Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on reality of trying to buy a new CS

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 11:30 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I had "order demands" with 4 dealerships in the NY Tristate area. Not one of them became an allocation.

But there are other possiblities that can create a buying opportunity but you need to be flexible.

(1) Bonus cars. Porsche NA will award bonus cars to select dealers as recognition for hitting a key performance result. I was offered an S coupe by the General Sales Manager after my random phone call and he said he had one coming in 2 weeks. Beautiful car but it was a PDK and I wanted a manual.

(2) ESCC cars. Porsche NA will provide a dealer with a car over and above their allocation if they will load it up with tons of exclusive options and showcase the car on their showroom floor for 30 days. Usually a pricey car but if you can catch one, that is a win in my eyes. My long time dealer called and said they were building a Targa 4S under the ESCC program and although they cannot sell it until it arrives on the showroom floor, he offered it to me which I said yes before he finished his sentence. My wait was 2 months for a 2022 Targa 4S. I am loving it.

My point is that there might be other units that become available which are not part of the allocaiton process and you should ask about them. You need to be flexible.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:48 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 901 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by scr1244
I spoke with what seemed to be a knowledgeable sales rep in Birmingham Alabama. He claims that Porsche is primarily building Turbo S and GTS in the 911 configuration. Reason is because they are so very profitable for the factory. Joining their list for a 911 S will be at least a one year or more wait. In the meantime we continue the hunt for a slightly used one.
Well, that seems to differ with the number of T allocations and orders people right here on RL are talking about. It seems to me that the T allocations/builds are pumped up right now. The Turbo S and GTS are indeed profitable, but at their price points there isn't unlimited demand for them.
The following users liked this post:
992carrerat (03-12-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 08:07 PM
por356
Racer

Received 382 Likes on 149 Posts

…………

Last edited by por356; 03-12-2023 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Already answered
Old 03-12-2023, 08:21 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 434 Posts

After being in this similar situation, I decided to pursue a cpo c2s. Unfortunately the markup on used 992s is also a maddening factor right now. Most cars I seriously considered were about 5k over their original msrp. This seems to be coming down as we speak…..One out of state dealer was kind enough to offer me a brand new 23’ high spec base, which I jumped at. I was ok with either base or s in my search. Good luck and be patient.
Dave16 (03-13-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 09:10 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave16
I have been scouring the preowned market. My list of "must haves" will likely have to change if I am to go that route. I know it sounds silly but I feel like dropping $160K should bring everything I want. First world problems, I know.
Keep in mind that ordering new may not bring everything you want either. I wanted Lava Orange. It was discontinued in ‘23. I switched PTS Gulf Orange. PTS went stop sale for the rest of MY 23. I switched to Guards Red and loaded up on interior upgrades. 3 of those (two big ticket ones) were on stop sale.

Last edited by jhenson29; 03-12-2023 at 10:47 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by jhenson29:
adrianp89 (03-13-2023), bobert75 (03-12-2023), Go Bruins (03-12-2023), Wilder (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 09:35 AM
Dave16
Advanced

Received 117 Likes on 34 Posts

I really appreciate all of the responses.

My plan at this point is to put in the deposit and get on my local dealer's list. The point about some colors/options changing is a concern. I will continue to keep an eye on the preowned market and am hopeful I can find a 2020+ with low miles that ticks most/all my boxes in the meantime.

Thank you again for the advice. I am very much looking forward to officially joining the 911 club.
Old 03-13-2023, 11:20 AM
meyecul
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave16

the dealer that said they have 611 (yes 611, I did not hear incorrectly), said that because they are only asking for $1000 deposit many fall through when it is time to actually sign and provide the 10% build cost.

Thanks again all. I did talk to the local dealer salesperson again yesterday and will go in this week to drop off my deposit check. If I find a car in the next 18-24 months I can get my check back.
I would not walk, but run away from any dealer taking $1000 deposits with a 911 waitlist 611 clients long. Please please process that notion for a moment. That is the public giving their local dealer an interest free 18-24 month $600k+ loan. What a joke and shame on them for continuing to take deposits. If that 611 number is true, does not matter what percentage is falling off the list, if they really are first come first serve, you are never getting a car in 18-24, rather many many years.
The following 3 users liked this post by meyecul:
johny221 (03-13-2023), maschinetheist (04-07-2023), pkalhan (04-16-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 04:11 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

611 folks each putting down a $1000 deposit??? I smell B/S...I'm sure you can find an out of state dealer somewhere in US who has an open allocation in exchange for an ADM. Just pay to get your car delivered to the PEC in Atlanta to avoid having the car shipped to GA

Last edited by 3uros; 03-13-2023 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2023, 08:56 PM
NewTX911
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 30 Posts

