Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling on Consignment Or Sell Back To Local Porsche Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023 | 03:20 AM
r00t61
Pro

Originally Posted by Motorin Mark
So we are also seeing this in the motorcycle business. I am a sales trainer for Honda motorcycles and what we are seeing from many dealers is in fact not so much greedy dealers, but lazy dealers. You see ever since the start of Covid in 2020, so many dealers (both auto and m/c) have had it so "easy" just "taking orders" that they have completely forgot how to sell and how to respond/treat customers, especially high-line customers. This is why you/we are seeing Salesman and Sales Managers often seeming to not have interest or return calls in a prompt manner. Before Covid, every Salesperson and Sales Manager was "on it" immediately or else the customer simply moved on to another dealer. I'm pretty sure we have all had that Salesman that called us at 8:30 at night to see if we were still interested in his car, right? Anybody finding that happening from our current S/A?.... Nope. Also we are finding dealers that absolutely must make a "grand slam" on every bike they sell or they just blow the customer out. This could be why that the Sales Manager never called you back, if he can't make $20K on purchasing your car, then F it....We are seriously struggling to bring some of these dealers back down to reality of today's market. Suppose they purchased your car and "only" made $12.5K on it? Damn, that's still a $12.5K PROFIT!! My successful dealers are selling everything that we can send them, but, these sharp dealers that are doing this realize that not every deal is a "home run" and understand that and are gaining a customer and said customer leaves happy and not pissed off the way he was at a dealer that would not give a inch on price. Most Rennlist folks would tend to call these dealers "greedy", we call them "lazy" too and honestly what we are witnessing is that many dealers have lost the art of selling and providing the customer with a positive consumer experience and that is what the customers (including us Porsche customers) remember and how this keeps customers loyal to the brand and to our/their dealerships.
So the rumors that are floating around the industry, is that both dealers and manufacturers much prefer this current model of "no inventory, build to order" vs the old "lots of cars on the lot, discounts a plenty" - and are working (together) to ensure that they never go back to the old ways again. This is probably a form of price fixing/collusion - similar to what the semiconductor giants get sued for (and lose in court) every couple of years. Yes, all it takes for the whole cartel to break down, is one manufacturer to go back to the old way again. Or for someone like Tesla to simply obsolete the entire dealer construct altogether through their direct-buy scheme.

But for now, that's why dealers can afford to treat you, the customer, like the dirty scum that he just scraped off the bottom of his shoe. There's more of you wanting to buy, than he has product to sell. And that means he has all the leverage.
Old 01-29-2023 | 03:54 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Dealer.

Consignment works only if you have time on your side.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023 | 07:14 AM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by r00t61
So the rumors that are floating around the industry, is that both dealers and manufacturers much prefer this current model of "no inventory, build to order" vs the old "lots of cars on the lot, discounts a plenty" - and are working (together) to ensure that they never go back to the old ways again. This is probably a form of price fixing/collusion - similar to what the semiconductor giants get sued for (and lose in court) every couple of years. Yes, all it takes for the whole cartel to break down, is one manufacturer to go back to the old way again. Or for someone like Tesla to simply obsolete the entire dealer construct altogether through their direct-buy scheme.

But for now, that's why dealers can afford to treat you, the customer, like the dirty scum that he just scraped off the bottom of his shoe. There's more of you wanting to buy, than he has product to sell. And that means he has all the leverage.
I understand the desire for low/no inventory somewhat, but this is a low-miles 911 in a spec’d to sell easy. I don’t get it, it’s not a Python Green Panamera…it WILL sell, even in this rapidly changing market.

So why don’t I do it myself you ask? I want(ed) the ease of selling to the dealer.
Old 01-29-2023 | 08:12 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
I'm considering parting ways with my 2021 Carrera S coupe, and I'm considering either consignment with a local high-end dealer, or selling my car back to the local Porsche dealer.

I'm largely considering consignment right now, because oddly enough my local Porsche dealer is not returning emails or calls.

Anyways, any thoughts or insights on your selling experiences would be most welcome!

