Sponsored by:

I rented a 992 while I wait for mine to be built

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 08:06 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 362 Posts
Default I rented a 992 while I wait for mine to be built

I have a Carrera T on order that should be here by the end of July allegedly. Last weekend, I had a perfect excuse to rent a 992 from Turo as my sister was getting married in LA and I needed a car to get around there. I got a Python Green base C2 that ended up having PSE , PDK, sport chrono, and Bose (and maybe SPASM?). I just had a couple of interesting observations. Some negative and positive, and some things that were just different than I thought it they would be.

1- Porsche Sport Exhaust - It's really quiet. A lot quieter than I thought. In fact I just made a call to Soul Performance to ask about exhaust options as I'll probably order their newly designed sport cats on day 1 of ownership. The exhaust note isn't bad, isn't great. It's fine. I just want my car to be a bit louder

2- SPASM - Did my rental have it or not? It had a button for the suspension that made it softer or stiffer. If it was SPASM it was really soft and squishy. Very compliant and ultimately impressive suspension tuning. It's definitely a purposeful decision by Porsche to make it this soft. I just don't understand people who complain about SPASM being too stiff. At that point why are you getting a sports car? I think the car could easily do with double the spring rates but I'm going to leave my suspension stock (probably) as it is tuned really well

3- PDK - it's great but also kills the fun of driving the car (for me). I also am not happy with the new auto shifter. There's no +/- on the console any longer so if you drive in manual mode around town, you can't upshift while making a turn as the steering wheel needs to go more than 90º so you shuffle steer and let go of the paddles. I don't like it. The old shifter was better. I also don't like looking down to press the Park button. This car needs to be a stick-shift IMO

4- Rear view camera - what the actual f**k

5- Bose - It's not bad. I'd be happy with it. I'm sad that i'll have something worse than the Bose when my car gets here. Carrera T has the base stereo or Burmester. I opted out. I was enjoying listening to music with the Bose

6- Interior/Infotainment - it's too complicated and German. The phrasing of everything is confusing. The menus are ok. The left side gauge is a complete waste of space as a compass or a clock. Don't need either. Infotainment is not even half as good as the old iDrive from BMW. However interior overall is much improved from the 991. Different level of design. Big props to whoever fixed that interior and got rid of all that weird silverish plastic.

Overall the car I have to say is pretty attractive and fun to drive. I kept looking back at it every time I parked it and walked away. Other people commented on it a bunch too.

The following 2 users liked this post by VarTheVar:
DC1960 (06-03-2023), tourenwagen (06-03-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 08:18 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 703 Likes on 454 Posts

I don't understand the "I also don't like looking down to press the Park button." Is it the button you hate or the looking down?
Old 06-02-2023, 08:19 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHX
I don't understand the "I also don't like looking down to press the Park button." Is it the button you hate or the looking down?
Not being able to put the car in park without looking down to find the button, and also just having the park button below the shifter. Maybe I would get used to it with time. I only had the car for 48 hours.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:23 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,520 Likes on 744 Posts

Base models are not offered with SPASM just PASM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Tobeit:
dhirm5 (06-06-2023), Ikone (06-03-2023), remington (06-06-2023), Scott P (06-06-2023), VarTheVar (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 08:24 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Base models are not offered with SPASM just PASM.
That's great news. That means my car will have stiffer springs. Thank you
Old 06-02-2023, 08:26 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,520 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
That's great news. That means my car will have stiffer springs. Thank you
I lowered my base with Techart HAS and it made it a little stiffer too..I like it that way too.
The following users liked this post:
VarTheVar (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 08:33 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,196 Likes on 1,843 Posts

Fun exercise.

1. I'd hold off on the cats. Your car will have a lot less insulation, has LW glass, and if you got rear seat delete, even more sound. If you don't find it enough, the valves only open to 60% and you can get a module that opens them up to 100%. Try that first. It might be enough. Also, cats will free up power. Muffler will increase volume. Also, cats will give you more turbo noises than muffler only.

