Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

finally got an allocation for 992 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2023 | 09:32 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SS22
Wrong! My info is based on Porsche’s statements.

Porsche: “The service life of the lithium iron phosphate battery is 2.5 times that of a conventional lead-acid battery, but it only weighs approximately a third as much, at 12.75 kilograms.” LINK

Also from Porsche: “Thanks to the advanced battery technology and power density, 20 per cent less space is needed and the weight of the on-board battery is reduced by more than half, from 60 pounds to 28 pounds. These features made it possible to reduce the 95 Ah capacity of a conventional lead-acid battery to 60 Ah for the LiFePO4 battery.”

https://press.porsche.com/download/p...1&previewpdf=1 (page 11)

The lightweight lithium-ion battery is 12.75 kg (per one Porsche statement) or 28 lb (per the other Porsche statement). That’s correct because 12.75 kg = 28.1 lb.

The regular battery is about 60 lb / 27 kg (per one Porsche statement).

So the lightweight battery saves at least 32 lb.

The RAS system by itself adds about 7-15 lbs from what I’ve read online (can’t find a definitive source). If that’s right, adding RAS as an option saves an overall 17-25 lbs.
Scheme of things the weight difference is a non-issue in a car that weighs 3300+ lb / 1500+kg. Just get the car you want to live with.
The following users liked this post:
CodyBigdog (05-09-2023)
Old 05-08-2023 | 10:04 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aggie57
Scheme of things the weight difference is a non-issue in a car that weighs 3300+ lb / 1500+kg. Just get the car you want to live with.
For sure. The RAS is awesome because of the added stability and improvement in driving experience. I’m just saying that it also adds a better/lighter battery system and actually makes the car slightly lighter (in case someone might thing adding RAS would make the car heavier like some other options do). But totally with you that 50 lbs here or there isn’t gonna make any difference particularly if used on the street.
Old 05-08-2023 | 10:10 PM
johnohara
Instructor

My spec: Agate, manual, centerlocks, Bose, RAS, Leather steering wheel (not racetex), folding mirrors, extended range, glass sunroof, ventilated leather seats.

John
Old 05-08-2023 | 10:25 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
Extended range fuel tank if it is not AWD-a definite bargain
I’m super excited about the extended range tank.

A guy a work asked me about my incoming car last week.

“What kind of car do you have coming in?”

”911 GTS Cab.”

“Nice. I just got a C8. How much horsepower does it have?”

”I don’t know…but let me tell you about the gas tank!”
The following 3 users liked this post by jhenson29:
bobert75 (05-09-2023), lone992 (05-08-2023), Staffie Guy (05-09-2023)
Old 05-08-2023 | 10:44 PM
lone992
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scott P
^^ I'm with you which is why I didn't order any of those on my T. Turn your damn head and look if you want to change lanes, it's not like you're driving a car with limited sight lines FFS.
The only nanny I put on my T build was LCA. Just to many folks don't seem to understand how to properly drive. These same people also like to sit in your blind spot these days. I'll take all the help I can get to possibly avoid an accident.
alin2 (05-08-2023)
Old 05-09-2023 | 02:03 AM
992 911 GTS

My advice is to get exactly what you want. Don’t penny pinch because it’s so challenging to get an allocation it might take a while to get another bite at the apple. The car is great by the way!
The following 2 users liked this post by 992 911 GTS:
dnolletti (05-10-2023), Porsche992 (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023 | 04:18 AM
bobert75
Racer

For sure. The RAS is awesome because of the added stability and improvement in driving experience. I’m just saying that it also adds a better/lighter battery system and actually makes the car slightly lighter (in case someone might thing adding RAS would make the car heavier like some other options do). But totally with you that 50 lbs here or there isn’t gonna make any difference particularly if used on the street.
I've heard the electronic actuators for the RAS allegedly weigh around 14-16 lbs each, which [when added together] would more or less fully negate the weight savings of the upgraded battery* but, like you, I have not seen a definitive source for those figures therefore it's just speculation. So we can't say for certain that the RAS option saves any weight. Regardless, if there is in fact any weight difference at all, it's a trivial amount whether it's a few lbs less or a few lbs more - a difference I wouldn't even feel in my 2300 lb Miata, let alone a 911 weighing roughly a half ton more.

*I think it's debatable whether the upgraded battery is "better" - for sure, its performance is better (supposedly the RAS requires its higher performance) when it's working (i.e., not turning the car into a brick). There are so many reports of issues w/these batteries. My incoming Carrera T has it (despite no RAS - this battery is standard on the T so the RAS option def adds weight on a T!) so I sure hope it doesn't cause any trouble.
Fullyield (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023 | 07:53 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bobert75
I've heard the electronic actuators for the RAS allegedly weigh around 14-16 lbs each, which [when added together] would more or less fully negate the weight savings of the upgraded battery* but, like you, I have not seen a definitive source for those figures therefore it's just speculation. So we can't say for certain that the RAS option saves any weight. Regardless, if there is in fact any weight difference at all, it's a trivial amount whether it's a few lbs less or a few lbs more - a difference I wouldn't even feel in my 2300 lb Miata, let alone a 911 weighing roughly a half ton more.

