Sponsored by:

What is your in car camera?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 03:13 AM
porsche.earth
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts
Default What is your in car camera?

What camera do you keep in your cupholder? Post some photos and discuss cupholder camera setups here.......

Mine is a Fuji X100V with a Heliopan piece for protection and in the stock Fuji leather case (without top cover). Fits perfectly in the cupholder of a 992.

I see so many people using iphones and things for their car photos, but I'm sure there must be at least a few people who value quality and are using cup-cams right? The phones don't take satisfying pictures..... Wondering what other good alternatives to the X100V there are that people are throwing in the cupholder. Not looking to switch from my X100V anytime soon, got it on release and it has been perfect ever since, but I am keeping an eye on cameras as I hear rumors of the X100V successor coming in the nearish term.

photos taken with my cupholder (these photos will self destruct in ......... seconds)

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-24-2023 at 04:43 AM.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:27 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

I used to bother with taking another camera with me, but the iPhone 14 Pro is good enough and super flexible under varying conditions. I also don't have to worry about it getting wet, too cold, etc.

In most urban areas, I wouldn't leave a Fuji X100V unattended in the cupholder.
The following 3 users liked this post by detansinn:
Patriot (04-24-2023), tourenwagen (04-24-2023), vg247 (04-26-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 09:19 AM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,396 Likes on 1,200 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I used to bother with taking another camera with me, but the iPhone 14 Pro is good enough and super flexible under varying conditions. I also don't have to worry about it getting wet, too cold, etc.

I usually leave my DSLR bag in the frunk for car shows etc. and have the Insta360 with pole and suction cup for messing around but 95% of the time its the cell phone.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (04-24-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 01:11 PM
porsche.earth
Racer

Originally Posted by detansinn

True, if you live in San Francisco definitely don't leave your valuables in the cupholder Thankfully where I live in Arizona, things are civilized here and aside from my car being spit on once while I was in it I haven't had to deal with any vandalism, so I can just leave my camera in the car - its also very well sealed to deal with different types of weather, but I believe you need to have an extra filter on top to take it from 98% to 100% (hence my heliopan piece)

Originally Posted by tourenwagen
I usually leave my DSLR bag in the frunk for car shows etc. and have the Insta360 with pole and suction cup for messing around but 95% of the time its the cell phone.
Yeah that is why I didn't get a bulky DSLR or anything, can't easily take pictures at every stoplight and then be ready to drive again in seconds with a DSLR. I know how cumbersome they are lugging lenses batteries a big body and more around in a bag. With my X100V the only thing I carry is the camera itself, the battery lasts for weeks even if I leave it switched "on". I also don't always carry my electronic leashes (cell phones which track your location in real time and share it with various entities that you have no control over as well as other privacy concerns, etc. etc.) with me, leaving me able to just leave the stupid electronic excess at home while I focus on going on a drive and taking pictures.

I'm still using an iPhone 12, completely stopped buying new phones every year for camera upgrades after getting my X100V, maybe once the iphone 69 comes out I'll have to revisit using one as a main camera

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-24-2023 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-24-2023, 01:47 PM
jonbek
Rennlist Member

Received 884 Likes on 264 Posts

Ricoh GRIII for me.
porsche.earth (04-25-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 01:50 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

I wouldn't leave a bag lunch in my car in San Francisco.
In fact, I wouldn't leave my car in San Francisco.
The following 9 users liked this post by garthg:
CDACH (04-28-2023), DodoBird (04-24-2023), guffdude (04-25-2023), Guzzgreg (04-24-2023), incoming992s (04-28-2023), NickM (04-24-2023), Patriot (04-24-2023), porsche.earth (04-25-2023), Yojeffo (04-24-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-24-2023, 08:51 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche.earth
What camera do you keep in your cupholder? Post some photos and discuss cupholder camera setups here.......

Mine is a Fuji X100V with a Heliopan piece for protection and in the stock Fuji leather case (without top cover). Fits perfectly in the cupholder of a 992.

