Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did the aftermarket wing reduce air intake and horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 12:12 PM
MRPx
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Did the aftermarket wing reduce air intake and horsepower?

I bought the car that came with DMC carbon fiber aerokit wing, then I get it to tuner for stage 2 tuning.
Tuner said the horsepower is very low after a few run compared to another 992 C2S, because of wing is completely close the intercooler air intake vent.
After remove the wing, coding to enable Porsche Active Aero, then resume dyno test, it gains more 30-50 horsepower. As picture below.

I already asked the company about this product for a few month but haven't got any response yet. (This wing cost $4,000+)

What do you guys think? Is it related?

My aftermarket wing

I found on Youtube that OEM Aerokit should be like this

After remove the wing

Dyno results (Tuned)

Last edited by MRPx; 11-20-2022 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:22 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Pics not showing up for me.

I don’t like aftermarket wings. Porsche actually cares about the aero and performance aspects of these things and obviously have the engineering resources to optimize their design and build them reasonably light. The downside is that you pay for the privilege.

Most aftermarket wings are either heavy knock-offs of OEM, or aesthetic designs without real engineering behind them. My biased opinion anyway.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
detansinn (11-20-2022), OliverK68 (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 12:33 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MRPx
I bought the car that came with some famous germany brand aerokit wing (Not from ebay for sure) then I get it to tuner for stage 2 tuning.
Tuner said the horsepower is very low after a few run compared to another 992 C2S because of wing is completely close the intercooler air intake vent.
After remove the wing, coding to enable Porsche Active Aero, then resume dyno test, it gains more 30-50 horsepower. As picture below.

I already asked the company about this product for a few month but haven't got any response yet. (This wing cost $4,000+)

My aftermarket wing

I found on Youtube that OEM Aerokit should be like this

After remove the wing

Dyno results (Tuned)

Pic missing for you aftermarket wing.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:50 PM
MRPx
3rd Gear

Pic updated.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:51 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,067 Likes on 2,030 Posts

If your aftermarket wing doesn’t have a scoop vent like the OEM aerokit wing, of course it’s going to heat soak. Heat rises, and if there’s no vent, it’s literally baking your IAT.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

I bought the car that came with DMC carbon fiber aerokit wing, then I get it to tuner for stage 2 tuning.
Tuner said the horsepower is very low after a few run compared to another 992 C2S, because of wing is completely close the intercooler air intake vent.

Mmm, serious question my friend?

There are two types of people in the world.

Those that believe the data.

And those that ask other people if they believe the data.

Looks like you belong in the latter group.

I would try to buy a ticket to get in the former group.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 04:29 PM
MRPx
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Mmm, serious question my friend?

There are two types of people in the world.

Those that believe the data.

And those that ask other people if they believe the data.

Looks like you belong in the latter group.

I would try to buy a ticket to get in the former group.
Just not understand why they design their product like that. That vent is very important and only part for air flow.
While the product is from reliable company not a cheapy chinese wing (It costs $4-5k which is fully carbon fiber).

This makes me confused if I'm misunderstand at something.

Last edited by MRPx; 11-20-2022 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:32 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Just not understand why they design their product like that. That vent is very important and only part for air flow.
While the product is from reliable company not a cheapy chinese wing (It costs $4-5k which is fully carbon fiber).

How "reliable" is the company if they designed the wing this way? It is not always true that cost = quality.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:08 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Because most aftermarket tuners/companies are making products to sell based on cosmetics (or, for lack of a better word, for "looks" for those goobers at Cars & Coffee) and not for performance.

That's why.
Old 11-21-2022, 05:35 PM
cwbrown
Racer

Received 344 Likes on 131 Posts

Reliable....? Maybe not China but I think they're based in HK. I also think they are not making product themselves but sourcing from China and slapping labels on.
Dig a little deep into these guys...their vids always made me raise and eyebrow..
Old 11-21-2022, 05:49 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 746 Likes on 333 Posts

Oh wow, this makes me very glad I didn't pick up the DMC Aerokit replica instead. That's frankly shameful.

For what it's worth, the OEM aerokit was around $7500 to retrofit when it was all said and done. $5000 for the kit, $1700 for paint, $800 for install. A steep price, but it wouldn't have been much cheaper with the DMC knockoff and I don't worry about heat soaking with it - the opening for the intercoolers is enormous.

Last edited by zachr; 11-21-2022 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-21-2022, 05:58 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Just out of curiosity - how are dyno runs done properly on a 911? For front engine cars, hoods are open and big fans blow air...for 911, would you still put the big fans in front and assume they would simulate the cooling air flow enough over the car or stationary (like this) and aero wings?

To the OP, I would assume if the second run w/o the wing was done to proof a point they recorded the IAT temperature with and without. That should proof it one way or another. Also, I assume both runs were done with the tune but the best way to determine what is really going on would be to do runs w/o the tune.

Quick Reply: Did the aftermarket wing reduce air intake and horsepower?