Sponsored by:

Out of Warranty PDK Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 10:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
This is the perfect summary.

Please tell your friend to listen. I was in his position. Porsche did grant me a "generous" $7k discount on the $25k cost to replace my PDK box. I passed, found an indy and got it fixed for $1,500 instead. It's utter robbery what they do claiming that they're sealed units as an excuse to sell you a $25k part. Well, apparently many people know how to unseal them to replace a sensor.
That whole sealed unit nonsense never made any sense. What do they do? Put the guts in the case and then weld it shut? Of course not. If it was out together it can be taken apart. Stupid. Just trying to save money on training and faulty diagnosis and make money on parts. It’s a shame porsche does not at least make parts available.
The following users liked this post:
Wilder (06-07-2023)
Old 06-08-2023, 12:13 AM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 263 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
Here are the faults:

P1706- sensor supply voltage
P1736- Distance sensor f. shift rod gears 5/7
P1737- Distance sensor f. shift rod gears 1/3
P1735- Distance sensor f. shift rod gears 4/6
Yes, that's distance sensor failure. We manufacture the next gen replacement sensor. Please contact me if need to find a PDK repair shop near you
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (06-08-2023)
Old 06-08-2023, 12:17 AM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 263 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyclman
I would posit that the “fix” may be a superior approach, as it seems nobody is certain as to whether replacement PDK transmissions have improved, with more durable electronics.
That's not really a question... Porsche never developed anything different for 997/991/981/987 transmissions, so all the factory repairs/rebuilds/replacements will use exact same 15 year old part prone to failing. Our T-Design next generation sensor honestly are far superior.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:50 PM
skliggy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you please let me know the shops you are aware of in South Florida and Massachusetts.
Old 06-20-2023, 02:15 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

UPDATE!

After being denied by PNA (including multiple appeals), my friend had a good conversation with, Mo Reza, the GM of Porsche West Palm Beach who said he would look into it and see if there was anything he could do to help. Mo calls back the following day to tell my friend that he has arranged for everything to be covered by Porsche under warranty! They repaired the car and my friend picked it up yesterday - total invoice including diagnostics and alignment: $0!

So it turns out that there still are some stand up people/dealerships in the industry. Kudos and a major shout out to Mo Reza and Porsche West Palm Beach for renewing my faith. May the other dealerships and managers out there take a page from your book.

I highly encourage folks to bring their business to Mo Reza and Porsche West Palm Beach - they deserve it!
The following 9 users liked this post by Drew46:
adrianp89 (06-20-2023), alin2 (06-20-2023), AlterZgo (06-20-2023), Master Deep (06-20-2023), Nein Eleven (06-20-2023), por356 (06-20-2023), Staff@WORLD (06-22-2023), tmslc (06-21-2023), tomtomtomtom (06-20-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-20-2023, 02:28 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Didn't see that coming. That's awesome.
Old 06-20-2023, 02:44 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 737 Likes on 355 Posts

That was not stand up, that was generous. Out of warranty and purchased elsewhere if understand correctly. No way that the PDK should fail to the point of replacement at that mileage, but when you buy as-is, that’s the risk that usually results in a lower acquisition cost.

that said, I’m really happy for your friend. Buying a high price toy only to have that type and scope of failure slap you in the face is enough to make one lose sleep at night. Literally.
Old 06-20-2023, 03:32 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

>> That was not stand up, that was generous.
Arbitrary situations like this are beyond maddening... OP gets a 'hell no' multiple times from PCNA, then a 'good guy' steps in, waves his hands and voila? Really curious on the economics... did the 'good guy' dealer agree to this so they could bill the warranty work? Did PCNA suddenly get religion and 'do the right thing' or are they trying to avoid a class action? And most importantly what to do/say the next time this occurs - are there some special incantations to invoke?

Last edited by jlegelis; 06-20-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2023, 03:40 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 142 Posts

UPDATE!

After being denied by PNA (including multiple appeals), my friend had a good conversation with, Mo Reza, the GM of Porsche West Palm Beach who said he would look into it and see if there was anything he could do to help. Mo calls back the following day to tell my friend that he has arranged for everything to be covered by Porsche under warranty! They repaired the car and my friend picked it up yesterday - total invoice including diagnostics and alignment: $0!

So it turns out that there still are some stand up people/dealerships in the industry. Kudos and a major shout out to Mo Reza and Porsche West Palm Beach for renewing my faith. May the other dealerships and managers out there take a page from your book.

I highly encourage folks to bring their business to Mo Reza and Porsche West Palm Beach - they deserve it!
He got lucky, P WPB are crooks
Old 06-20-2023, 04:47 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

UPDATE!

Congrats to your friend. That was treatment that hasn't been afforded to everyone. Question: you said it was "repaired". Can you clarify if they opened and repaired the box or if they exchanged it with a new one? That would help understand the situation a bit more.
Old 06-21-2023, 01:21 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wilder
Congrats to your friend. That was treatment that hasn't been afforded to everyone. Question: you said it was "repaired". Can you clarify if they opened and repaired the box or if they exchanged it with a new one? That would help understand the situation a bit more.
They did the full PDK replacement.
Old 06-21-2023, 01:22 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 9914s
He got lucky, P WPB are crooks

Cleary, we had a very different experience.
Old 06-21-2023, 02:52 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

They did the full PDK replacement.
That is very lucky indeed. I had a similar experience with a Macan that I was going to buy about a year and a half ago. It only had 25k miles but was out of warranty and the failure happened just days after my test drive. I was involved in the repair decisions because I was going to buy it. The best deal Porsche offered was to discount 1/3 of the cost, which was still going to run $17k. I ended up buying another car but I know the owner got it fixed for $1,500 and I know the (reputable) shop that did the job. I was thinking maybe they repaired it but if they exchanged the box, that's some serious pull to get the factory to accept that. Congrats to your friend.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:01 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

No dealer (P-Car or other) actually 'repairs' anything any longer... they just replace whole parts / units. In these days of maximizing profit / yield and getting cars out the door, the lowest risk procedure to just replace the entire engine / transmission if there's the slightest concern of an internal malfunction. PCNA in Atlanta diagnoses the car remotely and authorizes which warranty pieces for the techs to replace according to standardized schedules. While there are certainly benefits to this approach - centralized data collection and quicker turnaround, gone are the days where they will replace bad distance sensor in a PDK. OTOH that leaves an opening for enterprising independents to solution IMS, BMS and distance sensor concerns...

Quick Reply: Out of Warranty PDK Replacement