Cheers!
I was in the same boat last year with my manual 2018 C4S with 20k miles. I had bought it new, factory order with an MSRP of 133k. . The local dealer I bought the car from offered 105 for a trade. No direct buyout offer. I sold it on consignment for MSRP. After commission, I got back what ai had originally paid for the car.
The following users liked this post:
gcurnew (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023 | 10:07 AM
Motorin Mark
Pro

Originally Posted by r00t61

While I cannot speak for all manufactures I can say that Honda is trying to produce all the Motorcycles/ATV/Side-bySide's that they can and my successful, aggressive dealers would actually take ALL of the product that Honda could supply them right now. The "old way" worked great for dealers that have their sh*t together and it got them many more happy customers for life. Think about it for just a minute...the more bikes you sell, the more parts/accessories you sell and the more service customers you get and all dealers need parts and service customers to survive. Making that one "grand slam"? Well believe me when that customer you just laid away comes out of the ether, and is ready to purchase again, he's not coming back to see you. It really is that simple. Since motorcycles are mass produced and none of them are "built to order" it is a bit of a different play for us. We find that dealers that are constantly pissing and moaning about Floor Plan costs etc are just lazy dealers waiting for some clown to walk in and roll over with cash running out of his/her pocket. The top Florida Honda motorcycle dealer in Florida is paying under $900 a month in floor plan expense, that is because he is selling everything at the proper price, treats his customers with respect and appreciation and is not lazy by any means.

Last edited by Motorin Mark; 01-29-2023 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2023 | 10:12 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If a dealer had an immediate buyer waiting for your car spec, they’d likely do the deal right away. It’s no coincidence that people have stories where the dealer buys back a car and sells it in the same week.

I don’t think that it’s reasonable to be upset and go on the negative offensive with a dealership just because they don’t want or offer to buy your car. To be honest, that’s the pandemic reality distortion field and not how things usually work.
Old 01-29-2023 | 10:28 AM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by detansinn
If a dealer had an immediate buyer waiting for your car spec, they’d likely do the deal right away. It’s no coincidence that people have stories where the dealer buys back a car and sells it in the same week.

I don’t think that it’s reasonable to be upset and go on the negative offensive with a dealership just because they don’t want or offer to buy your car. To be honest, that’s the pandemic reality distortion field and not how things usually work.
Who says anyone is upset? I just want to talk to someone (anyone?) at my dealer about the possibility. It can be a 2-minute conversation. If you really think that desire is the result of some pandemic-related reality distortion, I don’t know what to tell you.

Last edited by Marantz2270; 01-29-2023 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Grammar
The following 5 users liked this post by Marantz2270:
detansinn (01-29-2023), KLOC (02-12-2023), Motorin Mark (01-29-2023), NEH51 (02-14-2023), Spider008 (05-10-2024)
Old 01-29-2023 | 11:10 AM
Motorin Mark
Pro

Originally Posted by detansinn

I do not think OP is upset or negative. I would say just disappointed in the lack of response from this dealer. Again may be one of those dealers that is not interested unless they can make a $20K gross on his car..... $10-$12K gross, just not enough profit for some dealers today. Sad but true these days. Sounds as is if OP does have a desirable car that would sell very quickly in today's market especially at a Porsche dealer. I understand not trying to sell it yourself as most folks do indeed finance their cars and that is much easier for the dealer to accomplish for the buyer.

Last edited by Motorin Mark; 01-29-2023 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-29-2023 | 11:13 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

You probably have looked at the market to gauge where cars similar to yours are priced at - at least the ask. And you can see how long sone cars are sitting at dealers. Why not try selling it on here? May not be as simple as walking into dealer, but you’ll learn something from the attempt and it won’t cost you anything.
Old 01-29-2023 | 11:15 AM
CAL992GTS
Intermediate

