Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Damage - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 07:36 PM
Tsobocop
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
I had this happen with a McLaren, just go to an authorized repair shop, talk to the manager, tell him you want it fixed, you will pay cash and don't want it reported on Carfax. Usually no problem. Sold my McLaren later for more than I paid.
@KenTO thanks for this! I believe you but the shop is telling me the opposite, he said the shops don’t report it, that insurance does. If insurance pays, does that change things? Is it possible to pay cash if it’s through insurance? Do they cut a check to the shop or to me?

When you say authorized, do you mean Porsche authorized?
Old 05-15-2023, 07:38 PM
Tsobocop
Instructor

Originally Posted by Icegrill
once again, from my experience on several damaged cars over the years.
thank you @Icegrill !
Old 05-15-2023, 08:08 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Honestly that looks like an easy repair. The bumper can be plastic welded and repaired. The radiator is probably not expensive - if its not leaking you might even be able to straighten out the fins with some care then put a Zunisport radiator screen over it
The following users liked this post:
Tsobocop (05-15-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 09:57 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsobocop
@KenTO thanks for this! I believe you but the shop is telling me the opposite, he said the shops don’t report it, that insurance does. If insurance pays, does that change things? Is it possible to pay cash if it’s through insurance? Do they cut a check to the shop or to me?

When you say authorized, do you mean Porsche authorized?
Pay cash means not through insurance, you need to do the math, paying out of pocket or putting through insurance factoring in diminished value with a carfax report. If you can afford the car this really shouldn't be an issue.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:06 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

If you wish to understand this whole process better, google “CLUE Report”. Then order a free one for yourself and see what it says.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:59 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

This his how you develop ulcers.

Under your deductible, pay cash. More than $ 200 over your deductible, Insurance - that's why you have it. Using OEM parts on all that, it will be expensive.

CarFax, big deal. Chances are you are not ever going to sell it privately, because that's a huge PITA dealing with a private seller, I will never do it on high end cars. So you trade it in some day and the dealer could care less. Ditto for lease returns. Your not the first person to bugger up their car....

alin2 (05-16-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 11:21 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
Honestly that looks like an easy repair. The bumper can be plastic welded and repaired. The radiator is probably not expensive - if its not leaking you might even be able to straighten out the fins with some care then put a Zunisport radiator screen over it
That is really bad advice, in my opinion.
You're going to be shocked at just how much that damage costs to fix.
A Porsche-certified shop is not going to plastic weld and repair the bumper cover. They will replace it. The part alone will probably be on the order of $3k. (Our rear bumper cover was $3,500). Add to that the cost of preparing and painting; they might even want to paint a blend into the adjacent fenders.
Repairing and plastic-welding is what you do for a ten-year old Honda, not a Porsche.
A Porsche radiator IS expensive. I bet it's over $1,000.
I wouldn't be surprised if your repair approached $10k; our rear-ender cost $24,000 and there was NO sheet metal damage.
Take it to a Porsche-certified shop, pay your deductible and let them handle it from there.
drcollie (05-16-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 11:33 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

Under your deductible, pay cash. More than $ 200 over your deductible, Insurance - that's why you have it. Using OEM parts on all that, it will be expensive.

CarFax, big deal. Chances are you are not ever going to sell it privately, because that's a huge PITA dealing with a private seller, I will never do it on high end cars. So you trade it in some day and the dealer could care less. Ditto for lease returns. Your not the first person to bugger up their car....
that is not true , you will be dinged on a bad car fax by dealers. Actually some dealers refuse buying a car with a bad car fax How much ? depends on multiple factors including
1. Demand for the car
2. Car fax report stating minor------ severe damage
3. Age of the car at time of sale . People care more if they are buying a 1-2 year old car with a bad car fax vs 10 year old car with a bad car fax .
Also the amount is usually % of the car price around 7-15% less , so if selling the car now worth 140 k vs 10 years from now the car worth 50 k , the actual hit will be less
in PA you can automatically get Diminished value from your insurance or the other parties insurance in this case unknown or the racoon was uninsured . You have two years to claim that
I am surprised progressive California did not mandate this
Old 05-16-2023, 12:58 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
That is really bad advice, in my opinion.
You're going to be shocked at just how much that damage costs to fix.
A Porsche-certified shop is not going to plastic weld and repair the bumper cover. They will replace it. The part alone will probably be on the order of $3k. (Our rear bumper cover was $3,500). Add to that the cost of preparing and painting; they might even want to paint a blend into the adjacent fenders.
Repairing and plastic-welding is what you do for a ten-year old Honda, not a Porsche.
A Porsche radiator IS expensive. I bet it's over $1,000.
I wouldn't be surprised if your repair approached $10k; our rear-ender cost $24,000 and there was NO sheet metal damage.
Take it to a Porsche-certified shop, pay your deductible and let them handle it from there.
It certainly can be very expensive if you let the shop push that way. Personally since I have worked in body repair and have a close friend that owns very high end repair shop - the only Tesla & Lotus certified repair shop in Houston - I can tell you for certain that piece as shown can be easily plastic welded and spot repaired. It appears to be non-metallic so more easily blended within the bumper panel and not extending the blend onto the adjacent sheet metal. If you let a shop do excess work that way you end up guaranteeing the unnecessary devaluation of the car - the repair does more damage to the value than the accident
Tsobocop (05-16-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 07:38 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 537 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

