Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on reality of trying to buy a new CS

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 12:21 PM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 827 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
The other issue you have here based on the cities I see you listing - a huge number of higher income people are moving to the US southeast, leaving the northeast, California, the pacific northwest, Illinois, and all the rest. That's putting upward pressure on demand in that part of the country, and the Porsche dealer network isn't as built out there to meet the demand surge that comes with a significant population relocation of higher income people.
Yes - Georgia has a population of around 9 million and just 2 dealers both in Atlanta. Connecticut with a population of around 4 million has 5 dealers
The following users liked this post:
aspan (03-12-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 01:14 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Some dealer out there somewhere has an allocation waiting to be snatched by a customer. Call nationwide. If you put the time in, you'll get what you're looking for.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:43 PM
HappinessProcured
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 110 Posts

I was on an impossibly long list for a C2S. After a year, learned there was only one in line for a GTS. Decision made.
Old 03-11-2023, 02:10 PM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave16
I have spent weeks on the Porsche website debating what I truly wanted in my build...

if I was to receive an allocation it wouldn't be for 18-24 months, making it a 2025 model...

My question is, how likely do you all think I will eventually receive an allocation?

... the combination of colors, manual, adaptive sport seats, and aerokit, make my desired car uncommon. Ideally I'd wait for an allocation if I knew one were coming eventually.

You will eventually get an allocation, but you might nevertheless be waiting for Gadot, as by the time you DO get an allocation, some of the options that you "spent weeks" picking to make your configuration "uncommon" might no longer be offered (BTDT).

Indeed, changes to the availability of options and pricing (if not the model itself!) might mean that, after a very long wait for an allocation, you end up with a car that's not much different (other than costing more) from many used cars you could have purchased along the way.

Personally, after having gone this road, I'd say the question should not be "will I eventually get an allocation," which suggests a number of unsafe assumptions about the future. Rather, I think the question should be "what do I want, what's it worth, and how can I ensure I get it."

Dave16 (03-12-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Are you reaching out to other dealers Dave?
Old 03-11-2023, 02:25 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by audi4t
Yes - Georgia has a population of around 9 million and just 2 dealers both in Atlanta. Connecticut with a population of around 4 million has 5 dealers
I think it is because Connecticut has a lot more disposable income and probably more demand for high end cars.
Old 03-11-2023, 02:38 PM
McNamara
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

OP either missed or is avoiding the most important question which is how much of an ADM are you comfortable with?
Icegrill (03-12-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 02:56 PM
Spaz617
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audi4t
That doesn't matter. There are more people in Connecticut who can afford them. That's why there are more dealerships in Connecticut. There are a total of 8 dealerships in all of India and there population is in the billions.
Old 03-11-2023, 04:15 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Reality is a long wait.

Use porsche finder to identify similar specd vehicle. While not almost the same youll find a few. Try the southern California area on Porsche Finder. Quite a few S or higher pop up. Offer an ADM that you can afford and build into budget. Buy that car.

McKenna porsche have a 911 GTS manual with ~$160K MSRP (almlst same MSRP as your built). There's $25K adjustment but if you are serious, you can negotiate and bring it down.
Old 03-11-2023, 05:06 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Just looked: there's 27 Carrera S 911's within 500 miles of you from used to new
Old 03-11-2023, 05:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Do the following in this order:

1. Call the dealer that has a 600 person waiting list and ask how much it would take, above MSRP, to get an allocation today. If you are comfortable with that number, pay it and spec your car. If not, move to 2, below.
2. Call the other Porsche dealer in your area (the on with a 24 wait list) and ask the same question. If you are ok with the answer, pay it and spec your car. If not, move 3, below.
3. There are 199 Porsche dealers in the U.S. You've already called 2 of them, so that leaves you 197. Jump on TaskRabbit, or do it yourself, and contact (pref. by phone, email may work) and contact each of them and ask if they have an open allocation and if not, how much it would take to get today if you were amenable to paying a markup over MSRP.

Point being that there are going to be a few dealers out there that will have a configurable allocation but it will be spoken for by someone who has either (1) been on a waiting list for 18-24 months (to use your example) or (2) paid an ADM or (3) both.

