Sponsored by:

Will a 992 last decades ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 09:47 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche992
I was having a conversation with my brother about old cars, and he says that the reason why you can still use 50+ year old cars today is that they are all mechanical and as long as you keep changing parts you will still be able to drive them. Now that cars are computer based, and software.. I was wondering what that means for a 992 purchased today ? What if the infotainment ,or other electronics go bad in the future ? Thanks!
New Porsche's builds (post 993 era) are designed to run for 100K miles, including electonics. if you get more that is great but new cars ARE NOT built like ones ones. older Porsches were all hand built and many example can last past this 100K marker but they need to be maintained religiously and many owners don't know what that means.

I have a 2001 Toyota 4 Runner I put $500 a year in in maintenance (oil change, a light that will go out, **** like that) and it has nearly 300K miles on it. It looks brand new inside and out. How many Porsche's are out there with 300K miles?

Things changed with all auto manufactures about 25 years ago and with all the safety and emissions issues manufactures face cars it is unlikely to return back to the good old days.

With Porsche's the key is to drive them ... use the electronics and they will work. These people who let them sit in their garage are actually doing harm ... every Porsche build is designed to run and run hard.

Last edited by tmslc; 06-02-2023 at 09:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ZacapaXO (06-05-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 05:34 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
Today's cars are better engineered than past cars, period. Car design in on a continuous improvement development curve fueled by competition and regulation. Not only will they last, they'll last much longer than any older car you can name. Do I miss that solid metallic clunk when I closed the door of my 993? Yes. Do I miss that very distinct aircooled 911 leather smell? Yes. Do I find it amazing that the much larger, safer, faster, more reliable 992 weighs the same as the 993 despite much, much more technology, conveniences, and safety gear? Yes. Three decades ago a 15 y/o 911 would show its age. You'd have to look for rust. Try to find rust in anything newer than 2000. It's just not really a problem. Anyway, I could go on, but you get the point... yes, they'll last and age much better with a lot less care.
Regarding "safer"...
There was a terrible drug and alcohol related 992 crash in Houston April 19 where a pedestrian was killed (the news story is easy to find with a web search).
The intoxicated driver was going 100mph, hit the curb, then the man, then the pole head on...still at very high speed. The passenger compartment from the security cam photo looks like it was very well preserved and the driver exited the wrecked 992 with reportedly minor injury.
This is the best example I have seen of the 992 possibly being the safest production metal sports car ever made.
I suspect some carbon fiber cars might be even safer.

Last edited by Tompoodie; 06-02-2023 at 09:41 PM.
ZacapaXO (06-05-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 06:11 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 697 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by tmslc
How many Porsche's are out there with 300K miles?
very few. because let's face it, many buyers are buying status, garage queens, and like to flip to a new car every few years. i'd be shocked if my 992 couldn't easily do 200k miles with routine maintenance. i sold my '05 at 230k miles and the dealer couldn't believe how good of shape it was in. all about care. we've all seen cars with 35k miles beat to death.
Porsche992 (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 06:16 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,196 Likes on 1,843 Posts

@tmslc it's hard to find high mile 911s but there are plenty of 958 and above Cayennes as well as Macans of around the same vintage with150-250k mi and going strong. Manufacturers face the challenge of meeting never ending regulations that make cars more efficient and safe but ultimately add weight. The 992 is not only safer and more efficient than the 993, it's far more powerful and capable and it weighs the same. @Tompoodie I did see that video when it happened and it's sad yet impressive. 993s were built like a brick but no way the passengers walk away from that if it was an older car. For reference, most of the Porsches I've owned and still love are from the past century and at first I wasn't excited to buy a new Porsche thinking I'd be better off with an older model.
Tompoodie (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 06:19 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,387 Likes on 1,539 Posts

"How many Porsche's are out there with 300K miles?"

I drove my first 911 to 243,000 miles with very little expense. At 115K I had to do valve guides, cam chain tensioners and heat exchangers. Plus a paint job and some minor rust repair. They are not fragile cars. (I'm on # 6 now)

The following 5 users liked this post by drcollie:
Porsche992 (06-02-2023), PorscheObsessed (06-03-2023), Tompoodie (06-02-2023), Tupper (06-04-2023), Wilder (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 06:29 PM
doplm95
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used my 992 for almost a decade before it was sold.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:29 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 703 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by doplm95
Used my 992 for almost a decade before it was sold.
Ummm...the 992 only came out in 2020 though. Are you using the time machine again?
Porsche992 (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 03:03 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 347 Likes on 207 Posts