*I think it's debatable whether the upgraded battery is "better" - for sure, its performance is better (supposedly the RAS requires its higher performance) when it's working (i.e., not turning the car into a brick). There are so many reports of issues w/these batteries. My incoming Carrera T has it (despite no RAS - this battery is standard on the T so the RAS option def adds weight on a T!) so I sure hope it doesn't cause any trouble.
I don’t think there can be any question that the whole RAS system makes the car lighter or else Porsche wouldn’t add RAS to the lightweight package (at least that’s the configuration on the GTS Configurator). They could’ve simply added the lightweight battery and skip the RAS from the lightweight package.

I wouldn’t worry about the reliability. Porsche claims it lasts 2.5x longer than the regular battery plus you’ll be under warranty.

Old 05-09-2023 | 09:36 AM
omaralt
Racer

thanks! its not AWD so i'm definitely getting the extended fuel tank

currently its a chalk on black leather; but debating if i want to go full GTS interior.... Debating between the 18 vs 4 way seats. I had the 14 way seats in my 991.2 and definitely want the sport plus seats this time around.

also debating the premium pack. only thing i care for is folding mirrors and Bose..

too many choices lol
Old 05-09-2023 | 10:50 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by omaralt
thanks! its not AWD so i'm definitely getting the extended fuel tank

currently its a chalk on black leather; but debating if i want to go full GTS interior.... Debating between the 18 vs 4 way seats. I had the 14 way seats in my 991.2 and definitely want the sport plus seats this time around.

also debating the premium pack. only thing i care for is folding mirrors and Bose..

too many choices lol
You could do the GTS interior in leather and still get some race-tex with the GTS logo on the headrests and nice stitching.

I had 14-way on my Panamera and was worried 4-way wouldn’t give me enough adjustability so I opted for the 18-way. No regrets!

Add the premium package!

Chalk is a fantastic color and I’ve loved it on my Panamera. Beautiful, changes character in different lighting, and relatively easy to keep clean with ceramic coating. You gotta get the black accents though otherwise it may look boring.
omaralt (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023 | 03:35 PM
360MVA
Racer

Default RAS

I do have it, I didn't realize it's the rear axle steering. I was thinking that was RWS. Anyways, I also did PDCC but I can't tell you how much of a difference they make as I have virtually no seat time as of yet.
Old 05-09-2023 | 09:22 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhenson29
I’m super excited about the extended range tank.

A guy a work asked me about my incoming car last week.

“What kind of car do you have coming in?”

”911 GTS Cab.”

“Nice. I just got a C8. How much horsepower does it have?”

”I don’t know…but let me tell you about the gas tank!”
🤣
Old 05-09-2023 | 10:50 PM
bobert75
Racer

I don’t think there can be any question that the whole RAS system makes the car lighter or else Porsche wouldn’t add RAS to the lightweight package (at least that’s the configuration on the GTS Configurator). They could’ve simply added the lightweight battery and skip the RAS from the lightweight package.

I wouldn’t worry about the reliability. Porsche claims it lasts 2.5x longer than the regular battery plus you’ll be under warranty.
I think it can definitely be questioned until we have the actual weight of the electronic actuators - until then, it's just an assumption. I'm not saying it's an unreasonable assumption but it's far from being an indisputable fact at this point. Being part of the GTS Lightweight pkg doesn't prove anything - the pkg name is just marketing. Like I said before, I agree it's very possible that "lithium battery + RAS actuators" saves a trivial amount of weight (that no one could feel from behind the wheel). The GTS Lightweight pkg also includes further reduction of sound insulation - supposedly about 4.4 lbs. A trivial amount there but the point is more for increased sound than weight reduction. Along the same lines, the point of RAS isn't weight savings, which is marginal if it's anything at all - it's basically a performance option. That much we can be sure of even w/o knowing the exact weight of the actuators, because the actuators themselves definitely add some weight, whereas the lithium battery can be added to the car w/o also adding the RAS actuators. That of course is the case with the Carrera T - it comes with the lithium battery standard, so if you choose the RAS option on the T you're definitely adding weight; however, even in that case I doubt anyone could feel the additional weight of it (however much it is).

I wish I could not worry about the reliability of the lithium battery but there are just way too many reports of 911s having trouble with it. As for the warranty, there are also numerous reports of Porsche trying to void the lithium battery warranty, so that is of little comfort.
Old 05-10-2023 | 12:32 AM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Maybe, but RAS isn’t going to make a meaningful difference if used on the street either. I think you only get RAS if you are doing serious track time.

P.S. Congratulations, OP!
Old 05-10-2023 | 01:00 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by The911Don
Maybe, but RAS isn’t going to make a meaningful difference if used on the street either. I think you only get RAS if you are doing serious track time.

P.S. Congratulations, OP!
I think the opposite actually. RAS comes in most handy making tight turns in parking lots and things. On track, it's another variable that effects steering and something else to break.
Drew46 (05-11-2023)

Quick Reply: finally got an allocation for 992 GTS