Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do any tuners offer warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 10:43 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 434 Posts

M-Engineering tunes the factory Porsche race cars so I wouldn’t say they have no research or experience…
The following 4 users liked this post by Master Deep:
detansinn (01-22-2023), russbert (01-23-2023), Tupper (01-22-2023), zachr (01-23-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 10:47 AM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 95 Posts

I honestly wonder how many people actually get any use of a tune.

When i did my PEC delivery and had the demo laps from the pro driver, i was holding on for dear life. Never thought I'd feel like a grandma, but there i was, holding on to the armrest harder than anything I've held onto before, and using all my neck muscles to keep my head from banging around the cabin. It was in that moment that I realized i will NEVER drive this car to its full capabilities.

If you track it and are able to get all its glory out of it, i get it. But otherwise, my unsolicited advice is to take some track lessons and learn how to get all out of the car before getting a tune. Then if you still crave more, make that decision.

But like others have said, dont count on any warranty. just be prepared to drop 80k if something happens.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 11:00 AM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The words “tuner” and “warranty” should never be used in the same sentence
Exactly... If you want to play you've got to be willing to pay.

I've rolled the dice tuning new cars and yet to come up empty handed, but I know it's a possibility.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:09 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by FamousJamisFan
That's apples & oranges and even less of a reason to use their tune. Virtually all racing teams out there consider all parts down to the pistons to be replaceable/disposable items in their race cars after each race. Can you say the same for your personal car (and the finances that come with that)? If not, then why would you think that is the tuning company for you?
Mitch McKee's company is the probably best in the business right now. The name @M Engineering is relatively new in the Porsche space, but the reputation is well-earned. If you missed it, be sure to catch the Smoking Tire Podcast interview with him.

Old 01-22-2023, 12:15 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by srf409
It helps to use a tune from a respected, well known tuning outfit with a solid reputation vs a local Joe Scmuck who just bought a dyno at an auction is now in the "tuning" business.
Most of the aftermarket tunes from the supporting vendors here are not overly aggressive and well within the limits of the very stout 911 powerplant.
I have yet to hear of anyone "blowing" a motor with a tune from a first class tuner.
I would imagine because anything that is "settled" with a tuner comes with an NDA.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:01 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

It's also a matter of blind trust that Porsche will make an engine that's bulletproof. If there's an inherent problem with the engine AND a tune, the latter will be at fault as they don't actually investigate when they can blame (much simpler and cheaper for VW).
We know they never mess up with their engineer. IMS, GT3 fires, PDK stumble, GT4 boltgate, all the electronic stupidity on the 992, the numerous lemon taycans and so on are just flukes.
The following 2 users liked this post by John Mclane:
detansinn (01-22-2023), Tupper (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 02:17 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Master Deep
M-Engineering tunes the factory Porsche race cars so I wouldn’t say they have no research or experience…
LOL

When you find a tuner that provides the aftermarket support of a race team please let me know.

I’d love to get on that gravy train.
AlexCeres (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 03:00 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 331 Likes on 195 Posts

TechArt makes a big deal about their tune and its warranty, but I'd read the warranty carefully before I installed the tune. I suspect full engine replacement is not part of the bargain.
Old 01-22-2023, 03:20 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

Most off-the-self or piggyback tunes are pretty mild and not likely to damage the engine. The problem comes if something goes wrong with the engine that is unrelated to the tune, the dealer will blame the tune and that will be that.

I would not tune a car if you live in a place with emissions testing. Sometimes you get a check engine light, usually right around the time the emissions testing is due. You can reset the light with the Accessport but it takes a while for all of the parameters needed to pass the emissions test to come back to ready. It is a PIA.

The most successful tuning I ever did was with an E85 conversion on a GTR and a custom tune from a senior Cobb Tuning tuner who did some custom work on the side. This required some major component swap out; intakes, injectors, fuel delivery system, fuel pumps, CATs, spacers and exhaust. If you want to gain a few 100 HP then you have to modify the car to handle that extra air, fuel and exhaust or you will get fault codes and check engine lights. I do not think it is worth the risk to do one of these flash or piggyback tunes just to gain 25 to 50 HP. You could try some BMC filters and a higher flow exhaust to gain maybe 20 HP and not risk doing anything that could void your warranty.
Old 01-22-2023, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by blackland
Most off-the-self or piggyback tunes are pretty mild and not likely to damage the engine. The problem comes if something goes wrong with the engine that is unrelated to the tune, the dealer will blame the tune and that will be that.

I would not tune a car if you live in a place with emissions testing. Sometimes you get a check engine light, usually right around the time the emissions testing is due. You can reset the light with the Accessport but it takes a while for all of the parameters needed to pass the emissions test to come back to ready. It is a PIA.

