Sponsored by:

Driving new car home from dealer with salt on roads

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 10:13 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,274 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
Im 76 you can ask me and im not in a nursing home(yet).!
I forgot what I was supposed to ask you..... Old age is a bitch.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:25 PM
reloader-1
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 123 Posts

Maybe a bit too philosophical, but the desire for perfection increases as we get older. It’s driven by a lot of things, but one of the main factors is our increasing frailty and health, and watching much of what we had created (friendships, relationships, businesses, etc) disappear, fall apart, pass away etc.

It’s a desire of control, of that which we have no control over. Realistically, OP, you could daily drive this car in salt conditions and by the time the frame was rusted to a point that it became a mechanical issue, you’d be dead or incapable of driving.

What is the point, then? Who are you “saving” the car from, but yourself? Delayed gratification is fine, but not to the extent of forgoing your own enjoyment. It’s like the older lady who has had a couch cover all her life on a sofa - she’s never actually enjoyed what she paid for, and furniture also wears out with time. Don’t be that person, if you can help it.
The following users liked this post:
tomtomtomtom (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 05:53 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,555 Likes on 800 Posts

^ Wow, that was deep
Old 12-29-2022, 07:34 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by reloader-1
Maybe a bit too philosophical, but the desire for perfection increases as we get older. It’s driven by a lot of things, but one of the main factors is our increasing frailty and health, and watching much of what we had created (friendships, relationships, businesses, etc) disappear, fall apart, pass away etc.

It’s a desire of control, of that which we have no control over. Realistically, OP, you could daily drive this car in salt conditions and by the time the frame was rusted to a point that it became a mechanical issue, you’d be dead or incapable of driving.

What is the point, then? Who are you “saving” the car from, but yourself? Delayed gratification is fine, but not to the extent of forgoing your own enjoyment. It’s like the older lady who has had a couch cover all her life on a sofa - she’s never actually enjoyed what she paid for, and furniture also wears out with time. Don’t be that person, if you can help it.
Intellectually I agree with you, emotionally is another story. However, I realize I need to be a little looser regarding the use of this baby. Thanks for the post.

reloader-1 (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 07:45 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

You can put PPF on the car, and you can ceramic it and wash it with a foam cannon and a pressure washer and blow it dry and never touch the paint. And the car will still accumulate a scratch here or there where you might not have PPF and the PPF will get marks in it that take the place of stone chips because self healing only goes so far and when you drive it like it should be, stuff hits the front. The PPF does its job but when you detail it you will see the imperfections accumulate on the PPF where you would normally get stone chips. There is no way around it.

That said, we all get the desire to keep it looking absolutely pristine for as long as possible and no one should make you feel bad about that. But you're 74?, drive it and enjoy it and it really isn't worth worrying about. You want it today, you got it today, and whatever is on the roads will wash off. We got 8 inches of snow last night and the only reason I didn't drive mine today is that it was still too deep in the alley this morning to get it out. The drive to work and the drive home are the best part of my day. Everything else is mostly filler.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
reloader-1 (12-29-2022), tomtomtomtom (12-29-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 05:01 PM
GTTROIS
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 150 Posts

By the way, what color is your car? It does not happen to be guards red, by any chance?
Old 12-30-2022, 05:02 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 625 Likes on 404 Posts

He got Agate Gray. He started a thread after he picked it up.
Old 12-30-2022, 05:41 PM
GTTROIS
Racer

Originally Posted by PHX
He got Agate Gray. He started a thread after he picked it up.
ok cool! Will check it out, but since there happens to be a GR at my NJ dealership, I was curious.
PHX (12-30-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 06:00 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 625 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by GTTROIS
ok cool! Will check it out, but since there happens to be a GR at my NJ dealership, I was curious.
Unless he sold the Gray one back for a profit and then got a GR one all in the same day.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:12 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Its agate gray, Which dealership has the GR 911? If it is in stock it has an ADM more than likely.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:36 PM
GTTROIS
Racer

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
Its agate gray, Which dealership has the GR 911? If it is in stock it has an ADM more than likely.
No, the car is already sold, the customer just hasn’t picked it up yet.

Last edited by GTTROIS; 12-31-2022 at 12:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Driving new car home from dealer with salt on roads