Over the years, the 911 has benefited from many upgrades which insure the durability of the car for years to come. The original steel bodies were replaced by galvanized steel, and now they're all aluminum. Progress. But progress also means the digitizing of what was formerly analog, all for the better in terms of performance and amenities; but also with service life issues in which a once state of the art technology cycles through obsolescent to obsolete to difficult or impossible to support. Porsche Classic seems to have a handle on this, so I'm hopeful that should I need a replacement PCM screen in 20 years, I can get one. But technologies do die. If you've an important document on an 8" floppy disk made 40 years ago, can you retrieve it? (I was curious and researched it. It's possible. Maybe.) Then again, I'm more concerned about the availability of gasoline in 20 years than I am with the PCM's longevity.
Porsche992 (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 09:26 PM
Porsche992
Pro

Received 423 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by F8Driver
Over the years, the 911 has benefited from many upgrades which insure the durability of the car for years to come. The original steel bodies were replaced by galvanized steel, and now they're all aluminum. Progress. But progress also means the digitizing of what was formerly analog, all for the better in terms of performance and amenities; but also with service life issues in which a once state of the art technology cycles through obsolescent to obsolete to difficult or impossible to support. Porsche Classic seems to have a handle on this, so I'm hopeful that should I need a replacement PCM screen in 20 years, I can get one. But technologies do die. If you've an important document on an 8" floppy disk made 40 years ago, can you retrieve it? (I was curious and researched it. It's possible. Maybe.) Then again, I'm more concerned about the availability of gasoline in 20 years than I am with the PCM's longevity.
Gasoline will be available , I drive an electric car its the future/present there's no escaping that one, but gas will be available in 20 years and probably 50
Old 06-03-2023, 09:45 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 577 Posts

I'll keep my 993 much longer than my 992 so I'm not too worried about it personally. Despite being 27 years old already it is pretty bulletproof so far!
Porsche992 (06-04-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 03:42 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 817 Posts

This thread is kind of resonating. I have a special Q7 I bought in the Philippines back in 09. I still use the car today. As for decades of reliability I think mechanically speaking the car should last the test of time. That engine is bulletproof, the electronics on the other hand…now that’s a problem. The screen went dead and have been waiting almost a year for a replacement because it’s a phased out part. The dealer finally got it in last month. The radio module has been dead for a little longer. It has 3 revisions and all 3 revisions are discontinued. Over 1 year waiting on it and I gave up. Had the part numbers on eBay listed to ping me when one came up and the 2nd revision ended up popping up and I have it on hand to bring with me there now.

Electronics replacement on older cars is a real problem and unless there are specialty places that can fix these modules then we will be forced to try salvage lots and eBay to try and find used replacements which doesn’t guarantee the problem stays fixed either.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:56 AM
Emosgarage
Instructor

Received 342 Likes on 118 Posts

This thread reminded me of the epic fail when Mercedes used biodegradable wire insulation on their engine harnesses in the early 90’s… stuff started cracking and crumbling after a few years. All those cars now need to be rewired to be drivable…. Sometimes people are too smart for their own good….
Old 06-04-2023, 09:53 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 185 Posts

i hear you all. i have a 992 as well and have owned three other generations (relatively recently) and the 992 is by far the best. in fact i am looking for a second 992.

i baby mine like you would not believe. i wash it weekly, i take it to my mechanic or call and speak to him personally for anything new or out of the ordinary. i must drive the poor guy crazy. i find the best fuel for it. i have the best auto detailer in the state looking after it. just like many of you, my 992 will look like it does now in 5 year, 10 years, etc. no question about it. and in my opinion, the 992 is one of the best ways you can spend ~ $125K on a car today if you want something fun you can use as a daily driver and don't have kids you need to run around.

I'm an accountant and i daily drive mine putting about ~ 40 miles a day on it. so i really use it. i wait for both the coolant and oil to get to temperature before going above 4K rpm. but i do drive it hard, no, not all the time but i happen to love the way the 992 redlines in 2nd and 3rd gear, just like many of you. i will change the oil every six month no matter the miles (i actually have one scheduled tomorrow as a matter of fact). i am / will be proactive with maintenance. i know how important it is for anything and just like many of you i really know and have come to love the car and i understand what Porsche wanted to accomplish with this generation. will the 992 go down in history as one of their finest and most valuable? who knows but it doesn't matter because it is a fun car no matter where it falls in line with the other generations.

the real point of my comment, despite my love for my 992, is modern cars are simply not designed like they were in the past. they are just not. they are designed to run for 100K miles fairly reliably with regular maintenance. the parts on these cars are not intended to be rebuilt or fixed but replaced. it is good in some ways, bad in others.

find a dealer with a base 992 and a nice 993 example and compare the two. the 993 feels different from the moment you open the door to how you sit, to having an actual key to turn the motor over ... it is just a different experience. i am not saying either is better -- they are just different. some would argue older hand made cars are better while others would argue the opposite citing automation removes the human error element.

i hope i am wrong on my 100K mile comment. i hope my 992 (which just turned a year this month ... i am the second owner ... the first owner had it for 2K miles and moved up to a GTS but took very very good care of it). so i have just over 5 years or remaining warranty and it has needed nothing to date and i have put 4K hard miles on it in various climates and altitudes, etc. i will be pushing 50K miles by the time my warranty is up and i hope it doesn't ever need to have a things done outside of routine maintenance.

time will tell. but regardless, part of what makes the 992 such a great platform and such an attractive car to daily drive (while you have a warranty) is it is more usable then other generations ... it has more useful **** ... it has a proper a/c that works ... it sounds amazing at any rpm and it has just the right amount of power that is usable around town and it handles like a modern Porsche that makes everyone feel like a race car driver.

sorry for the long reply!