So we are also seeing this in the motorcycle business. I am a sales trainer for Honda motorcycles and what we are seeing from many dealers is in fact not so much greedy dealers, but lazy dealers. You see ever since the start of Covid in 2020, so many dealers (both auto and m/c) have had it so "easy" just "taking orders" that they have completely forgot how to sell and how to respond/treat customers, especially high-line customers. This is why you/we are seeing Salesman and Sales Managers often seeming to not have interest or return calls in a prompt manner. Before Covid, every Salesperson and Sales Manager was "on it" immediately or else the customer simply moved on to another dealer. I'm pretty sure we have all had that Salesman that called us at 8:30 at night to see if we were still interested in his car, right? Anybody finding that happening from our current S/A?.... Nope. Also we are finding dealers that absolutely must make a "grand slam" on every bike they sell or they just blow the customer out. This could be why that the Sales Manager never called you back, if he can't make $20K on purchasing your car, then F it....We are seriously struggling to bring some of these dealers back down to reality of today's market. Suppose they purchased your car and "only" made $12.5K on it? Damn, that's still a $12.5K PROFIT!! My successful dealers are selling everything that we can send them, but, these sharp dealers that are doing this realize that not every deal is a "home run" and understand that and are gaining a customer and said customer leaves happy and not pissed off the way he was at a dealer that would not give a inch on price. Most Rennlist folks would tend to call these dealers "greedy", we call them "lazy" too and honestly what we are witnessing is that many dealers have lost the art of selling and providing the customer with a positive consumer experience and that is what the customers (including us Porsche customers) remember and how this keeps customers loyal to the brand and to our/their dealerships.
You hit the nail on the head! I own a real estate brokerage and am seeing this on my side as well. For the past three years our agents have had lead after lead consistently fall in their lap. Over the past few weeks in our market it has shifted to where they actually have to come to the office and physically prospect for leads. Switch over to the SA not returning a call, heck my local dealer has called me for allocations on two different T’s, the latest with only a $5k ADM and I just bought my car from him back in November. Hopefully he can find a buyer because he is a great guy and has a great sales technique, but the market is changing. Any person in sales in this market has to realize what is going on and switch their minds back over to the old ways. Nothing is worse than not calling someone back!
The following 3 users liked this post by CAL992GTS:
Motorin Mark (01-29-2023), Patriot (02-11-2023), TK42ONE (01-31-2023)
Old 01-29-2023 | 11:24 AM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
You probably have looked at the market to gauge where cars similar to yours are priced at - at least the ask. And you can see how long sone cars are sitting at dealers. Why not try selling it on here? May not be as simple as walking into dealer, but you’ll learn something from the attempt and it won’t cost you anything.
Agree!!
Old 01-29-2023 | 11:25 AM
Marantz2270
Pro

I do not think OP is upset or negative. I would say just disappointed in the lack of response from this dealer. Again may be one of those dealers that is not interested unless they can make a $20K gross on his car..... $10-$12K gross, just not enough profit for some dealers today. Sad but true these days. Sounds as is if OP does have a desirable car that would sell very quickly in today's market especially at a Porsche dealer. I understand not trying to sell it yourself as most folks do indeed finance their cars and that is much easier for the dealer to accomplish for the buyer.
Thank you! I’m not upset or negative at all, I just want to talk to my dealer about a transaction that I thought could be mutually beneficial. I’m absolutely willing to talk about a price that can work for them…my mentality is not stuck 6 months ago when cars were going for MSRP and above. I promise I strive to be a humble realist about the current market for my car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Marantz2270:
detansinn (01-29-2023), Motorin Mark (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023 | 11:26 AM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by CAL992GTS
You hit the nail on the head! I own a real estate brokerage and am seeing this on my side as well. For the past three years our agents have had lead after lead consistently fall in their lap. Over the past few weeks in our market it has shifted to where they actually have to come to the office and physically prospect for leads. Switch over to the SA not returning a call, heck my local dealer has called me for allocations on two different T’s, the latest with only a $5k ADM and I just bought my car from him back in November. Hopefully he can find a buyer because he is a great guy and has a great sales technique, but the market is changing. Any person in sales in this market has to realize what is going on and switch their minds back over to the old ways. Nothing is worse than not calling someone back!
This, right here!!
Old 01-29-2023 | 12:59 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

@Marantz2270 A well-priced, documented 992 with no stories will always sell quickly. You could skip the consignment intermediary and pocket all the cash with very little hassle. An ad here with TONS of photos and PDFs of services etc. will almost certainly get you qualified leads. If you get meatheads and lowballers responding, just be firm with them that you don't suffer fools.
Old 01-29-2023 | 01:00 PM
4carl
Race Car

In theory consignment may be OK?
Problem is they have no financial interest in the car, so anybody that they think it’s qualified can take it out and beat the sh-t out of it.
If they don’t sell you take it back and have to deal with any issues that may have resulted from their possession.
Because they have no financial responsibility they tend to be more lenient with who they let drive the car. Carl

Quick Reply: Selling on Consignment Or Sell Back To Local Porsche Dealer?