pitt911
Rennlist Member

My perspective
back ground info
had 718 gt4 for a year
718 spyder for few months I just sold two weeks ago
992 C4s and currently expecting my 992 tts within couple of weeks
also had 981 spyder and a bunch of 991 variants
bottom line they are different cars but in my IMO if down to one car it has to be a 911
just feel more mature , more practical
more luxury
and more modern in particular the 992
718 is starting to look outdated in particular inside
and the inside looks and feels cheaper

Last edited by pitt911; 11-25-2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-30-2022 | 12:51 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
A 911 is a like a well tailored navy blue suit with a thread count of Super 150. Versatile and appropriate for nearly all occasions depending on how one dresses it up with accoutrements.

A GT4 is like a custom make 3-piece tweed suit with a windowpane pattern. Not exactly suitable for every occasion, but lots of character and panache.
I wear jeans and T-shirts/sweatshirts 90% of the time. Dressing up is jeans and a button down shirt (and making sure that my shirt doesn’t have stains.) And I spend $15 on jeans maybe once every 10 years.

Originally Posted by pitt911
My perspective
back ground info
had 718 gt4 for a year
718 spyder for few months I just sold two weeks ago
992 C4s and currently expecting my 992 tts within couple of weeks
also had 981 spyder and a bunch of 991 variants
bottom line they are different cars but in my IMO if down to one car it has to be a 911
just feel more mature , more practical
more luxury
and more modern in particular the 992
718 is starting to look outdated in particular inside
and the inside looks and feels cheaper

I personally don’t see how you could possibly really know what your vehicles are like if you keep them such a short time. And that makes the original question moot IMO. Which car you buy is completely irrelevant if you’re just going to trade it in less than a year.

I also think that the interior of my Spyder is far superior to the interior of my 992 GTS in every way.

But overall, the 992 certainly is more luxurious.

Last edited by Denny Swift; 11-30-2022 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-30-2022 | 01:38 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Been around 911s for a while. Of course they are great but the car that I actually look forward to drive the night before going to work is the Spyder (yes I'm commuting in it, it's fine). It's very personal. My other car now is a Panamera 4S, quite loaded (executive demo) that I need to take in replacement of my deceased 992. It's comfy, fast, luxurious, enormous and tedious to drive. Same was true to a lesser degree referring to the 992, even with track days, big brakes, akra, soul and tune. Very fast. To have fun you will be in jail speed range. The manual spyder is fun at any speed.
The best car I've driven in the last few years was the F8. Obviously very fast but with a civilized suspension (magnetic ride is great). Even then I'm not sure if it's more fun to drive than the Spyder. Faster and more efficient for sure.
This recalls the old discussion PDK vs manual. Efficiency vs fun.

If you can, have both and take turns.
Old 11-30-2022 | 01:54 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
I wear jeans and T-shirts/sweatshirts 90% of the time. Dressing up is jeans and a button down shirt (and making sure that my shirt doesn’t have stains.) And I spend $15 on jeans maybe once every 10 years.

I personally don’t see how you could possibly really know what your vehicles are like if you keep them such a short time. And that makes the original question moot IMO. Which car you buy is completely irrelevant if you’re just going to trade it in less than a year.

I also think that the interior of my Spyder is far superior to the interior of my 992 GTS in every way.

But overall, the 992 certainly is more luxurious.
Op asked a question and I gave my opinion and stated with some detail how long I keep these cars .Op can judge
I do believe my perspective on cars is relevant as I have experienced a whole bunch of cars as I tend to keep cars for a short period of time .
Old 12-02-2022 | 12:59 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pitt911
Op asked a question and I gave my opinion and stated with some detail how long I keep these cars .Op can judge
I do believe my perspective on cars is relevant as I have experienced a whole bunch of cars as I tend to keep cars for a short period of time .
Ha! No, I meant that it’s a completely different perspective. I guess irrelevant was the wrong word. Your experience is certainly relevant. My point was that if he changed cars that quickly, the OP would have already had both (and more) so he never would have asked the question.

You seem to have passionate flings with many hot cars, whereas I have long relationships with mine. No judgement, just different perspectives that would lead to different purchases and expectations. I assumed that the OP was looking for a car to have a “relationship” with.
Old 12-02-2022 | 01:08 PM
GeneTakovic
Banned

Easy choice is 911 > gt4

Quick Reply: 992 vs GT4