Sponsored by:

Fuel Injector Recall Coming?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 11:37 AM
DButcher
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Recall Coming?

A few months ago on a road trip, I had an issue with my 992 C4S where I experienced loss of power / knocking and then a slew of check engine lights. After checking codes on the side of the road, I discovered I was getting cylinder 1 and 2 misfires. Car was towed in for service and had new injectors / fuel rail installed.

However - today I got a message from my service advisor that they have received an interesting new bulletin (attached) from PCNA. He states that they are now advised to do nothing and call PCNA immediately to send in a field rep to investigate any 992 with fuel injector problems.

Could this be the precursor to a larger recall for the 992? Thoughts? Should I contact PCNA myself knowing I had this issue?

Old 12-20-2022, 07:44 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Based on experience I think it is more likely that they have noticed these very expensive and intrusive warranty claims and want to see if a software flash will fix them like it probably has when tested in their own lab with injectors that were replaced under warranty. This almost always happens before any progression to a defect driven recall if a potential software/calibration fix exists.
Old 12-20-2022, 08:02 PM
DButcher
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Michigan 992
Based on experience I think it is more likely that they have noticed these very expensive and intrusive warranty claims and want to see if a software flash will fix them like it probably has when tested in their own lab with injectors that were replaced under warranty. This almost always happens before any progression to a defect driven recall if a potential software/calibration fix exists.
That sounds like a rock solid theory. Good thinking!
Old 12-20-2022, 08:31 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

In the past (1980's) poor detergent additive packages in gasoline caused no end of headaches for automotive manufacturers that used Port Fuel Injectors as opposed to Throttle Body Injectors or Carburetors that were in common use at that time. This ultimately caused manufacturers to identify those gasoline brands that were "acceptable" and by omission those that were unacceptable. Many Technical Service Bulletins and other means of public announcements followed.
Eventually a "Standard" additive package was accepted industry wide. Presently when this additive package is used, the gasoline retailer is allowed to state that their fuel is "Top Tier".
I wouldn't be surprised if PNA is not just interested in collecting the Fuel Injectors from an engine so afflicted with the failures noted by the OP. I would imagine that a fuel sample and an oil sample from the engine (as the vehicle arrived at the dealership) would probably be desired.
Here's a link from CR that explains this: https://www.consumerreports.org/fuel...e-a7682471234/

Last edited by Bluehighways; 12-20-2022 at 08:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pfdnorthhills (12-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Recall Coming?