e-brake engage.

When you try to engage the e-brake you hear a quick tuk noise but not this long zzzzzz engaging noise ,,,, both sides are the same.
They can't be broken the motors as I tried the spare one and it is the same problem.

Any suggestions ?

Thank you in advance

Last edited by Vegas1; 06-05-2023 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:57 PM
6172crew
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 68 Posts

I’ll take a poke at it. One of the things the newer cars seem to have it a “brake maintenance position”. Have you tried working that in your interface? I’m not familiar with the system your using but I’ve played with the Mercedes and Audi stuff as well as domestics and sometime logging into the higher system and finding what that system works with helps fix the lower one.
when the car was in a accident, did it damage anything or did the remove any panels? It sounds like power makes it to the Ebrake but it doesn’t have a reference. Any sensors that might not be plugged in.
The following users liked this post:
Vegas1 (06-10-2023)
Old 06-08-2023, 05:53 PM
trlin
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 27 Posts

I took my 2023 in today for the same issue, turns out they need to order a complete new e-brake system including actuator from Germany.
Old 06-08-2023, 07:19 PM
Vegas1
Track Day

It is not possible both my e-brakes to be damaged the same time and I did plug in a second hand accuetor and it is the same, I can hear a quick tuk noise but not this long zzzzzz engaging noise.
It has to do with calibrasion ....
Old 06-10-2023, 08:43 PM
Vegas1
Track Day

The car due to accident stayed 4 months with the e-brake engaged and since I disengage it, it started to have the error.

Thank you very much
Any ideals ?

Last edited by Vegas1; 06-11-2023 at 02:52 AM.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:44 PM
Z911
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 103 Posts

I just had the same issue after disconnecting the battery for a mirror tap project. I tried resetting using Autel tool, but that didn’t work. I then took the car for a 10 mile drive and while at the light in D I pulled the e brake and it engaged and the light went off.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:09 PM
Staff@WORLD
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 219 Likes on 129 Posts

Just pull the e-brake switch up and hold up. Maybe repeat action pushing down and hold (I don't remember exactly but I think you only need to pull up and hold).

The blinking light on the e-brake switch should reset and you should be ok.
- Akrapovic - BMC - TechArt - H&R - By Design - AMS - CSF - Kline - NGK - TiLugs - HRE - M Engineering - ID Injectors -
FULL SERVICE INSTALLATION FACILITY - STATE OF THE ART WIND TUNNEL DYNO - ECU TUNING
WORLD-MOTORSPORTS.COM
Old 07-11-2023, 03:59 PM
Vegas1
Track Day

I did that pushing and holding down the e-brake switch still the same problem.
Any more ideas ?
Thank you
Old 07-12-2023, 09:51 AM
Z911
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas1
I did that pushing and holding down the e-brake switch still the same problem.
Any more ideas ?
Thank you
drive it for a good while then try the methods above. A trip to the dealer is not a bad idea if that doesn’t work.
Old 07-28-2023, 11:58 AM
Vegas1
Track Day

I did drive it for 20 miles and I was pussing down or pulling up the switch for the e-brake and I had no luck.
How will you fix it if you was an idependant garage ?
Can this be covered under the warranty ?
Old 01-15-2024, 08:22 AM
mlb2023
3rd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 992 C4 Parking Brake fault

I have this error at the moment, it began as a change in the sound the parking brake makes when activated, the actuator sound lasted longer and as though it was struggling, accompanied by the flashing red LED on the brake switch and the amber warning message on the dash panel which includes the words 'temporary status driving permitted'. It seemed to sort itself out a few times but would then happen again days later. I spoke to the service team who said the brakes needed adjusting. Took it in on Friday and they charged £234 for adjusting the air gaps on the brakes. I am still under warranty so was pretty annoyed to be told that this is something that needs to be done on 992's from time to time and is a down to wear and tear (driven 26k miles on the original pads and discs which are still well within spec). It's a £105k vehicle... why don't Audis and VWs need this 'adjustment' to their electric parking brakes, sounds fishy to me. The following day I noticed pad squeal from the rear at low speeds, then on reversing there was a horrible clunk from the rear of the car and the error light came back on. The workshop seem to have done more harm than good. Vehicle is going back in on Thursday. Has anyone else experienced similar?
Old 01-15-2024, 08:38 AM
6172crew
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 68 Posts

Impossible to know unless I know how the system works. I have a Holden with an electric ebrake and it doesn’t use the main pads to set the parking brake. There is a small puck on the backside of the rotor-hub and protrudes and if it doesn’t engage it will retract with an error. The E-brake is completely separate on that system, but you would need to get access to the 992 maintenance manual or get dirty and figure it out. Someone else mentioned the maintenance menu for the brake job, my Mercedes is like that system, it does use the main pads to set the emergency brake through the dashboard menu.

I’m not a huge fan of taking the word of a service writer. They may not always give you the correct information. I do know a Porsche mechanic on the west coast but not well enough to bother him without knowing more.

I do have a Autel system and will access my 992 soon with it and maybe it’s in the menu how to reset or adaptations for the brake system.

Old 07-31-2024, 09:43 AM
elgt3
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '22 Carrera 4 GTS, I disconnected the battery so I can remove the front bumper. I installed the OEM 3rd radiator retrofit on the center. As soon as I installed the bumper and plugged all of the electrical connections, I started the car. The emergency brake light was flashing, and, on the cluster, it said for me to release the emergency brake, so I did and set the brake again. Everything worked correctly, except for the light flashing every time I started the car. I scanned for error and there were multiples. Especially on the emergency brake module. It was saying that it cannot find the brake position. I cleared it and restarted the car and still do it. I went a ahead and drove the car just to do a test drive of the cooling system. Went to get gas and when I started the car back up, everything was working correctly. The emergency light was not flashing at start up anymore. If anyone is still having this issue and haven't driven the car, try that. Other than that, a rear caliper recalibration should fix the issue.
Old 07-31-2024, 01:03 PM
5senna5
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 65 Posts

Had same issue with my '24 T. First repair they "adjusted" the e-brake and said it was out of spec. The condition returned about two days later, took it back and they ordered / replaced the e-brake actuator assembly. The situation seems resolved. There is only one actuator and its on the left rear.

Quick Reply: 992 e-brake uknown possition problem