Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 type 992

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 04:26 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 174 Posts

For looks or absolute best track performance, Coupe. For casual/daily driving experience (especially in warm weather), Cabriolet. As a way to split the difference, the Targa. Also the Targa if attempting to create a throwback look (you know, herringbone cloth seat inserts, etc.).

Note that the car in my profile pic is a coupe, but the car I have on order is a convertible.

Last edited by Just J; 05-12-2023 at 04:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dan006 (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 04:42 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

I always preferred the Targa (best of both worlds) but start to like the Coupe the most - the true sports car to me and by far the best body lines, aesthetics. Cab - I just don't like the bodylines of cab's (big hump) and I also learned that here in FL its not all that much fun to drive with the roof open (I still have a RF in my garage but barely drive with it open). I start to look at Cab's as "old people" cars...old in mind not in age. Sorry, just being honest.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tobeit:
Dan006 (05-12-2023), svkarl (05-14-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 05:06 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
I always preferred the Targa (best of both worlds) but start to like the Coupe the most - the true sports car to me and by far the best body lines, aesthetics. Cab - I just don't like the bodylines of cab's (big hump) and I also learned that here in FL its not all that much fun to drive with the roof open (I still have a RF in my garage but barely drive with it open). I start to look at Cab's as "old people" cars...old in mind not in age. Sorry, just being honest.
I’m in FL and my top is down on every drive October thru April. And early mornings/evenings May-Sept. Obviously with the exception of rain which is generally during the day in the summer anyways. It rarely ever rains in Winter.

No idea how all these people here drive top down in the middle of the day in Summer when it’s in the 90s with high UV. I did that my first summer with the car because I was so excited but I’d be sweating on my way home from work. Since then I leave it up in summer if the sun is out.

A nice thing with the Cab over the Targa is much less wind buffeting, SPASM, and the ability to quickly put the top up in 12 seconds up to 30mph if it starts to rain. Targa you have to be stopped. But I’m now a convertible guy.
Dan006 (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 05:10 PM
shelbyking
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg
Which Chocolate do you prefer?

Neuhaus Bruyerre Cote d'Or…
Hersheys or Nestle.
Old 05-12-2023, 05:14 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Master Deep
I’m in FL and my top is down on every drive October thru April. And early mornings/evenings May-Sept. Obviously with the exception of rain which is generally during the day in the summer anyways. It rarely ever rains in Winter.

No idea how all these people here drive top down in the middle of the day in Summer when it’s in the 90s with high UV. I did that my first summer with the car because I was so excited but I’d be sweating on my way home from work. Since then I leave it up in summer if the sun is out.

A nice thing with the Cab over the Targa is much less wind buffeting, SPASM, and the ability to quickly put the top up in 12 seconds up to 30mph if it starts to rain. Targa you have to be stopped. But I’m now a convertible guy.
Yeah, I know what you mean with nicer to drive in winter or sunrise but this just does not do it for me. Interesting to hear that wind buffeting is worth in the Targa - would not have guessed as I already don't like it in any cab. Good points in SPASM etc...I think you just confirmed for me that I further gravitate away from Targa (and Cab) and like the Coupe even more.
Old 05-12-2023, 05:26 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I know what you mean with nicer to drive in winter or sunrise but this just does not do it for me. Interesting to hear that wind buffeting is worth in the Targa - would not have guessed as I already don't like it in any cab. Good points in SPASM etc...I think you just confirmed for me that I further gravitate away from Targa (and Cab) and like the Coupe even more.
Do you use the power wind deflector? Makes a huge difference. Above 70 I put the windows up also on the highway.

But can’t go wrong with a coupe. Handles better and has the best looks.
Old 05-12-2023, 05:34 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Do you use the power wind deflector? Makes a huge difference. Above 70 I put the windows up also on the highway.

But can’t go wrong with a coupe. Handles better and has the best looks.
Not sure what you mean but I installed the AWE foils on my coupe windows to help with buffeting. On my RF its a bit better only problem there is I am too tall and literally my head sticks up to high getting a lot of wind (I am 6'3"). As a kid I always thought owning a CAB (any cab) is the epitome of success/richness ...because roof down can only be used at certain times, which made it extremely exclusive in my mind ...since than I owned a few Cab's and got that out of my system. Nothing wrong if its your cup of tea...I am just loving the clean lines of the coupe's.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:38 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

In my eyes the coupe is by far the best looking. However, on a nice day nothing beats driving in a cab. The targa is not as nice as the cab for a nice day, but is much nicer looking than the cab, but not as nice looking as the coupe.

If these were tires, the coupe would be the max summer performance, the cab would be the high performance snow tires and the targa would be the all seasons. (please do not take this analogy too seriously!)
Old 05-12-2023, 06:41 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

I did not know there was a non-Cabriolet 911 for sale?

justabout (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 06:56 PM
Dan006
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by German1967
I did not know there was a non-Cabriolet 911 for sale?

Great with the bonus photo. porsches are beautiful

Last edited by Dan006; 05-12-2023 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:49 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

As a Targa owner, I have obvious bias, but I don't find the buffeting worse in the Targa and regularly (and comfortably) drive with the top and windows down comfortably at "ahem" highway speeds (let's just say 80+ and not specify MPH or KPH). I am not sure that 12 seconds vs 19 seconds is going to make a huge difference in dropping the roof and I can do it while moving (granted not up to 30mph) with the SmartTop. But there is NO right model - only the model that is right for you. I love my Targa, but I am sure I am sure I would also love my Coupe, Cab, T, Dakar or whatever if I had one.
Dan006 (05-13-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 12:26 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Not sure what you mean but I installed the AWE foils on my coupe windows to help with buffeting. On my RF its a bit better only problem there is I am too tall and literally my head sticks up to high getting a lot of wind (I am 6'3"). As a kid I always thought owning a CAB (any cab) is the epitome of success/richness ...because roof down can only be used at certain times, which made it extremely exclusive in my mind ...since than I owned a few Cab's and got that out of my system. Nothing wrong if its your cup of tea...I am just loving the clean lines of the coupe's.
Ah you have a coupe. The 991 and 992 Cabs have a button on the console that lifts a power mesh wind deflector over the rear seats that works fantastic with the top down.
Old 05-13-2023, 02:02 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 481 Posts

The 991 and 992 Cabs have a button on the console that lifts a power mesh wind deflector over the rear seats that works fantastic with the top down.
I’m worried that my kid isn’t going to want me to put the wind deflector up.
Old 05-13-2023, 02:36 PM
Cokerrat
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Differentiating between buffeting and wind noise…. Ie buffeting being the low frequency harmonics that hurt your ears versus noise from road, wind, etc. The targa does not have buffeting in most conditions, nor is there much air movement in the cabin. Noise ramps up with speed but you can carry on a conversation at anything under highway speed. At highway speeds and above, you have to speak up to be heard clearly.

I’ve only experienced actual buffetting (and only mildly) at highway speeds with strong cross wind, then air movement over the top starts to dip deeper into the cabin. Light breeze across hair becomes full-on hair blowing everywhere, and noise becomes objectionable. I’m sure it would be difficult to design the car to deal with anything other than front-to-back airflow.

All that said, I’ve not driven in a cabriolet so am not sure how much of these same characteristics applies to it.
Old 05-13-2023, 04:00 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhenson29
I’m worried that my kid isn’t going to want me to put the wind deflector up.
😂 yea I gave my parents a ride and it gets blustery for the rear seat passengers above 50mph. That’s one downside. Can’t use the wind deflector if you carry people in the back.

Quick Reply: 911 type 992