I see so many people using iphones and things for their car photos, but I'm sure there must be at least a few people who value quality and are using cup-cams right? The phones don't take satisfying pictures..... Wondering what other good alternatives to the X100V there are that people are throwing in the cupholder. Not looking to switch from my X100V anytime soon, got it on release and it has been perfect ever since, but I am keeping an eye on cameras as I hear rumors of the X100V successor coming in the nearish term.

photos taken with my cupholder (these photos will self destruct in ......... seconds)

That camera seems to be sold out everywhere. Some eBay sellers peddling them for 2k. It’s like buying a 992 apparently. Wait lists and flippers. I have been thinking of a point and shoot because frankly my phone is beginning to annoy me as the message groups and chain emails seek to grow larger everyday.
Old 04-24-2023, 09:58 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 293 Posts

Leica Q2

porsche.earth (04-25-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 02:37 AM
porsche.earth
Racer

Originally Posted by dixonk
That camera seems to be sold out everywhere. Some eBay sellers peddling them for 2k. It’s like buying a 992 apparently. Wait lists and flippers. I have been thinking of a point and shoot because frankly my phone is beginning to annoy me as the message groups and chain emails seek to grow larger everyday.
Yeah the usual supply chain stuff + stores getting small batches that sell out really quickly + a recent tiktok mania I read about from articles have availability in a pretty bad state compared to when the camera first released (back then everyone was on the sony train, nobody wanted fuji, etc).
The list price afaik is a lot less than what it is being flipped for atm, I read from fuji rumors comments if you keep an eye supposedly stock shows up randomly through official online sellers at retail price, but I don't keep an eye
They have a new sensor now, and I know some of the parts in older X series models may be more expensive to produce these days, it seems logical they'll put out the new X100 soon at a list price similar to inflation adjusted X100V retail. iirc they don't necessarily update the lens between generations of X100, and the X100V has the new gen lens so next one should be similar

Originally Posted by jonbek
Ricoh GRIII for me.
Nice thats a good one!! The removable viewfinders are cool, looks a bit more discrete

Originally Posted by breny4104
Leica Q2
I haven't tried any Leicas but the Q2 definitely would be a good upgrade from the X100V from what I read
Q2 also has some cool body "styles", "Ghost" one looks cooler than the silver X100V
I wonder if the next gen X100 will compete with the Q2 a bit more, the new XT-5 uses a 40mp sensor which narrows the gap on Q2 47mp sensor
Probably the Leica lens still would be better though

Has anyone tried the Pixii camera? Its from a new french company so I don't plan to bite any early adopter bullets but on paper it is supposed to be good....third version model A2572 was released recently? Seems interesting, but also seems like they're developing new versions of the camera pretty quickly

Going through old photos to use while I test my pixelfed scrapbooking setup, these photo will self destruct like all of the others I post right now, sooner or later

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-26-2023 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-25-2023, 05:43 AM
Michael T
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

I leave zero showing in my car, not even a USB cord. For point and shoot you can not beat the Leica D-Lux 7 ($1,395 at B&H). It has a 24-75mm (equivalent) f/1.7-2.8 Summicron that is unbelievably sharp. I have a Canon R3 with RF L lenses, but this Leica is phenomenal for the money.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael T:
dixonk (04-25-2023), porsche.earth (04-25-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 06:17 AM
porsche.earth
Racer

Originally Posted by Michael T
I leave zero showing in my car, not even a USB cord. For point and shoot you can not beat the Leica D-Lux 7 ($1,395 at B&H). It has a 24-75mm (equivalent) f/1.7-2.8 Summicron that is unbelievably sharp. I have a Canon R3 with RF L lenses, but this Leica is phenomenal for the money.
Arizona..some parts...its different I guess...sometimes I leave the top down, camera inside the cupholder, and I walk away...everything still there when I come back....
Although I had PSPs and iPods stolen in school back in the day, that stuff all happened in Tempe...I don't really go to Downtown Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale often these days and those city slickers don't come to my area - they think the suburbs 10 minutes away are boondocks so no need to go there, being seen in suburbs might impact their social media popularity, which criminal cares about easy stuff to steal if they can't get into clubs in Scottsdale (I'm sure the (literal) 10+ cameras at every street light in my city also help)

