992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rumor: all 992.2 are hybrids EXCEPT Base and GT cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2023 | 06:37 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

How much will it weigh with all of those batteries? Or will it just be a mild hybrid with an extra 48 V battery?
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (05-23-2023)
Old 05-22-2023 | 07:00 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by blackland
How much will it weigh with all of those batteries? Or will it just be a mild hybrid with an extra 48 V battery?

Most hybrids only have a fraction of the battery capacity/weight you find in EV’s. So, I would not expect a significant weight penalty.

For example, the Li battery on the Prius only weighs about 35 lbs.
Old 05-22-2023 | 09:45 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

My guess is Porsche follows BMW, Mercedes, and JLR with their 3.0 sixes by going single bigger turbo for more peak power and adding mild hybrid assistance for low RPM torque fill and smoother start/stop operation. Maybe as far as MB has done by eliminating belt-driven accessory drives. I detest hybrids, but I have a Mercedes with this mild system and it is extremely well done.

A full plug-in performance hybrid like the E-Ray will, I expect, be a separate model.
Old 05-22-2023 | 10:18 PM
bwhale
Advanced

Porsche has zero need to refresh the 992.1 for at least a few years. The ICE ban in Europe keeps getting pushed back and the car is already effectively sold out for at least the next 1-2 years, if not longer. They realistically only have downside in whatever they do with 992.2 - even if its perfect, it will only maintain the current demand seen with 992.1.

It would seem like lunacy to force hybrids and other unwanted technologies upon your customers, but I guess the silver lining is each time Porsche has gone and done something seemingly stupid (pdk-only 991.1 gt3, 4-cyl 718, etc), they backtrack with the next generation and make something very interesting (911R, 991.2 gt3 touring, 718 4.0, etc). So if the 992.2 is a goofy overweight soulless hybrid, odds are favorable that the 994.1 will be brilliant!
Old 05-23-2023 | 01:36 AM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

As somebody with (probably the final model year) 992.1 with a manual transmission arriving in October I’ll speculate:

what if?? Just what if, Porsche knows their customer base and they do this because the hybrid power train is an actual upgrade and makes the car even more awesome and from a stats perspective more competitive performance wise??? (I know it’s unpopular to point out that there are quicker cars available for the same $$)

porsche isn’t stupid. Sick of people acting like a hybrid 992 is going to be such a downgrade because I’m confident it won’t be.

im betting it’s more likely that I’m bummed I didn’t get a 992.2 vs thrilled that the final year of 992.1s are some special collectors car.
The following 2 users liked this post by slc4s:
Alan Smithee (05-23-2023), rasetsu (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023 | 01:54 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Do we know for a fact that we can't have manual transmission with hybrid power? Of course the pdk 8-gear has a space for hybrid power but does that rule out a solution for the manual ?
Old 05-23-2023 | 02:12 AM
BondJ
Pro

Below the opening paragraph of a ten page spread from this month’s Car (uk) magazine. Make of it what you will:

“Try to see it in rational terms. The key – and we appreciate it’s not easy when it comes to matters 911 – is to try to avoid getting too emotional. Accentuate the positives. Count your blessings. Because, yes, the 911 will – according to the current plan – go electric early in the next decade. But between now and then (and let’s face it, 2013 feels like a lifetime ago...) we have a feast of hybrid and naturally-aspirated 911s to look forward to.

The extensively facelifted 992, the 992.2, arrives early next year. As ever, this generation will run to an array of body styles and powertrains, including bigger-displacement hybridised boxer engines. But if that idea gets you panicking, don’t: the high-revving, naturally-aspirated GT3 models are safe through 2028. But there’s change on the GT front, too – the flagship GT2 RS (last seen back in 2018, when its mix of race-bred chassis and savage turbo power was bested only by Ferrari’s transcendental 488 Pista in our Sports Car Giant Test) is set to become the marque’s first hybridised flagship supercar since the 918 Spyder.”
Tsobocop (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023 | 02:28 AM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

I think the reality is Porsche needs to look at the future. And for what I've seen with my own daughters, their BFs, and all the millennials they hang out with, is enjoying driving is a dying breed. No way a hybrid will drive nicer than today's 992 IMO... but Porsche needs to start changing with the times before it's too late. And political (EPA, etc) and environmental pressures too. And none of the millennials I know could drive a manual even if their lives depended on it (ha ha), so those are probably disappearing completely very soon. The young kids basically want the cars to drive them. And doing maintenance themselves? You'd have to put a gun to their heads. Ha ha. All of that is sad, but true, for the most part.

