Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumperplugs SmartTop GB--What a Joke!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 03:20 PM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 859 Likes on 397 Posts

Many years ago I met in person the developer of this product - he is a great guy 👍👍👍

I had purchased a unit for my BMW 135i cab.

I had a chance to discuss how he created the device, logic and programming software.

I can only say he is a genius !!!

Some manufacturers will provide him with the data necessary to program the device - others will not.

When the manufacturer is not cooperative he either finds a car owner willing to be a donor or he rents a vehicle - then he collects can bus data and reverse engineers the necessary signaling to make everything work.

He confirmed there can changes year to year for the same model in how the data is processed.

Last edited by audi4t; 03-18-2023 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:32 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Shipping: Priority Shipping WITH insurance (and signature if needed) is not cheap. Our quoted pricing is NOT based on weight, it is based on value and insurance. Ground basic postage is less - and the likelihood of loss/damage/theft is quite high. We want the product to arrive safely, so we use what has worked for us for the past 24 years. Same for most of our products of value.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Last edited by Eric - Plug Guy; 03-18-2023 at 05:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Eric - Plug Guy:
dixonk (03-18-2023), Mikey K (03-19-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 06:06 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,365 Likes on 1,532 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Shipping: Priority Shipping WITH insurance (and signature if needed) is not cheap. Our quoted pricing is NOT based on weight, it is based on value and insurance. Ground basic postage is less - and the likelihood of loss/damage/theft is quite high. We want the product to arrive safely, so we use what has worked for us for the past 24 years. Same for most of our products of value.
Agreed, I only ship via Priority Mail w/Insurance as well on anything over $ 25 in value.

USPS Flat rate boxes are $ 14 (Medium Size) and in get there in the time the client wants, is trackable (regular USPS is not unless you pay additional). I find it odd that someone is complaining about shipping costs as well, that's not a profit center. Plus with the time to create a label, buy some cushioning material and and the label itself you're every bit of $ 15.

OP, here's an idea for you. Form an LLC in your state, will cost you $ 120 or so, then get registered for a BPOL for your jurisdiction and pay that fee annually based on sales volume, and you will need a Sales Tax License for your State (that's free, until you send in the monthly sales tax). Now you can start your own business and set up accounts with all these various auto suppliers and buy things at wholesale, then offer the killer deals you think we all deserve. You'll need a basic website, and a credit card processor plus a commercial bank account, and some business cards. A basic Accounting Program is pretty much required, Quickbooks Online is inexpensive at $ 385 per year and will do the job plus process your credit cards if you use Intuit as your processor. Then you will need an Accountant to do the business taxes at year end and issue you a K1. Oh, and Rennlist charges a fee to post here if you have a business as a Sponsor. But the cool thing is you can get your goodies at wholesale AND write off your 992 as a mobile "showroom" to sell the aftermarket items you are carrying. Be sure to keep really good records in case of an IRS Audit and only use the car for business unless you record personal miles in a logbook and pay the per diem. .

TIP: Maintain a 25% GPM, at a minimum, 40% is better though, that will net you closer to 18% profit overall.

Finally, be prepared to handle whiny customers with style and grace, like Eric has done here.

The following 7 users liked this post by drcollie:
ddelallata (03-19-2023), dixonk (03-18-2023), icanthelpit (03-18-2023), Mikey K (03-19-2023), por356 (03-19-2023), shrimp money (03-20-2023), Staffie Guy (03-19-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-18-2023, 08:38 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 215 Posts

For the record…bought a couple of things from Eric over the years…never felt like I didn’t get excellent value.
The following users liked this post:
icanthelpit (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 09:04 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I own a retail store and have for 36 years, and I sell all across the Country. While I don't l know the discount or margins BP is running, a manufacturer will typically offer 30% to a third party seller, at least in my industry. So on a group buy, a retailer maybe can offer 5% off which puts margins down to 25%. You cannot run a healthy business on margins less than that. The Feds, State and Country/City all have their fingers in that 25% so when you get done paying them and your overhead and payroll costs. plus the 3% the bandit credit card companies charge (Mastercard/Visa/Discover/AMEX/Paypal) you might be lucky to walk away with around 8% as profit. On a $ 475 sale that's $ 38 a unit. Ten units, you made $ 380. Whoopee.