Your story resonates with me, given I was in the exact same position in February 2022 (search my prior posts) - new to Porsche and learning about the market dynamics. A few things:
- relationships do matter, as with any business transaction
- time/certainty = money (it’s a trade-off)
- with inflation, annual price increases - debate is real with having a car now vs. at an uncertain time in the future (you may end up paying same amount but something to be said about being able to enjoy it NOW)

My quick summary: I got to know my SA (so he knew I wasn’t a flipper). I then asked to meet the GM when there didn’t seem to be any progress - GM offered me a 2022 GTS cab that someone backed out of. I bought it, with all aware I was really looking for a newbuild allocation. I finally traded in that GTS cab for a GTS coupe allocation that came in two weeks ago - I effectively paid $12K ADM (given required dealer add-ons and lowered trade-in value) and waited 13 months. Just one data point and a lot of hassle - but I chose this route (instead of calling around) since even if I bought the vehicle out of state, I would still need it serviced locally.

Good luck, but you’ll definitely have to work for it. (Or just throw money at the problem).

aspan (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 09:17 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by 3uros
611 folks each putting down a $1000 deposit??? I smell B/S...I'm sure you can find an out of state dealer somewhere in US who has an open allocation in exchange for an ADM. Just pay to get your car delivered to the PEC in Atlanta to avoid having the car shipped to GA
Yep, it’s certainly hard to believe. I remember when the Emira was launching, my Lotus dealer called and asked if I’d like to get on the waitlist. I asked him what spot I’d get and he said #125. The call did not last but another few seconds.
pkalhan (04-16-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 10:23 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 901 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by FORENN
Yep, it’s certainly hard to believe. I remember when the Emira was launching, my Lotus dealer called and asked if I’d like to get on the waitlist. I asked him what spot I’d get and he said #125. The call did not last but another few seconds.
Everyone who wants an Emira, is probably on the waiting list at every single Lotus dealer in the country. This is what inflates the up front demand view. Same with the Z06 - it's sold out for the entire 7 year model run based on the advance order view. Because everyone who wants one, is on 5+ waiting lists, they even have a family member on the list too. So the person who wants one Z06, has 10 reservations for it.

Many people here say a (small) deposit for a demand order is bad practice, but it at least provides some resistance for people just jumping on demand orders at multiple dealers.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:26 PM
Freddy98
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 3uros
Number of people waiting for S, GTS and Targa allocation is about the same with my local dealer (55). I made a $1000 deposit for a GTS making me the 56th. Wife is probably getting a Macan so hoping that will improve my chances of getting the allocation sooner.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:05 AM
Bezlar
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 55 Posts

I’m confused on why people don’t find a nicely used low mileage car and skip the hassle of ordering? Most people tire of their new shiny toy within a year nowadays. Makes for great opportunity to skip the line. We found a beautiful c4s pts 2021 for $8k below sticker. Couldn’t be more happy.
pkalhan (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 08:45 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Bezlar
I’m confused on why people don’t find a nicely used low mileage car and skip the hassle of ordering? Most people tire of their new shiny toy within a year nowadays. Makes for great opportunity to skip the line. We found a beautiful c4s pts 2021 for $8k below sticker. Couldn’t be more happy.
Most times this always becomes a compromise and you don’t get exactly what you want, especially if you have very specific must have options.

I almost purchased a 2021 CPO two weeks ago at original MSRP and low miles. It was on the other side of the country, so I couldn’t see it in person. It was GT Silver with 7-speed manual and Burmester which are must haves for me. It had the blue interior which doesn’t go well with GT Silver, sunroof which I don’t want, no PSE, and no preparation for roof transport. It was a compromise build that I did consider, but the compromises held me back. Plus, I was on a ski vacation that I was more focused on then buying a car. It ended up selling 5 days after the dealer received it.
Old 04-16-2023, 09:27 AM
Bezlar
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by txpackers
Most times this always becomes a compromise and you don’t get exactly what you want, especially if you have very specific must have options.

I almost purchased a 2021 CPO two weeks ago at original MSRP and low miles. It was on the other side of the country, so I couldn’t see it in person. It was GT Silver with 7-speed manual and Burmester which are must haves for me. It had the blue interior which doesn’t go well with GT Silver, sunroof which I don’t want, no PSE, and no preparation for roof transport. It was a compromise build that I did consider, but the compromises held me back. Plus, I was on a ski vacation that I was more focused on then buying a car. It ended up selling 5 days after the dealer received it.
I searched for two months. There are quite a few used cars around. I used the Porsche USA search. All you have to do is put in zip codes from around the country and you will be able to see most of them. Friend of ours also just bought one certified.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on reality of trying to buy a new CS