I think this is bad advice... my Porsche dealer will not buy a car with previous damage in excess of their threshold (I think it is $10,000 IIRC). They won't touch those cars because they are hard to sell. Some dealers may not care but many don't want the hassle of a previously damaged car.

If it is a lease, I completely agree... fix it and give it back to Porsche and it is their problem.

Last edited by gthal; 05-16-2023 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:03 PM
Tsobocop
Instructor

Not a lease, saved for 10 years to buy it… this sucks
Old 05-16-2023, 09:44 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
I think this is bad advice... my Porsche dealer will not buy a car with previous damage in excess of their threshold (I think it is $10,000 IIRC). They won't touch those cars because they are hard to sell. Some dealers may not care but many don't want the hassle of a previously damaged car.

If it is a lease, I completely agree... fix it and give it back to Porsche and it is their problem.
Also nothing to worry about and probably not true. There’s a reason that some trades go straight to auction. A dealer ALWAYS finds a way to make a profit, even if small. Try not to stress the what ifs right now. Get the repairs done and go from there, it’s not like it was involved in an actual wreck.
Old 05-17-2023, 09:08 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsobocop
Not a lease, saved for 10 years to buy it… this sucks
You saved for 10 years to buy it so my guess is you will keep it and love it for a very long time. Get it fixed correctly and, if the repair is going to be significantly more than your deductible, put it through insurance. Some day down the road, that may affect your resale. Will that "deduction" exceed to $$$ outlay today accrued up to that unknown point in the future? Who knows. It depends on the out of pocket today, when you sell and a lot of other factors. Don't let this - and some unknown economic effect in the future - take away from the ownership experience that you have worked so hard and long to accomplish. I recommend a mental reset - try to stop focussing on the bad and refocus on the diligence, determination and success that allowed you to reach your goal and own and drive a car that 99% of the world will never achieve. And, yes, I am pulling the 99% out of my *** but that's not the point here. The point is that life has good and bad and it seems like you are still on the positive side of the ledger with ownership of this car even with this "event". Don't beat yourself up over this and lose focus on what you have achieved. Life is short - go out and drive and smile!
Tsobocop (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 02:35 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

Here's my unvarnished advice, since that's what you requested of this thread: either 1) do a major mental reset on ownership expectations as suggested by others or 2) fix it, sell it, any buy something you can truly afford. While this may be the 'car of your dreams' it still sounds like a stretch both mentally and financially if even a minor accident such as this is causing so much anguish. Maybe at a future time in your life you'll be able to just enjoy a 992 as a car, rather than fretting about maintaining perfection. Meanwhile, perhaps a 996 or 997 will give you 95% of the joy at less than half the cost and concern?
Icegrill (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 03:58 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
Here's my unvarnished advice, since that's what you requested of this thread: either 1) do a major mental reset on ownership expectations as suggested by others or 2) fix it, sell it, any buy something you can truly afford. While this may be the 'car of your dreams' it still sounds like a stretch both mentally and financially if even a minor accident such as this is causing so much anguish. Maybe at a future time in your life you'll be able to just enjoy a 992 as a car, rather than fretting about maintaining perfection. Meanwhile, perhaps a 996 or 997 will give you 95% of the joy at less than half the cost and concern?
Sound advice! I tried to buy used for this exact reason, but couldn’t justify the small price difference from a new 992.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Damage - Need Advice