The D-Lux 7 looks like good value + availability, and cup-friendly!
Sometimes the fixed lens on my fuji feels limiting, the 24-75mm lens is definitely a good alternative to fujis
If I was looking for a cupcam today considering the fujis are hard to get and the leicas are not, it would be an easy choice...would be a good complement to a fuji x100v as well, maybe hard choice if you have both is "which camera goes in the cupholder today?" regularly, fuji film simulations or leica zoom...

Side note, I read that the Panasonic Lumix LX100ii is the same camera as the D-Lux 7 with some exterior differences. Unfortunately, Panasonic stopped developing new point and shoots and it might be tough to find a new LX100ii at a major online store but it apparently is a few hundred dollars cheaper for the same camera with a Panasonic logo vs the Leica logo, though I think they are only available used at this point whereas the Leicas are still available new.

I had to knock on wood twice after writing this post

photos from cupcam

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-25-2023 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-25-2023, 06:41 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael T
Can you upload sample pictures? I’m interested.
Old 04-25-2023, 07:06 AM
porsche.earth
Racer

Some more self destructing photos (possibly, depending on if I decide I'm done testing my scrapbook Pixelfed server)

The main reason I went with Fuji over others was the film simulation stuff, there are so many simulation setups to use these days. Once you create custom recipes on camera Q button makes it easy to switch around. Can probably recreate most of these things in post using raw files from other cameras though

Fuji Film Simulations, these were really quick photos I took as an example for someone else at that moment, but figured they might be useful for this thread.

NCOG (my custom recipe)

Portraits Cleanish (someone elses recipe)

I think this one was cinestill800t

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-25-2023 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:12 PM
Michael T
Racer

Originally Posted by porsche.earth
Arizona..some parts...its different I guess...sometimes I leave the top down, camera inside the cupholder, and I walk away...everything still there when I come back....
Although I had PSPs and iPods stolen in school back in the day, that stuff all happened in Tempe...I don't really go to Downtown Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale often these days and those city slickers don't come to my area - they think the suburbs 10 minutes away are boondocks so no need to go there, being seen in suburbs might impact their social media popularity, which criminal cares about easy stuff to steal if they can't get into clubs in Scottsdale (I'm sure the (literal) 10+ cameras at every street light in my city also help)

The D-Lux 7 looks like good value + availability, and cup-friendly!
Sometimes the fixed lens on my fuji feels limiting, the 24-75mm lens is definitely a good alternative to fujis
If I was looking for a cupcam today considering the fujis are hard to get and the leicas are not, it would be an easy choice...would be a good complement to a fuji x100v as well, maybe hard choice if you have both is "which camera goes in the cupholder today?" regularly, fuji film simulations or leica zoom...

Side note, I read that the Panasonic Lumix LX100ii is the same camera as the D-Lux 7 with some exterior differences. Unfortunately, Panasonic stopped developing new point and shoots and it might be tough to find a new LX100ii at a major online store but it apparently is a few hundred dollars cheaper for the same camera with a Panasonic logo vs the Leica logo, though I think they are only available used at this point whereas the Leicas are still available new.

I had to knock on wood twice after writing this post

photos from cupcam

See next post, double post.

Last edited by Michael T; 04-25-2023 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:15 PM
Michael T
Racer

As I understand it, Panasonic has a wider range zoom. Even though it is a Zeiss Vario-Sonnar, any super range zoom (24mm to 200mm equivalent) is a compromise in both image quality and maximum aperture. It only has f2.8 to f4.5 aperture, instead of f1.7 to f2.8.

Last edited by Michael T; 04-25-2023 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: What is your in car camera?