Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are no sunroof cars really undesirable for trade/resale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023 | 07:34 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

no
The following 2 users liked this post by Scott P:
JoeyBagadonuts (03-05-2023), reddysum (02-22-2023)
Old 02-21-2023 | 08:13 PM
gman3280
Pro

Prefer no sunroof
The following users liked this post:
Andy2021 (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023 | 10:56 PM
phila12180
Racer

There is a saying in the car business, " there is an *** for every seat". Sunroof or no sunroof someone will buy it. There are as many people out there that want a sunroof as don't want a sunroof. I don't think there will be much difference in value either way
Old 02-22-2023 | 01:13 AM
Pilot27767
7th Gear

I owned 2017 Targa before and was driving her with open roof only for a few days in winter. Sun rays are typically so sharp in Southern California that not having a steel roof can be a mistake. Also no sunroof option makes no funny squeaky sounds... Thus there is no sunroof on my current machine!
Old 02-22-2023 | 01:17 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

A car without a sunroof is harder for the dealer to re-sell.

A car without a sunroof is not harder for you to re-sell, esp. if you are trading it back to the dealer.
Old 02-22-2023 | 02:51 AM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Originally Posted by nyca
Talked to a dealer today about a build, and of course as noted here many times, the "deposit will have to be higher because you have no sunroof" came up. Not that I care about the deposit number, but is it really true that if I went to trade/sell the car someday, the value of it would be markedly less because it didn't have a sunroof? I don't think I could live with the glass version because I like the continuous paint look for the roof, but do people here think that tossing the steel sunroof into a build is a safer bet for resale/trade in the future?
I would not buy a car without sunroof but that's my personal preference. I bet you can find someone who likes the slicktop and actually doesn't want a sunroof
Old 02-22-2023 | 04:59 AM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would never buy sunroof on a sports car. It's just in conflict with sports car purpose. Lots of extra weight and not much use at speed. It has to be either targa or convertible if you want open air. But never a sunroof.

I would suggest not letting a car dealer dictate you how to configure car for the next owner after you

Originally Posted by nyca
Talked to a dealer today about a build, and of course as noted here many times, the "deposit will have to be higher because you have no sunroof" came up. Not that I care about the deposit number, but is it really true that if I went to trade/sell the car someday, the value of it would be markedly less because it didn't have a sunroof? I don't think I could live with the glass version because I like the continuous paint look for the roof, but do people here think that tossing the steel sunroof into a build is a safer bet for resale/trade in the future?
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

The following 2 users liked this post by t-design:
DocM (02-22-2023), zyster (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023 | 12:47 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Some people pay $4k NOT to have a sunroof.
Old 02-22-2023 | 12:57 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

99% of posts on Rennlist are people expressing their opinions. This thread is no different, in my humble opinion.
Old 02-22-2023 | 12:59 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by avid
Some people pay $4k NOT to have a sunroof.
I'd rather have a glass sunroof than that awful carbon fiber top.
Old 02-22-2023 | 02:27 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

I think in the near future a sunroof will help resale as it plays to the masses. In the very distant future, the luxury options seem to not be as important to the enthusiast collectors. This is only based on what I see in the used market in regards to demand for stripped down cars vs loaded. My crystal ball is not always correct though :P
Old 02-22-2023 | 02:28 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I'd rather have a glass sunroof than that awful carbon fiber top.
I've not seen one in person, but curious on your thoughts here as I have it in our upcoming build spec.
Old 02-22-2023 | 03:54 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
I've not seen one in person, but curious on your thoughts here as I have it in our upcoming build spec.
Not a fan of carbon fiber interior treatments as I think they are a bit passe.
Not a fan of exterior elements that don't bring aesthetic homogeneity, which is why I don't particularly like the sunroof options. As you can see from my pics above if the glass sunroof had body color panels in front and rear and around it , it might look better, but making it all black I personally think hurts the exterior look, unless the car is black, and many of us feel that black is a poor color choice on a car like a 992.
So I suppose if you were getting a black 992, the CF roof might blend a little more... but as I understand it you really need to be track focused as the weight saving is just not that worth it. Not for a daily driver. I think for a daily driver the pros of the CF roof are outweighed by the cons.
That said, everyone is entitled to their opinions and tastes. These are just mine (and possibly others) and I'm not a fan. My SUV is a 2018 and has a fairly tasteful CF interior treatment in lieu of wood and it looks good. I didn't pick it, but it's ok. I have a friend who has a ton of CF on a white R8 and it looks good. But again, I feel like CF trim falls quite a bit into the been there done that camp and is on its way out. Feels like you are dating the car with it. Maybe that's the goal.
Old 02-22-2023 | 04:04 PM
nyca
Drifting

My takeaway from this thread is that the steel sunroof is the best compromise, maintains the paint color across the roof but still offers an open top for occasional use and won't be a negative factor on a trade/resale. And the cost to add it is reasonable as options go.
Old 02-22-2023 | 04:47 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
A friend just picked up a CPO S in Guards Red with the CF roof. I think it looks great. I didn't even initially notice it was CF until I looked up close. Thought it was just the glass sunroof at first. Black trim is complimentary to red so it works well IMO. The weave pattern isn't an obvious checker board pattern nor is it the in-your face marbled look that Lamborghini is into now. It's actually fairly subtle.

Quick Reply: are no sunroof cars really undesirable for trade/resale?