Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Damage - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 10:59 PM
aquanaut
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsobocop
Does anyone know the answer to this? Not that I plan to sell the car ever, but would it show up on CarFax as an "accident"?
If you go through insurance, it almost certainly will say "damage reported" which will absolutely depreciate the car and will definitely make it more challenging to sell.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:04 AM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 954 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by aquanaut
If you go through insurance, it almost certainly will say "damage reported" which will absolutely depreciate the car and will definitely make it more challenging to sell.
Typically it’s the body shop or a police report who reports to car fax. Not the insurance. From my experience high end body shops could care less about reporting to carfax. Carfax is a business and they pay ‘spiffs’ to businesses for submitting reports, even as dumb as glass coating.
Old 05-05-2023, 02:03 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

We were rear-ended. The bumper cover alone was $3,500, and that was before paint or labor.
The damage is definitely more than $2,500.
I took our car to the Porsche-certified body shop, and it was fixed just fine.
No need to feel heartbroken. It's just a car. It can be fixed. You'll never be able to tell once it's done.

Last edited by garthg; 05-05-2023 at 02:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by garthg:
Tsobocop (05-05-2023), watchpaul (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 02:11 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,454 Likes on 520 Posts

Very sorry that happened, it will be fixed and will be great again, the damage is far from catastrophic and won't alter the car after a quality repair.

Not to pile on during your difficult time but as a member of the no-PPF club this is another example of where PPF can add cost, complications and significant expense to what is a fairly common event, while providing zero benefit in this case.
The following users liked this post:
Tsobocop (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 02:30 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 797 Posts

The bumper can be "repaired" (check youtube for "cracked bumper repair" vids). But the cost for a decent repair, plus repaint, you'd need to weigh vs. replacing + painting. My GT4 bumper is about $1,200. Check:

www.getporschepartssilverspring.com (forum sponsor) for prices. They are typically a bit less than dealer.

Old 05-05-2023, 02:40 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 780 Likes on 363 Posts

>> I've been heartbroken over this, and I'm starting to feel a bit better now that I'm having a better understanding of how to proceed!

Animal contact, parking lot damage, chipped windshields, potholes etc are all just normal parts of car ownership. I might suggest examining your relationship to and expectations for the car and how to process future unplanned events so you can mentally enjoy your marvelous machine!
Larson E. Rapp (05-06-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 03:02 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by remington
Very sorry that happened, it will be fixed and will be great again, the damage is far from catastrophic and won't alter the car after a quality repair.

Not to pile on during your difficult time but as a member of the no-PPF club this is another example of where PPF can add cost, complications and significant expense to what is a fairly common event, while providing zero benefit in this case.
So you’re saying you wished you would have installed ppf on your new car?
remington (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 03:47 PM
Tsobocop
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
>> I've been heartbroken over this, and I'm starting to feel a bit better now that I'm having a better understanding of how to proceed!

Animal contact, parking lot damage, chipped windshields, potholes etc are all just normal parts of car ownership. I might suggest examining your relationship to and expectations for the car and how to process future unplanned events so you can mentally enjoy your marvelous machine!
I hope one day I have the vantage point to just not sweat it, and have an “it’s just stuff and can be fixed” mentality, but I’m not there, and honestly that’s not me, not for this car or point in my life at least. If that’s how you look at it, power to you.

Last edited by Tsobocop; 05-05-2023 at 05:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tsobocop:
Icegrill (05-05-2023), Panayos (05-06-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 09:10 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 753 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by alin2
Sorry to hear about this.

I would definitely get a quote and see the repair costs which in all honesty is likely to significantly north of $2500 given costs associated with Porsche body work.

Also, I wouldn't be too sure that your premiums will go up. My son hit a deer on the way back to college (luckily was not hurt) and the insurance company (Chubb) did not raise our rates at all.
+1

find a reputable repair shop, call/visit the places you’re considering, you’ll know which one resonates with you

get an estimate, call insurance company/agent and ask if this will affect the rates, then make assessment

if running through insurance, carfax will now have repair on it. This may impact resale if that’s of importance to you

hope this helps

make sure to document and take photos of damage/repair…this is not a collison repair, so future buyer may not care too much if repaired properly and on carfax

Last edited by MoeMistry; 05-06-2023 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:21 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

You can see no evidence of the repair on this car.
Old 05-06-2023, 10:47 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,192 Likes on 1,479 Posts

It's just a car at the end of the day. That is an expensive repair, because you will need a new Radiator and either a new bumper cover OR someone good at plastic welding. My guess is about $ 6,000 less your deductible. Run it through your insurance, that's why you have it. Animal strikes don't raise your rates with any decent insurance company.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:00 PM
Tsobocop
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds like my rates won't go up, but there's some conflicting accounts as to:
Whether it will show up as repaired on CarFax
Who would report that information to CarFax, and lastly (from another related thread)
Whether or not that would cause depreciation; in the other thread, they said with the proper pictures/documentation of the repair, that "with proper documentation nobody will care about the accident"

Needless to say, I'm a bit confused on what's conjecture, what's opinion, and what's fact.
I could really use some firsthand accounts from anyone who has gone through this before, because it will greatly change the direction I go.

If it's the insurance company that reports this info to CarFax, would it be helpful to research whether there's a "Diminished Value" claim clause in my policy?
If it's the shop that reports it, I'd obviously try to find a shop that wouldn't report it, but I'd guess there's no guarantees there. I don't understand why a shop would need to report it though... if I wanted an aftermarket bumper, or a GT3 bumper, nothing would be reported. Should I just go that route of "modification" vs "repair"?

Any help clarifying with firsthand experience (or you're in the line of work to know the facts) would be GREATLY appreciated!!

-Chris

Old 05-15-2023, 06:21 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 208 Posts

I had this happen with a McLaren, just go to an authorized repair shop, talk to the manager, tell him you want it fixed, you will pay cash and don't want it reported on Carfax. Usually no problem. Sold my McLaren later for more than I paid.
Tsobocop (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 06:22 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Icegrill
Typically it’s the body shop or a police report who reports to car fax. Not the insurance. From my experience high end body shops could care less about reporting to carfax. Carfax is a business and they pay ‘spiffs’ to businesses for submitting reports, even as dumb as glass coating.
once again, from my experience on several damaged cars over the years.
Tsobocop (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 07:25 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,192 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Pretty hard to get diminished value compensation from the Raccoon! He’s dead, Fred.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Damage - Need Advice