Sponsored by:

DIY garage door button mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 07:11 PM
PhotoNerd
Track Day

Received 57 Likes on 17 Posts
Default DIY garage door button mod

Result: 1-4 garage door opener buttons that look OEM-enough and can be easily returned to stock:

Tools:
  • Soldering iron & solder
  • Flathead screwdriver
  • Tiny Phillips screwdriver
  • T-20 bit
  • Drill with 12mm drill bit

Parts:
Steps:
1. Open tiny grill on passenger side of overhead console. No need to open the driver's side grill.

2. Use a T-20 bit to remove the screw behind the grill.

3. Pull the overhead console down from the rear edge, then slide it to the right. Use a flathead screwdriver to push the clip on the wire harness and release it.

4. Remove the center plastic panel by using a small flathead screwdriver to release the four clips.

5. Using the inside of the panel, measure about 5/8" from each side and mark the center point for your holes. Use a step bit to drill the holes, from the inside of the panel, 12mm wide if you're using my suggested buttons.

6. Insert the buttons into the holes with the wires facing inside. Tighten them down finger tight. There's a rubber gasket so don't twist too hard.

7. Program your garage remote to open your doors. Make note of the location of the buttons so you know which pins match up. Disassemble your garage remote.

8. Solder the wires from your buttons to the matching pins on the circuit board. It helps to tin the wires. If you don't know how to solder, me neither. I watched a YouTube video and did a good enough job.

Positive/negative/black/red does not matter. Do pay attention to which button opens which garage door so your left button opens your left door.

Connect the wires so they lay flat rather than perpendicular.

Depending on your opener, it might be easier to solder to the back of the pins.

9. Insulate your circuit board with a bag or something. Reattach the center panel to the overhead console. Fit the circuit board in a gap.

10. Reattach it to the car by sliding it left and then pushing up. Remember the harness, which just snaps back in. Replace the screw. Be careful replacing the grill because the hinge can come loose and is fragile.

Take a pic and share it here!

Last edited by PhotoNerd; 03-11-2023 at 07:14 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by PhotoNerd:
aggie57 (03-12-2023), AlterZgo (03-11-2023), Cyberzolot (04-09-2023), eclou (03-13-2023), null (03-11-2023), siberian (04-08-2023), vg247 (04-08-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-11-2023, 07:21 PM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 221 Posts

Nice work!

I wonder how hard it would be to run a 12V>3V step down adapter to drive it with vehicle switched power, rather than the battery...
Old 03-11-2023, 08:48 PM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 854 Likes on 394 Posts

Great job - looks OEM.

Unfortunately on cab roof securing latch is in that spot but shows what can be done when thinking outside the box 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited by audi4t; 03-11-2023 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 09:04 PM
PhotoNerd
Track Day

Originally Posted by null
Nice work!

I wonder how hard it would be to run a 12V>3V step down adapter to drive it with vehicle switched power, rather than the battery...
Not hard. The part is like $7 and there's power in the console to tap into... Just solder it to the +/- battery leads. I figured the battery lasts 2-5 years so it probably wouldn't be worth it.
Old 03-11-2023, 09:06 PM
PhotoNerd
Track Day

Originally Posted by audi4t
Great job - looks OEM.

Unfortunately on cab roof securing latch is in that spot but shows what can be done when thinking outside the box 🤣🤣🤣

You could put the buttons anywhere. I felt like the center console was too prominent, so my second choice was the steering column which seems to have plenty of space behind it.
The following users liked this post:
audi4t (03-11-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 11:06 PM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by PhotoNerd
figured the battery lasts 2-5 years so it probably wouldn't be worth it.
I think you're probably right. I sometimes leave a car outside... It's extremely unlikely, but in those cases, if someone got into the car without the key, I'd hate for them to also have access to the garage...

Regardless, slick work. Bookmarked so I can follow in your footsteps someday...
Old 03-14-2023, 12:20 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by null
Nice work! I wonder how hard it would be to run a 12V>3V step down adapter to drive it with vehicle switched power, rather than the battery...
Here's a solution via Amazon for $6.89:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Bluehighways; 03-14-2023 at 12:23 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY garage door button mod