Last edited by JCtx; 05-23-2023 at 02:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCtx:
GuardsRed992 (08-28-2023), Tedster (05-25-2023)
Old 05-23-2023 | 04:02 AM
blackairforce1
Instructor

Alright that sounds out of touch. We (including me) are still buying manual transmission, especially now since we're seeing a significant return in JDM sports car since the 90's thanks to Toyota. All those 90's JDM car prices have been skyrocketed by...millennials with money! There's less people in general doing maintenance simply because manufactures as made it significantly difficult to do so. We can't event reset our 992's oil change interval without a $$$ scan tool!!

Last edited by blackairforce1; 05-23-2023 at 04:03 AM.
catdog2 (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023 | 04:40 AM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elp_jc
And none of the millennials I know could drive a manual even if their lives depended on it (ha ha), so those are probably disappearing completely very soon.
Well, this millennial learned on a manual, has spent more years driving manuals than automatics, and has a manual 992 sitting at Emden waiting for a boat.
The following 8 users liked this post by jhenson29:
alin2 (05-23-2023), BobcatRidge (09-01-2023), catdog2 (05-23-2023), incoming992s (05-23-2023), rob929 (05-23-2023), Schn3ll (05-23-2023), Tsobocop (05-23-2023), txpackers (05-23-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-23-2023 | 06:51 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by catdog2
Do we know for a fact that we can't have manual transmission with hybrid power? Of course the pdk 8-gear has a space for hybrid power but does that rule out a solution for the manual ?
Not necessarily, however the same provisional space for an electric motor does not exist on the current manual transmission as it does on the PDK. Also, the hybrid mules testing are all PDK cars.

I'll post my tin foil hat thread again: https://rennlist.com/forums/general-...at-thread.html

Buy a manual if you want one now while you still can, because no one knows what the future holds in terms of hybridization compatibility. I also don't see Porsche reversing course and offering a PDK on the base Carrera again, so there is a potential scenario that the manual is only available on GT cars in 992.2.
Old 05-23-2023 | 10:08 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

From a purely selfish perspective, I hope Porsche eliminates the manual sooner rather than later.
incoming992s (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023 | 10:53 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

I think the reality is Porsche needs to look at the future. And for what I've seen with my own daughters, their BFs, and all the millennials they hang out with, is enjoying driving is a dying breed. No way a hybrid will drive nicer than today's 992 IMO... but Porsche needs to start changing with the times before it's too late. And political (EPA, etc) and environmental pressures too. And none of the millennials I know could drive a manual even if their lives depended on it (ha ha), so those are probably disappearing completely very soon. The young kids basically want the cars to drive them. And doing maintenance themselves? You'd have to put a gun to their heads. Ha ha. All of that is sad, but true, for the most part.
The more rapid the change, the more people cling to nostalgia. That includes generations that weren't there to remember. They see things they missed and want them. That's why gen Z loves everything 70's to 90's. All the millenials I know drive standard and my generation (X) certainly does. I don't think demand for manuals is going away despite increase demand for automatics. In fact, I'd say that cars like the 911 are creating a resurgence. It might be niche, but it's not going away anytime soon.
Old 05-23-2023 | 08:17 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhenson29
Well, this millennial learned on a manual, has spent more years driving manuals than automatics, and has a manual 992 sitting at Emden waiting for a boat.
Good for you, but you're replying in an angry tone, like if I said 'ALL' millennials don't drive manuals. If you go back to my post, I clearly said 'all millennials I KNOW', so there obviously are many that drive manuals that I don't know, like you. All of my nephews and nieces, and sons and daughters of friends, all of which grew up driving manuals, don't. Bottom line is that's not a statistically correct sample, but numbers don't lie: Look at the percentage of manual cars now vs years ago, and it's lower than ever. Yes, demand is still there, but the problem is when it gets below a certain point, it's not worth producing them anymore. And that's precisely why many automakers don't make many manual sports cars anymore; Porsche is one of the very few left. And at the very least, manual owners are paying dearly for the 'privilege', since a PDK used to be like $4K+ extra, and now a manual is a no-cost option, meaning you're paying 4 grand for one. I'm a manual guy too, but will have to buy PDK because my wife needs to be able to drive it. Oh well. My other option is to buy 2 vehicles (one manual and one auto) instead of the $135K+ 992, and might have to do precisely that if I can't buy the C2 I configured at MSRP.

Last edited by JCtx; 05-23-2023 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2023 | 08:44 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Good for you, but you're replying in an angry tone, like if I said 'ALL' millennials don't drive manuals. If you go back to my post, I clearly said 'all millennials I KNOW',
I’m aware of what you said. I’m at least old enough to read. Small words and lots of pictures though.

It wasn’t an angry tone.

I just think you not knowing any millinials that can drive a manual, and feeling the need to share that with the class, says more about you than millinials.

Quick Reply: Rumor: all 992.2 are hybrids EXCEPT Base and GT cars