Sponsored by:

Rear PORSCHE Letters

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 08:16 PM
AgsWin
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Rear PORSCHE Letters

Looking to get a 992 and the car is blacked out except the PORSCHE letters on the rear, are those easily removed and replaced, or can they be removed to be painted pretty easily and put back?
Old 11-16-2022, 08:35 PM
CO 992
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts

It might be easier to just select model badge delete and then buy a black painted replacement off suncoast for the dealer to put on.

Edit: disregard - didn’t realize it was a car already on a lot!

Last edited by CO 992; 11-16-2022 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:38 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by AgsWin
Looking to get a 992 and the car is blacked out except the PORSCHE letters on the rear, are those easily removed and replaced, or can they be removed to be painted pretty easily and put back?
I wouldnt say "Easy"... you will likely need the dealer or a detailing shop to remove some components to take that section out... you can buy the blacked out version... but they aren't like the "911" or "Carrera" badges that come off and go on easily.
To clarify, this is a car at a dealership and this is the one component you want to swap out? Id ask the dealer to do it for you as part of the deal before you take delivery of it.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:02 PM
AgsWin
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by toph4242
I wouldnt say "Easy"... you will likely need the dealer or a detailing shop to remove some components to take that section out... you can buy the blacked out version... but they aren't like the "911" or "Carrera" badges that come off and go on easily.
To clarify, this is a car at a dealership and this is the one component you want to swap out? Id ask the dealer to do it for you as part of the deal before you take delivery of it.
Yes, it is a used car at a non-porsche dealer. He has agreed to replace the sport tips to black by a Porsche dealer and replace the "Carrera 4S" to black but we haven't discussed the PORSCHE letters above it. It also has the interior trim painted in the exterior color and my wife doesn't like that so that will need to be replaced - not sure if that is something I should have him do or do it myself
Old 11-16-2022, 10:37 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AgsWin
Yes, it is a used car at a non-porsche dealer. He has agreed to replace the sport tips to black by a Porsche dealer and replace the "Carrera 4S" to black but we haven't discussed the PORSCHE letters above it. It also has the interior trim painted in the exterior color and my wife doesn't like that so that will need to be replaced - not sure if that is something I should have him do or do it myself
Okay thanks for clarifying…couple things:

my 992 exhaust pipes are built into the bumper, so likely they will be removing this in order to change them out… my understanding is that in order to swap the actual “Porsche” letters they would need to deconstruct the bumper area anyways… you might want to do it all at once so they aren’t taking your car apart multiple times. The interior trim is fairly easy to pop out with a trim remover tool so maybe worry about that after and just order from Suncoast Parts.
as long as you are comfortable with this dealer, I’d suggest letting them do the tips and all the badging at the same time
Old 11-17-2022, 07:01 AM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 145 Posts

super easy swap, did it myself in under 30 minutes:
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...UaAl0-EALw_wcB
The following users liked this post:
Master Deep (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 08:45 AM
Swayze
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 77 Posts

When they did a full PPF of my 992 they had to take off all the letters and designation and then put them back on. You couldn’t tell they ever did anything and when they talked about it, it didn’t seem like it was a big deal at all. So not sure I’d do it myself, but seems easy enough. I think I’d go the suncoast route vs painting and then call a few detail shops and get their pricing.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:12 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

I wouldn't have done this myself since I'm a perfectionist. My PPF guy did this 4 mos after I got my car since it was delivered in January and it was 20 degrees, too cold to put the Turbo S badging back on. I went badgeless for quite a while.

Old 11-17-2022, 12:09 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I wouldn't have done this myself since I'm a perfectionist. My PPF guy did this 4 mos after I got my car since it was delivered in January and it was 20 degrees, too cold to put the Turbo S badging back on. I went badgeless for quite a while.
Looks like the factory uses a template...Shmee was allowed to install his letters during the build process:

Last edited by colnagoG60; 11-17-2022 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:55 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,153 Likes on 1,467 Posts

They are not difficult to do, I have done it on four Porsches to date. However, re-using the existing Chrome letters, painting them, then attempting to get good adhesive on them afterwards is not worth the time and effort. Better to buy ones ready to go. I made my own templates from poster board, you only need one to run on the bottom edge. Where people get messed up on re-installing is they fail to realize the P O R S C H E is on a gentle curve, and they try to put them on straight. So make a tracing template BEFORE you pull the old ones off and then you have the curve.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:59 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 746 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S

Nifty PCA license plate! I'll have to check if there's a similar plate available in Georgia. Though I do like my current specialty plate...
Old 11-17-2022, 01:01 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
They are not difficult to do, I have done it on four Porsches to date. However, re-using the existing Chrome letters, painting them, then attempting to get good adhesive on them afterwards is not worth the time and effort. Better to buy ones ready to go. I made my own templates from poster board, you only need one to run on the bottom edge. Where people get messed up on re-installing is they fail to realize the P O R S C H E is on a gentle curve, and they try to put them on straight. So make a tracing template BEFORE you pull the old ones off and then you have the curve.
Are you referring to the 992 generation? The PORSCHE letters are 3D and are a trim component built into the bumper... Not the letters that were stick on to the bumper like in all previous generations. On the 992 dont you have to physically remove the trim pieces above the bumper/in the light bar area?
Old 11-17-2022, 01:04 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by acr89
super easy swap, did it myself in under 30 minutes:
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...UaAl0-EALw_wcB
Yup these! Just get these and it’s a quick swap. Then everything will be blacked out.

Quick Reply: Rear PORSCHE Letters