So if you want to jump the line and get an allocation today as opposed to 18-24 months or whenever, then you'll most likely have to pay up.

Good luck. Times are tough.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 03-11-2023 at 05:15 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Dave16 (03-12-2023), detansinn (03-11-2023), Icegrill (03-12-2023), Motorin Mark (03-11-2023), pkalhan (03-12-2023), Staffie Guy (03-11-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-11-2023, 11:12 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Do the following in this order:

1. Call the dealer that has a 600 person waiting list and ask how much it would take, above MSRP, to get an allocation today. If you are comfortable with that number, pay it and spec your car. If not, move to 2, below.
2. Call the other Porsche dealer in your area (the on with a 24 wait list) and ask the same question. If you are ok with the answer, pay it and spec your car. If not, move 3, below.
3. There are 199 Porsche dealers in the U.S. You've already called 2 of them, so that leaves you 197. Jump on TaskRabbit, or do it yourself, and contact (pref. by phone, email may work) and contact each of them and ask if they have an open allocation and if not, how much it would take to get today if you were amenable to paying a markup over MSRP.

Point being that there are going to be a few dealers out there that will have a configurable allocation but it will be spoken for by someone who has either (1) been on a waiting list for 18-24 months (to use your example) or (2) paid an ADM or (3) both.

So if you want to jump the line and get an allocation today as opposed to 18-24 months or whenever, then you'll most likely have to pay up.

Good luck. Times are tough.
Based on some recent accounts posted on this very forum, I'm not sure one needs to pay an ADM. One just needs to dial until you hit pay.
Dave16 (03-12-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 10:20 AM
Dave16
Advanced

Received 117 Likes on 34 Posts

Thank you for the replies and feedback.

"Are you reaching out to other dealers Dave?"

I have reached out to dealers in the southeast. All have similar lists and are supporting local buyers.

"OP either missed or is avoiding the most important question which is how much of an ADM are you comfortable with?"

I have inquired with both my local dealers about the possibility to pay an ADM. Each has stated they do not accept ADMs to "jump the line", nor do they consider vehicle cost as a factor. First come first served is the message I received. That said, the dealer that said they have 611 (yes 611, I did not hear incorrectly), said that because they are only asking for $1000 deposit many fall through when it is time to actually sign and provide the 10% build cost.

"Use porsche finder to identify similar specd vehicle. While not almost the same youll find a few. Try the southern California area on Porsche Finder. Quite a few S or higher pop up. Offer an ADM that you can afford and build into budget. Buy that car.
McKenna porsche have a 911 GTS manual with ~$160K MSRP (almlst same MSRP as your built). There's $25K adjustment but if you are serious, you can negotiate and bring it down."

I have been scouring the preowned market. My list of "must haves" will likely have to change if I am to go that route. I know it sounds silly but I feel like dropping $160K should bring everything I want. First world problems, I know.

Thanks again all. I did talk to the local dealer salesperson again yesterday and will go in this week to drop off my deposit check. If I find a car in the next 18-24 months I can get my check back.

Last edited by Dave16; 03-12-2023 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:38 AM
scr1244
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 268 Posts

I spoke with what seemed to be a knowledgeable sales rep in Birmingham Alabama. He claims that Porsche is primarily building Turbo S and GTS in the 911 configuration. Reason is because they are so very profitable for the factory. Joining their list for a 911 S will be at least a one year or more wait. In the meantime we continue the hunt for a slightly used one.
Old 03-12-2023, 11:26 AM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

There are tons of 992 CPO Carrera S' available. IMHO the CPO route is a great alternative unless your needs are some exotic combination of colors, options, European Delivery, or just wanting that 'new car smell'. Given the drama of all the recent 'stop sale' dictates for various options (LWB, PCCB, etc) I'd gladly trade the surety of a 'car in hand' for driving season as opposed to a two year wait.... YMMV.

PCNA country wide search link here
The following 3 users liked this post by jlegelis:
Dave16 (03-12-2023), Icegrill (03-12-2023), mikey94025 (03-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on reality of trying to buy a new CS