Sponsored by:

Speccing a 992 GTS - Question on PDCC+RAS

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 08:51 AM
Colt_45
Advanced

Received 125 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
Let's play a fun 992 'technology' game shall we?. Here's a quiz, spot the similarities...
  • VTG - (Active) Variable Turbocharging Geometry
  • PASM - Active suspension
  • PADM - Active motor mounts
  • PSM - Active stability management
  • PTV - Active torque vectoring
  • PSE - Active exhaust
  • PDLS+ - Active headlights
  • VarioCam Plus - Active valve timing and lift
  • RAS - Active rear steering
Notice a pattern? The notion that deleting RAS makes the 992 more 'analog' and has 'less nannies' is simply absurd. Porsche's entire engineering philosophy for the 992 is to expand the performance envelope via digital enhancement of mechatronic systems. Which of the 60+ separate controllers and tens of millions lines of code should we delete to make the experience more 'pure'?

You want 'analog', go drive an Elise.
Ignoring for a minute that your list is a bit suspect, if Porsche introduced new “tech” that turned the wheel for you, would you spec it? Porsche would guarantee it makes you faster at the track and safer in the streets.

Not every piece of tech is beneficial for what the driver wants. The fact that other tech exists on the car doesn’t take that away.

But I suspect you knew that since you left off PDCC and PDK, two pieces of “tech” that many owners opt out of because they don’t think it enhances the driving experience.

Last edited by Colt_45; 03-14-2023 at 08:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colt_45:
Cartod (03-14-2023), Wilder (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 09:11 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

Let's play a fun 992 'technology' game shall we?. Here's a quiz, spot the similarities...
  • PSE - Active exhaust
Notice a pattern? The notion that deleting RAS makes the 992 more 'analog' and has 'less nannies' is simply absurd. Porsche's entire engineering philosophy for the 992 is to expand the performance envelope via digital enhancement of mechatronic systems. Which of the 60+ separate controllers and tens of millions lines of code should we delete to make the experience more 'pure'?

Yes, there is a pattern here. Some of those items are standard, some are not. Using your argument every Porsche would be fitted with every option otherwise it wouldn't really be a Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
Wilder (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 09:12 AM
Stephen Shi
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Just think about why pdcc is not on GT cars
Old 03-14-2023, 09:49 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

Porsche marketing’s goal is to sell options to make a profit. So, it will “highly recommend” every available option including leather sun visors and fuse box covers. That’s its job. So, the fact that a Porsche related entity is recommending something needs to be taken with a grain of salt because it is a highly biased assessment and opinion.
BOS911T (03-15-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 09:55 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Yes, there is a pattern here. Some of those items are standard, some are not. Using your argument every Porsche would be fitted with every option otherwise it wouldn't really be a Porsche.
Good point. And I further note that a majority of the items on the list are not even standard on the base 992 but only available as options at extra cost to the buyer if wanted. That should tell you how critical they are.
Cartod (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 09:57 AM
Macboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3,301 Likes on 733 Posts

Basically it’s what kind of driver you are but you did not tell us. So maybe you can inform us a bit how you drive your cars so we can give some better advice.

If Porsche thought those extra options were mandatory they would add them for standard (and increase the price). On the GT3 RAS is standard for a reason. The car is made for track driving. If you don’t drive your GTS on track you can skip RAS. Thats why it’s optional. If you drive on the road like on track also spec it. I hated the feeling of RAS especially on slower corners on an 992 S. I loved it on my 4S.

Old 03-14-2023, 10:41 AM
TN_3
Pro

Received 271 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Shi
Just think about why pdcc is not on GT cars
Because it only needs to be one thing, a track weapon. With this in mind, they can tune the anti-roll bars for maximum cornering grip. It is also why so many have stated the ride can be brutal on the road. The base/S/GTS have to be more balanced so its a compromise. PDCC allows it to be both more comfortable and more aggressive when needed.
The following 3 users liked this post by TN_3:
BOS911T (03-15-2023), CanAutM3 (03-14-2023), RRich (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 03:05 PM
al_b
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TN_3
Because it only needs to be one thing, a track weapon. With this in mind, they can tune the anti-roll bars for maximum cornering grip. It is also why so many have stated the ride can be brutal on the road. The base/S/GTS have to be more balanced so its a compromise. PDCC allows it to be both more comfortable and more aggressive when needed.
This.

So much of the focus is what the cars like at or near limit where we rarely if ever are off-track. Getting seasick due to lack of body roll etc, how much roll does non-pdcc have anyway?

but when pdcc is off, ride compliance benefits are realized…when driving real world style (not at limit) on real world (often shtty) roads.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:33 PM
TuvaD
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 80 Posts

Autocar's perspective:
"Of all the 911 options, this is arguably the most impressive but feels the least essential for a low-slung sports car."

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/f...-variants-face

I didn't spec PDCC on my '22 4 GTS and don't really miss it.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:03 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,054 Likes on 5,250 Posts

There is no option on a 911 that is a "must-have" in the truest sense of the term.

Because if there was then the Base 911 would be a flawed vehicle. Which we all know is certainly not the case.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (03-15-2023), icanthelpit (03-17-2023), Wilder (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 04:07 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Neither is a must-have option and I would skip both.
The following 2 users liked this post by FORENN:
Cartod (03-14-2023), Fullyield (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 04:30 PM
TN_3
Pro

Received 271 Likes on 164 Posts

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that these options are “must-haves” or “essential”, I think the issue arises when people misconstrue the functionality of the options.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:40 PM
HappinessProcured
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by TN_3
Except they have
Thank you! That's exactly what I was hoping for but couldn't find. Now I'm hoping to find something similar on RAS.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:24 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,186 Likes on 1,837 Posts

• PSE - Active exhaust

Do you read stuff before you post? RAS is an ADD-ON not something you delete. It is a NANNY the same way ABS is a nanny since it helps you drive the car safer. Everything you ever post on the subject reeks of binary logic, which doesn't exist in the real world, ignorance, and righteousness. You're constantly telling people to go buy relics and in this case an Elise. I'm on Porsche number 12 and many here have owned far more than I. I've also been involved in motorsports for about 18 years which requires understanding of how a car works that you evidently don't have beyond reading **** on the internet. The only decision to make is about where different people draw the line on tech and specifically nannies. Clearly you want all the technology that Porsche has to sell you and probably bought things like assisted steering. I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum. I'm buying a new 911 knowing full well how much tech is in it and I'm choosing not to add more, especially when it's not useful. Live with it and stop putting people down for expressing views that are different from yours. Above I offered the OP my opinion on the drawbacks AND BENEFITS of PDCC and RAS. Sorry you don't like it. You're very welcome to your opinion but f*ck off with your righteous attitude telling people that you're right and they're wrong.
Cartod (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 07:19 PM
secondtimer
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Not a must-have but if you like "flat" cornering then it is. I will getting it on mine.

Quick Reply: Speccing a 992 GTS - Question on PDCC+RAS