The most successful tuning I ever did was with an E85 conversion on a GTR and a custom tune from a senior Cobb Tuning tuner who did some custom work on the side. This required some major component swap out; intakes, injectors, fuel delivery system, fuel pumps, CATs, spacers and exhaust. If you want to gain a few 100 HP then you have to modify the car to handle that extra air, fuel and exhaust or you will get fault codes and check engine lights. I do not think it is worth the risk to do one of these flash or piggyback tunes just to gain 25 to 50 HP. You could try some BMC filters and a higher flow exhaust to gain maybe 20 HP and not risk doing anything that could void your warranty.
There’s a co that changed the cats/cat back/headers on an S and did the quarter in 10.9. I think it was Ipe
Old 01-22-2023, 07:48 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

I am with some of the earlier opinions
  • tune at your own risk, when it comes down to wire you pay the bill if something breaks - no matter what anyone tells you
  • tuning is fun, but just make sure you willingly assume the risk
  • ask yourself why you want to tune, i.e. is the car not fast enough for what you use it for or "just because its easy and cheap to get some more power" or its thrills you knowing that you have more oomph than a stock 992.
I have tuned various cars before and it was the "fun factor" and "why not" - but I also paid dearly when things broke. Got blacklisted by the manufacturer, which means no authorized dealer was allowed to touch my car. I am now at a point where I recognize I never really exhaust the potential of the car as it is and I don't need that occasional thrill when pushing it harder that its faster than stock. I learned that its less than 1% of my use of the car...so, I now decided not to tune and not worry if someone is faster next to me (tuned or not, there are always faster cars around you) or no "bragging rights" at car shows - its fine for me but everybody has different things that they like and enjoy. If you want to track it and want faster times, tuning is for sure the cheapest and quickest improvement that helps shaving off some time...if that what you look for - go for it. Just don't look back.

Last edited by Tobeit; 01-22-2023 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:38 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 537 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
After hearing about John Mclane’s experience on here, and his tune wasn’t even all that aggressive, I would certainly be wary about tuning if you are worried about drivetrain warranty. Period. End of story. Don’t delude yourself.

If you don’t care about warranty then tune away.

I tuned, had fun, and sold a mere 3 months later (having removed the tune). I never had a bad experience, but of course I didn’t own a tuned car long enough for that to happen. Most of my fun with my 992 was during the period I owned it before the tune, and upon retrospect it was already more than fast enough. I am not going to knock the tuner, who made a fantastic product. But when I think about it, after the tune I really didn’t find that I was smiling any more when driving than before the tune.
Did you tell the new owner about the tune?

If they had an issue, there's a possibility the past tune might be found and the warranty might still be denied for them. If that were me and I wasn't told about the tune before buying the car, I'd likely have a lawyer make a call to the previous owner

Last edited by gthal; 01-22-2023 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:46 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Originally Posted by FamousJamisFan
I think tuning is highly, highly overrated. I think it's easy to build up this fantasy that tuners are these large conglomerates with proper testing labs, a fleet of cars available at their disposal with professionals in lab coats running all kinds of experiments to ensure your best experience.

But the reality is probably much closer to some guy with a mouth-breathing problem and a beat-up laptop with no better working knowledge of a car than those same morons on the Mustang boards talking about "putting in the sauce" in their tunes

Besides, my car is already tuned. It was done by a bunch of PhDs in Zuffenhausen . . .
It will severely affect resale value. And failing to disclose it to future purchasers is fraud if they ask, and skating close enough to get sued even if they don’t. Anyone with a lease is violating their contract and can have the lease broken. Anyone financing has issues if they damage the resale value of the car without the lien holder knowing the collateral value is significantly less than you claimed

the guys buying a TTS for the express purpose of drag racing it, and know what they’re doing, and how their car will be un-saleable afterward anyway are basically the only people who should be tuning these cars.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
drcollie (02-07-2023), FamousJamisFan (01-23-2023), SWxSec (01-23-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 08:48 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by achilleas101
I honestly wonder how many people actually get any use of a tune.

When i did my PEC delivery and had the demo laps from the pro driver, i was holding on for dear life. Never thought I'd feel like a grandma, but there i was, holding on to the armrest harder than anything I've held onto before, and using all my neck muscles to keep my head from banging around the cabin. It was in that moment that I realized i will NEVER drive this car to its full capabilities.

If you track it and are able to get all its glory out of it, i get it. But otherwise, my unsolicited advice is to take some track lessons and learn how to get all out of the car before getting a tune. Then if you still crave more, make that decision.

But like others have said, dont count on any warranty. just be prepared to drop 80k if something happens.
+1. Tuning the driver is a lot more effective
detansinn (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 08:56 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

I can;t find the video right now but a bmw influencer guy in UK got a smoking good lease deal on a new M a few years ago. Under 2% apr, incentives. He tuned the **** out of it. Some really cool upgrades. Posted on YouTube. BMW finance saw it. “So, you violated the lease terms and broke our contract. You have 30 days to pay us 100% of the cars original value. All the incentives are retroactively canceled since you broke the contract. What ? You can’t sell it at full value because you tuned it ? Not our problem. You still owe us EVERYTHING”

it’s fun until it’s not
FamousJamisFan (01-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Do any tuners offer warranty?