Last edited by tmslc; 06-04-2023 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:39 AM
German1967
Pro

Received 607 Likes on 273 Posts

I tend to keep my cars for 8+ years and 100+k miles. I bought a 10-year warranty on the 992 C2S just in case something crazy happens (eg PDK). I drive it around 6k miles a year (Cab). Maybe more when I eventually retire. The car is a blast to drive and nothing beats driving a Cab on a beautiful day, I plan to keep this car as long as it will last or until I have to give up driving, which hopefully is decades away.
The following 3 users liked this post by German1967:
2thHappy (06-04-2023), La Carrera (06-04-2023), Richard_Wallace (06-04-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 11:49 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,509 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
I'll keep my 993 much longer than my 992 so I'm not too worried about it personally. Despite being 27 years old already it is pretty bulletproof so far!
Originally Posted by tmslc
i hear you all. i have a 992 as well and have owned three other generations (relatively recently) and the 992 is by far the best. in fact i am looking for a second 992.

i baby mine like you would not believe. i wash it weekly, i take it to my mechanic or call and speak to him personally for anything new or out of the ordinary. i must drive the poor guy crazy. i find the best fuel for it. i have the best auto detailer in the state looking after it. just like many of you, my 992 will look like it does now in 5 year, 10 years, etc. no question about it. and in my opinion, the 992 is one of the best ways you can spend ~ $125K on a car today if you want something fun you can use as a daily driver and don't have kids you need to run around.

I'm an accountant and i daily drive mine putting about ~ 40 miles a day on it. so i really use it. i wait for both the coolant and oil to get to temperature before going above 4K rpm. but i do drive it hard, no, not all the time but i happen to love the way the 992 redlines in 2nd and 3rd gear, just like many of you. i will change the oil every six month no matter the miles (i actually have one scheduled tomorrow as a matter of fact). i am / will be proactive with maintenance. i know how important it is for anything and just like many of you i really know and have come to love the car and i understand what Porsche wanted to accomplish with this generation. will the 992 go down in history as one of their finest and most valuable? who knows but it doesn't matter because it is a fun car no matter where it falls in line with the other generations.

the real point of my comment, despite my love for my 992, is modern cars are simply not designed like they were in the past. they are just not. they are designed to run for 100K miles fairly reliably with regular maintenance. the parts on these cars are not intended to be rebuilt or fixed but replaced. it is good in some ways, bad in others.

find a dealer with a base 992 and a nice 993 example and compare the two. the 993 feels different from the moment you open the door to how you sit, to having an actual key to turn the motor over ... it is just a different experience. i am not saying either is better -- they are just different. some would argue older hand made cars are better while others would argue the opposite citing automation removes the human error element.

i hope i am wrong on my 100K mile comment. i hope my 992 (which just turned a year this month ... i am the second owner ... the first owner had it for 2K miles and moved up to a GTS but took very very good care of it). so i have just over 5 years or remaining warranty and it has needed nothing to date and i have put 4K hard miles on it in various climates and altitudes, etc. i will be pushing 50K miles by the time my warranty is up and i hope it doesn't ever need to have a things done outside of routine maintenance.

time will tell. but regardless, part of what makes the 992 such a great platform and such an attractive car to daily drive (while you have a warranty) is it is more usable then other generations ... it has more useful **** ... it has a proper a/c that works ... it sounds amazing at any rpm and it has just the right amount of power that is usable around town and it handles like a modern Porsche that makes everyone feel like a race car driver.

sorry for the long reply!
993 is put together with mostly metal leather and Phillips head screws. There are some electronics, but it's incredibly primitive and there are zero nannies outside ABS. With basic maintenance the car should easily outlive me.

There are quirks to a mostly hand built car. The body panel alignment is never 100%. The ergonomics and interior design is based on a 60s mentality and the labeling and button placement is completely inscrutable. In an older car, it's charming but it would never fly with a new car. I mean Porsche expects you to actually check the oil and periodically top it off. I can only imagine the bitching in this forum if the 992 had even 1/2 of the quirks of the 993.

There are pros and cons to both, which is why having both a classic and modern 911 is a nice combo to have.
Helios59 (06-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Will a 992 last decades ?