Sponsored by:

Speccing a 992 GTS - Question on PDCC+RAS

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 06:16 PM
whatsshakin
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by HappinessProcured
I couldn't find any hard evidence that either is beneficial. Bizarre to me that identical cars +/- these options haven't been tested back-to-back. Even if by Porsche on a track. Give us something.

On the contrary, there have been reports that both can make the car feel unnatural at speed. And the improved 18" of RAS turning radius at low speed was just kind of comical to me. Since it's also more stuff to break, I declined both.

Edit: forgot about the $2500 Li battery that RAS also adds. No thanks.
For 2024, RAS is not adding a Li battery. Just a random fun fact, and no one is quite sure as to why.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:07 PM
RJR88
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by whatsshakin
For 2024, RAS is not adding a Li battery. Just a random fun fact, and no one is quite sure as to why.
I have a 24 TTS which comes with RAS and it has the LI battery. It seems some do and some don’t.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:48 AM
VelvaGolden
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

was just going to post the same thing: have RAS and AGM (not Lithium) battery, '24 GTS delivered in 9/'23; there are other threads about this, but seems like the BMS issues with the Li+ batteries caused a change to the '24 models produced around 8'23; Maybe the Li+ batteries have been showing up in the RAS cars again?
FWIW: I have both RAS and PDCC - rarely use the PDCC but like it when driving hard; Is it worth $5k? duno, may depend on how much you drive at the cars limits. The RAS def like; the car's ride is plenty stiff with our without PDCC turned on for everyday driving IMO
Old 03-28-2024, 10:49 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,360 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by VelvaGolden
was just going to post the same thing: have RAS and AGM (not Lithium) battery, '24 GTS delivered in 9/'23; there are other threads about this, but seems like the BMS issues with the Li+ batteries caused a change to the '24 models produced around 8'23; Maybe the Li+ batteries have been showing up in the RAS cars again?
FWIW: I have both RAS and PDCC - rarely use the PDCC but like it when driving hard; Is it worth $5k? duno, may depend on how much you drive at the cars limits. The RAS def like; the car's ride is plenty stiff with our without PDCC turned on for everyday driving IMO
BTW, if your car is specced with PDCC, you are always “using” it since PDCC is always active.

The button on the dash simply toggles between the Normal (more comfort oriented) and Sport (more performance oriented) programs for the active suspension systems (PASM and PDCC).
Old 03-28-2024, 12:27 PM
PhilH930
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

I ordered RAS, mostly due to such a positive experience with RAS on my daily X5 - that thing turns so well in tight spaces. I thought the same would apply for a 992, plus the added benefit of overall handling. I have to say that shortly after my order I test drove a car with RAS and had to make a u-turn in what I thought was a wide street. The u-turn became a three point turn, and was pretty underwhelmed with RAS compared to the difference it made on the X5. But all that said, I'd still rather have it.

PDCC is tricky. I've driven cars with and without this, and also been a passenger in both. Its hard to describe how well a 992 changes direction with RAS and PDCC - exceeds any vehicle I have been in other than a 991.2 GT3 RS. However, I did not select PDCC. I feel stupid for even saying this, but every time I walked away from a PDCC vehicle I have felt a little car sick, which is bizarre as that never happens. I doubt its the PDCC and maybe other circumstances (i.e., enthusiastic driving), but I figured the car is flat enough with stock GTS suspension and that would do for me.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:46 PM
Gian6
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I've tried PDCC on the track and it definitely works really really good, and yes I've tried on the same track other 911s without it.
I also suppose that the reason why you must spec it together with RAS it's because it reduces some minor RAS negatives.
In my 992 T with RAS only on particular bumpy roads the dumping feels rough, too jumpy, the steering a lil bit too jittery, it can even feels uncomfortable.
Now I get why the ST has not RAS!
Don't get my wrong I love RAS as the agility and turn is amazing and it really suits well the 992 chassis however it has its own compromise you should know.
Anecdotally when driving at high speeds above 210-220 km/h the steering feels a little nervous compared to other specs.
I believe the Pdcc counteracts some of the small negatives of the Ras.
In certain exercises the GTS and GTS4 with that button activated feels better then a GT3.
Please consider also that "GT3 does not have it" does not means it's not effective.
The GT3 front suspension has more feeling and grip at the front partially counteracting the negatives described before, more evident at moderate and high speeds.
For me no option it's a must have but PDCC now ranks higher in my list and I never would have thought
The following users liked this post:
OMTarga4S (03-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Speccing a 992 GTS - Question on PDCC+RAS