2. As mentioned above, your car will be lower and stiffer.

3. Save the manuals.

4, 5 and 6. I feel your pain.
VarTheVar (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 08:37 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 703 Likes on 454 Posts

Not being able to put the car in park without looking down to find the button, and also just having the park button below the shifter. Maybe I would get used to it with time. I only had the car for 48 hours.
Muscle memory is fairly quick with hitting the P button. I would look into the ****ty rear view backup camera view and b1tch about that while you're finding the P button. LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by PHX:
Jeahbladejeah (06-06-2023), VarTheVar (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 09:12 PM
m732sg
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, the camera. Next to useless. Not sure how that got approved for production
Old 06-02-2023, 09:14 PM
m732sg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wilder
Fun exercise.

1. I'd hold off on the cats. Your car will have a lot less insulation, has LW glass, and if you got rear seat delete, even more sound. If you don't find it enough, the valves only open to 60% and you can get a module that opens them up to 100%. Try that first. It might be enough. Also, cats will free up power. Muffler will increase volume. Also, cats will give you more turbo noises than muffler only.

2. As mentioned above, your car will be lower and stiffer.

3. Save the manuals.

4, 5 and 6. I feel your pain.
Can you elaborate on the exhaust valves opening only to 60%?
Old 06-02-2023, 09:57 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m732sg
Can you elaborate on the exhaust valves opening only to 60%?

The car is very stingy about opening the valve in a lot of conditions. That's why they sell this gizmo

https://flat6motorsports.com/product...-carrera-turbo
Old 06-02-2023, 09:59 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,196 Likes on 1,843 Posts

tourenwagen (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 01:16 AM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 697 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
Is there a video of what it sounds like inside the car?
Old 06-03-2023, 09:39 AM
m732sg
Advanced

The car is very stingy about opening the valve in a lot of conditions. That's why they sell this gizmo

https://flat6motorsports.com/product...-carrera-turbo
Wow, I've noticed this and thought there was something wrong with the car. Seems like on startup it doesn't want to open.

that's reassuring
Old 06-03-2023, 12:46 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2,006 Likes on 819 Posts

1. The PSE is probably the most disappointing option b/c it's super quiet and, frankly, I couldn't even tell the difference btw normal, sport and sport+ with windows down. The burbles - what little there are - are barely perceptible. For the pleasure of paying $3K, you also get oval pipes which, IMO, look worse than the quad Audi-esque pipes. I have since tuned my car and have exhaust valves forced open 100% in sport and sport+ and whenever I toggle the exhaust switch and that has made the exhaust noticeably louder when driving and even idling... but still not loud enough for a sports car IMO.

2. Sounds like your car has PASM b/c it's a base. IMO, PASM has excellent overall ride and handling. My SPASM equipped car, even when fully stock, felt like a lowered car... too little suspension travel. It's not that the SPASM ride is too firm per se, it's just that it runs through the suspension travel on moderate and larger bumps and dips so the suspension bottoms out quickly and when it does, the car feels like it's bucking you. Oddly, the ride quality actually improved when I installed Bilstein coilovers and lowered the car some more. Tire pressure also makes a big difference in ride quality and how firm the car feels and recommened tire pressures varies widely on the car from comfort all the way up to full load which has tire pressures in the 40+ PSI range. How many miles is on the rented 992? If it has 10K+ miles on it, the suspension will be broken in and feel noticebaly softer as well than brand new.

4. What's wrong with the rear view camera? Mine has the surround view option and the rear view camera and surround view camera work really well.

6. Agree that the infotainment system is an overly German engineered mess. The logic that is employed for menu choices and user interface is the same type of logic I get when I speak with my engineer friends. It's understandable why they programmed it the way they did... but in real life usage is just unintuitive and a hot mess. BMW's iDrive is vastly superior, though I would argue there are still occasional annoyances even with iDrive.

Quick Reply: I rented a 992 while I wait for mine to be built