Sport vs. Sport Plus Sounds?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 01:06 AM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Sport vs. Sport Plus Sounds?

Hi Everyone,
I've been predominantly driving on sport mode for the last few months with great enjoyment- normal suspension, which helps with city driving, and loving the cracks and pops.

I've now discovered individual mode, where I can set it on sport plus mode, but with normal suspension. I've always thought that sport mode was the loudest.

But to my surprise I feel sport plus is almost 1.5x louder. And in addition to the aggressive downshift sounds, I feel I also hear some version of cracks and pops. Now maybe mechanistically it's different than the traditional crack and pop sound (I have no idea what leads to this from an exhaust standpoint), but am I crazy to feel that sport plus is really loud and with cracks and pops?

What are your individual experiences with sport vs. sport plus from a sound perspective?

(mainly interested in sound differences, not driving dynamic differences).
Old 04-17-2023, 01:24 AM
al_b
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

My understanding is that Sport allows for crackle and pop, not Sport Plus, when one has PSE as I’m assuming you do. Sport Plus maximizes power and efficiency which runs contrary to the fuel rich conditions leading to popping in Sport mode, hence Sport Plus is quieter in that regard. Of course if PDK the engine speed is generally higher in Sport Plus so there’s that, but exhaust wise it shouldn’t be louder.

I neither have PSE nor wish I did, just my take from various threads.
Old 04-17-2023, 01:52 AM
porsche.earth
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Sport Plus mode indeed has its appeal, with impressive downshifts making it an attractive option. When I first got the car, I drove everywhere in Sport mode. However, after discovering Sport Plus mode, I realized there's no need to use Sport mode anymore. It could just be my perception, but the stock exhaust seems to have a better sound now compared to when I first got the car.

Regarding the popping sounds in Sport Plus mode, it's likely due to the occasional overly rich fuel mixture, and the car adjusts accordingly. On the other hand, Sport mode may intentionally create a fuel-rich environment, which contributes to the distinct exhaust sounds. Can tell the car isn't dumping fuel like it does in Sport when using Sport Plus based on mpg comparisons between Sport and Sport Plus (where Sport Plus is a lot better).
Spoiler

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-17-2023 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:44 AM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts

What is written above is similar to what I've read among our forum in the past (which is what has set in my mind as truth). But the reality differs to me so I wanted to see if others share similar experiences.

I'm just surprised by my personal experience that sport plus is at least >1.5x louder than sport mode and it has similar cracks and pops. It's WAY louder.
The following users liked this post:
porsche.earth (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 02:51 AM
porsche.earth
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

sometimes in sport+ my car makes me think it wishes it was grello, from the noises it makes its not close, but my car tries its best keep driving it there's more cool noises

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-17-2023 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 12:44 PM
blk_c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 19 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by blk_c2s:
porsche.earth (04-17-2023), pttrash (04-19-2023), SAlexander (04-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Sport vs. Sport Plus Sounds?