Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New PTS Carrera scratched during headlight removal for PPF-need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2023 | 04:38 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Originally Posted by ADMfighter63
10-25%? That's excessive. cars in full accidents that are repaired are usually 10-15% under what their retail price would've been otherwise. if anything, a dealer would consider something like this (somewhat) normal wear and tear...not bad enough to devalue the car. like others said, find the. best person to touch it up...once the PPF is over it, i doubt you'll be able to see anything.
Thank you ADMfighter (I lost the fight to ADM...$8K for my car!)...I will keep it in that range, and will probably not push
back at whatever he offers as long as it isn't zero (or if zero, some kind of service in the future that will be virtually no cost to him. I didn't have a reference range.

Note to everyone: I am not mentioning the name of the business because it is a highly skilled and reputable business. I do not want to impugn them.
I met with the tech yesterday AM who described what happened.
The left headlight was stubborn coming out, and therefore came out suddenly and uncontrollably. It was just an accident. This young man is articulate and very bright and very passionate about the craft he has chosen. I could see that in speaking to him quite clearly, quite quickly.
Believe it or not, I would not hesitate to take another car there again. But I wouldn't have the headlights removed! I already asked them not to remove the mirrors.
They were trying to do an extra good job for me because I am a kindred true car guy; since they already had to remove the wheels for ceramic coating, they
and you have to remove the wheels to remove the headlights they went ahead and did so. I appreciate that they were going the extra mile for me.
For less special cars, I don't PPF them, but would still do it for special cars that are greater $100K in value.

Last edited by Tompoodie; 05-27-2023 at 04:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wilder (05-27-2023)
Old 05-27-2023 | 04:49 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Good for you @Tompoodie . Glad you're feeling better about it and it's getting resolved. Hope you get it back soon so you can start enjoying your new car. Godspeed.
Tompoodie (05-27-2023)
Old 05-28-2023 | 02:48 AM
El Edmundo
Instructor

Originally Posted by jonbek
The way you described the empath aspects and the car taking on the scratch with respect to the experiences you and your wife are enduring, I'd almost keep the scratch and celebrate it as a marker of this moment in your life. Perhaps thats silly and sentimental but it's a Friday.
When I read jonbek's statement it really touched me. It is beautifully written and It is so true and so wise. I've been through a similar situation with my wife and have had a close call myself and what its taught me is to control my worries about material things and put all my focus and energy to the loved ones who need me most.
The following 3 users liked this post by El Edmundo:
johny221 (05-28-2023), jonbek (06-02-2023), Tompoodie (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023 | 03:06 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Follow-up:Just the bevel around the headlight was re-sprayed and expertly blended. Looks good from a photo, I will report back when I take delivery next week with more detailed photos. Paint has to cure for one week before PPF can be applied.
This story is going to have a happy ending. It's almost like taking delivery of the car when it was new from the dealer all over again.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tompoodie:
Booth9999 (06-03-2023), Cyclman (06-03-2023), Icegrill (06-02-2023), jhenson29 (06-02-2023)
Old 11-09-2023 | 12:35 AM
theclutch
Instructor

@Tompoodie any updates as to how it came out? Pics? I'm in a similar pickle and wondering what to do.
pgap718 (11-09-2023)
Old 11-09-2023 | 08:03 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theclutch
@Tompoodie any updates as to how it came out? Pics? I'm in a similar pickle and wondering what to do.
No way! What happened?

Quick Reply: New PTS Carrera scratched during headlight removal for PPF-need advice