What kind of discount did you expect? I ask that honestly and sincerely. Or, is that something you really didn't think very hard about before taking Bumper Plugs to task? Posts like this are damaging and it takes years to build a reputation like Eric has. While my numbers may be off a little, I bet they are not off by much.
You are about right. We sell direct (e-commerce store) and through distributors and resellers and they take about 30-35%. Very normal yet also frustrating as manufacturer like us as who make the product end up with small margins to pay for our R&D (yes we need to spend to develop the products), Marketing (often underestimated what that cost), Operations (people, machines, buildings) etc and not to mention tp pay our parts suppliers to make the products. Dont get me started selling on Amazon as manufacturer. Average cost of advertisement on Amazon (which is just one form of distribution) is 30% in our category ...and then they take 13-15% selling fees (FBA) on top of that. If you don't play the game of paying for ads, nobody can find your product and you got no sales. I am about to pull our products off Amazon and instead sell less but direct with sustainable margins (but less revenue).
What I find often that our customers and sometimes distributors/resellers have that wrong impression that when we sell a product for $499 we make $450 profit on list price and then expect we should offer 50% off or so or can distribute the product at a fraction of the list price. Even if we do, all the cost of developing, servicing, and making the products are completely neglected like it comes from nowhere. Distributors are in the same boat except they start with the margin (often 30-35%) they negotiate and have to pay their advertisement, sales force, inventory etc.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:07 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,186 Posts

Finally, be prepared to handle whiny customers with style and grace, like Eric has done here.
I dont know what your stance is here, but clearly you're gonna tell me what benefit this group buy offered the buyers. So tell me. I'd like to know.

If a seller is gonna try and pass off a group buy (a group of customers buying a product from a seller for a DISCOUNT), and it's not up to snuff, yea, expect some blowback.

Oh, and please respond when I reach out to you for your help installing said smartTop. 🤣
Old 03-18-2023, 11:17 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 768 Likes on 432 Posts

I own a retail store and have for 36 years, and I sell all across the Country. While I don't l know the discount or margins BP is running, a manufacturer will typically offer 30% to a third party seller, at least in my industry. So on a group buy, a retailer maybe can offer 5% off which puts margins down to 25%. You cannot run a healthy business on margins less than that. The Feds, State and Country/City all have their fingers in that 25% so when you get done paying them and your overhead and payroll costs. plus the 3% the bandit credit card companies charge (Mastercard/Visa/Discover/AMEX/Paypal) you might be lucky to walk away with around 8% as profit. On a $ 475 sale that's $ 38 a unit. Ten units, you made $ 380. Whoopee.

What kind of discount did you expect? I ask that honestly and sincerely. Or, is that something you really didn't think very hard about before taking Bumper Plugs to task? Posts like this are damaging and it takes years to build a reputation like Eric has. While my numbers may be off a little, I bet they are not off by much.

There is a different margin requirement to be successful operating a retail store where you have to take physical delivery of products before delivering to customers vs drop shipping products from an internet storefront. Regardless, it is a bit disingenuous to offer forum members a group buy for more than the manufacturer is selling the product directly on their ebay storefront.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:38 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The ebay was not the mfr. But the ebay/reseller in op is a right-hand to the mfr. The price we offered for the gb was $459. The ebay seller was reprimanded by the mfr Friday. $499 is the list on the 992 unit. $459 was our gb pricing after everyone committed (we did not ask for payment until it ended). If more buyers jumped in the pricing would have reflected a deeper discount. These are not drop shipped. The group buy units come to us and are entered in inventory, then shipped from our office to customers.
ddelallata (03-19-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 10:53 AM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 513 Posts

OP, just so I’m clear, you joined a group buy with no intention of actually buying, and now you’re outraged that the product you didn’t intend on buying wasn’t discounted enough?
The following 5 users liked this post by jhenson29:
detansinn (03-19-2023), icanthelpit (03-19-2023), Robb M. (03-20-2023), shrimp money (03-20-2023), Staffie Guy (03-19-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 12:17 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhenson29
OP, just so I’m clear, you joined a group buy with no intention of actually buying, and now you’re outraged that the product you didn’t intend on buying wasn’t discounted enough?
Correct. Eric piggybacked my OP. What's your next question?
Old 03-19-2023, 12:34 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogunade
Correct. Eric piggybacked my OP. What's your next question?
lol…I love that this sounds like normal behavior to you. I don’t have any other questions. Thank you for your reply.
rk-d (03-19-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 02:26 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhenson29
lol…I love that this sounds like normal behavior to you. I don’t have any other questions. Thank you for your reply.
Yea man. Looking out for my 911 bros.
Old 03-19-2023, 03:07 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

$450
Old 03-19-2023, 08:32 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shogunade
Correct. Eric piggybacked my OP. \
Clarity: We indicated we could arrange if there was interest.
And the only reason we jumped into the thread was because the op 'tagged' us and we were notified. We don't troll for business. We're lifetime RL members, and sponsors of the site for more than 18 years.

"If there's enough interest in a group buy, we're happy to arrange. We've been an authorized dealer for this product for many years with plenty of happy Porsche customers (and other makes)."

Last edited by Eric - Plug Guy; 03-19-2023 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:59 PM
reloader-1
Rennlist Member

Received 428 Likes on 127 Posts

All I’ve gotten out of this is that Eric/BumperPlugs is a stand up individual, and the OP…

Well, bless his heart.
The following 2 users liked this post by reloader-1:
KenTO (03-19-2023), Wilder (03-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Bumperplugs SmartTop GB--What a Joke!