Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Michelin
The following users liked this post:
APEX GT3 (11-22-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 12:43 AM
Cokerrat
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Goodyears, car was produced the first week of September.
Old 11-22-2022, 12:51 AM
Greenwillie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Pirelli
APEX GT3 (11-22-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 06:51 AM
yronzff
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts

9.28.22 at dealer
P Zero with PCCBs

Old 11-22-2022, 08:13 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by Hai Blau GTS
Trying to sort out the probability of the tire brand on the incoming 992 GTS

Michellin PS4S
Pirelli P-Zero
Goodyear Eagle F1
one-third each. When they send you your production photo you will know.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:27 AM
jjaisli
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 43 Posts

Just to put my 2.5 cents in, I went on a factory tour (Zuffenhausen back in October and I paid special attention to the tires as I as curious about this as well and have long wondered how they were allocated.

It was difficult to make any accurate assessments or come to any firm conclusions because:

- Porsche actually has every version of the 911, Cayman & Boxster running on the same production line, concurrently. So you may see a 911 Targa GTS, followed by a 911 CS4 followed by a Boxster Spyder, followed by a base 911 Turbo Carbio, followed by a GT3 touring, followed by a Cayman GTS, followed by a base 911 coupe, etc. It was rare to see two of the exact same model nose to tail. And an even bigger shocker, that even the fully caged (not half caged) motorsport versions of the 911 were running on the same line.
- As such, it was difficult to draw conclusions, vs, for example, if they had a string of 25 x 911 turbo S models, nose to tail, where I could look to see if they all had the same tire.
- The tour didn't follow the production line start to finish, where I could make a mental note, and at various points, because they had prototype models running on the line, which they didn't want us to see (assuming at the time GT3 RS but who knows), we had to keep leaving our spot and duck into a stairway for 10 minutes and then came out to a different spot on line. All in all, we probably spent about 1 & 1/2 hours in the factory. So I did get to see a LOT of cars.

All that said, between looking at the cars on the line (I made a point to check the tires on every car I could), looking at the tires lined up to be mounted and looking at the automated, electric karts constantly in motion and pulling wagons of tires to the correct station, there seemed to be almost a completely random string of tires (Michellin, Goodyear & Pirelli). And it was not as if every car or even say, every CS2 for the next hour or even 30 minutes, will have, say, Pirelli tires. It was just, whatever tire was next on line. And every kart and stacked tray had a random selection of tires.

So I think getting the tires you want really and truly is just luck of the draw.
The following 2 users liked this post by jjaisli:
APEX GT3 (11-22-2022), Zakato70 (11-23-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 09:52 AM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by jjaisli
Just to put my 2.5 cents in, I went on a factory tour (Zuffenhausen back in October and I paid special attention to the tires as I as curious about this as well and have long wondered how they were allocated.

It was difficult to make any accurate assessments or come to any firm conclusions because:

- Porsche actually has every version of the 911, Cayman & Boxster running on the same production line, concurrently. So you may see a 911 Targa GTS, followed by a 911 CS4 followed by a Boxster Spyder, followed by a base 911 Turbo Carbio, followed by a GT3 touring, followed by a Cayman GTS, followed by a base 911 coupe, etc. It was rare to see two of the exact same model nose to tail. And an even bigger shocker, that even the fully caged (not half caged) motorsport versions of the 911 were running on the same line.
- As such, it was difficult to draw conclusions, vs, for example, if they had a string of 25 x 911 turbo S models, nose to tail, where I could look to see if they all had the same tire.
- The tour didn't follow the production line start to finish, where I could make a mental note, and at various points, because they had prototype models running on the line, which they didn't want us to see (assuming at the time GT3 RS but who knows), we had to keep leaving our spot and duck into a stairway for 10 minutes and then came out to a different spot on line. All in all, we probably spent about 1 & 1/2 hours in the factory. So I did get to see a LOT of cars.

All that said, between looking at the cars on the line (I made a point to check the tires on every car I could), looking at the tires lined up to be mounted and looking at the automated, electric karts constantly in motion and pulling wagons of tires to the correct station, there seemed to be almost a completely random string of tires (Michelin, Goodyear & Pirelli). And it was not as if every car or even say, every CS2 for the next hour or even 30 minutes, will have, say, Pirelli tires. It was just, whatever tire was next on line. And every kart and stacked tray had a random selection of tires.

So I think getting the tires you want really and truly is just luck of the draw.
Thanks for this... luck of the draw I suppose. What boggles my mind... is that there is such precision and customization in all things Porsche, the brand, the way you can choose exactly what you want, why not just provide the option to pick the tire in configure? I suppose it's just such a commodity add-on, the tires, and with the costs and supply changing so rapidly, best to just supply when they come in... still... it bothers me. I'm paying >150k for a car, I should get to choose what tire. I was able to choose what tire I wanted on my 2022 Dodge RAM (22in Pirelli Scorpion)
Old 11-22-2022, 01:36 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by Hai Blau GTS
Thanks for this... luck of the draw I suppose. What boggles my mind... is that there is such precision and customization in all things Porsche, the brand, the way you can choose exactly what you want, why not just provide the option to pick the tire in configure? I suppose it's just such a commodity add-on, the tires, and with the costs and supply changing so rapidly, best to just supply when they come in... still... it bothers me. I'm paying >150k for a car, I should get to choose what tire. I was able to choose what tire I wanted on my 2022 Dodge RAM (22in Pirelli Scorpion)
What other manufacturer lets you choose the tire brand?
Old 11-22-2022, 01:58 PM
woobiee
Pro

Received 970 Likes on 311 Posts

Goodyear Eagle F1
June 2022 build
Old 11-22-2022, 11:17 PM
SharkyGT4
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Pirelli’s

Pirelli’s - Delivery 11/10/2022
Old 11-23-2022, 11:00 AM
protamine
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ENCT
Thanks, I really like the PCCB's. Hopefully they are available soon, along with all the other constrained items. I hope you get your car soon.

Wow, I didnt know PCCBs were constrained. Mine went through without issue (PTS was kicked back obviously).

My config lock date was yesterday. Spec'd it in August. December build.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:06 AM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by protamine
Wow, I didnt know PCCBs were constrained. Mine went through without issue (PTS was kicked back obviously).

My config lock date was yesterday. Spec'd it in August. December build.
Perhaps your build from August had it locked in. My build from Sept didn’t have PCCB. When I tried to change it last week before my lock date, it wouldn’t get accepted.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:55 AM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
What other manufacturer lets you choose the tire brand?
Several manufacturers have options for a specific tire - for example the Z07 package on a vette always comes with Cup2s. Mercedes has, in the past and on certain AMG models specifically, allowed you to spec summer tires which were PS4S at the time. I don't know that they're worded such that they have to come with PS4S though -- I assume it's always subject to supply and they can substitute a similar tire at their discretion.

Last edited by zachr; 11-23-2022 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:43 PM
maine992
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Pirelli
Zakato70 (11-23-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 01:04 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 249 Posts

IMO, Porsche using multiple tire vendors could be nothing more than having enough suppliers to guarantee they always have tires on hand, and so they can keep the pricing competitive/honest. That's why I always had multiple Vendors for my businesses anyway.

Quick Reply: GTS Builds 2022 (Which Tire Arrived?)