Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Music on USB from Voice Commands?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 10:36 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 670 Posts
Default Music on USB from Voice Commands?

Yes, I like my music on a USB. I have about 450 albums (Yes, I like listening to albums). I know that some of you will insist on telling me that I'm living in the past and that I'm an idiot, but I'll ask anyway...

Is there a convenient way to select an album by voice? I just got a 2022 Ford Bronco. In the Bronco, I can say, "Browse Talking Heads" and all my Talking Heads albums immediately are listed on the screen and I just touch the one I want to play. Then I just say, "Browse Cure" and all my Cure albums are displayed, etc. It's easy, fast, and convenient.

In the 992, I need to do it manually. But scrolling from T to C when there are 450 albums is cumbersome while driving. Is there a similarly convenient way to do this on the 992? I've had the Bronco for 152 miles and I feel that I've mastered the electronics. I've had the 992 for 6,000 miles and 6 months and the PCM is incredible frustrating. (My Spyder is extremely easy too). I only listen from 3 sources: The radio, my music on the USB, and podcasts from my phone. Yet, I just can't seem to figure out how to do that easily in the 992. It seems that I press 25 buttons and eventually fumble into what I'm looking for. After getting the Bronco, I'm thinking that maybe using voice in the Porsche is the way, but as of yet, I can't get it to work. Maybe I need to learn to speak German...

Thanks.
The following 2 users liked this post by Denny Swift:
MG997 (06-07-2023), Mikster (11-14-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 10:46 AM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 95 Posts

I listen to mp3s from usb like 99.9% of the time, so i hear ya. 😁

I don't usually use voice controls, so i cant say, but a thought is that in the media List menu you can view artists, so there may be a command that incorporates "artist".

edit: did a user manual search and these are sample commands for media. Seems like theres some commands in there that you can use.

Last edited by achilleas101; 11-13-2022 at 01:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mikey94025 (11-18-2022)
Old 02-22-2023, 07:02 PM
DaveJWY
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am also looking for help on this. WY, SD, MT, NM... lots of open roads but very poor cell service in these less populated areas. I can say "Media, USB", but that's it. I tried commands from previous PCM versions such as "list tracks" or "scroll down", but they don't work on PCM 6. No response from PCNA.
Old 06-04-2023, 02:28 PM
DaveJWY
Track Day

Originally Posted by DaveJWY
I am also looking for help on this. WY, SD, MT, NM... lots of open roads but very poor cell service in these less populated areas. I can say "Media, USB", but that's it. I tried commands from previous PCM versions such as "list tracks" or "scroll down", but they don't work on PCM 6. No response from PCNA.
Although voice commands default to searching the internet for Apple Music or Spotify, there is an option to type a search in the player and select USB as the filter. Might be a little faster than constant scrolling, but still extremely distracting to do while driving.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:10 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

I just drove 4 hours in my 22 Bronco and listened to Outlandos d' Amour, Regatta De Blanc, Zenyatta Mondatta, and Ghost in the Machine (What an amazing band! And it's just 3 guys). It's so easy by voice. I just say, "Browse Police" and all my albums are listed instantly. If I say that (or various iterations) to my 22 GTS, it just stares are me blankly. It's the same stare I get from my cat when I ask her if she loves me.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:11 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Although voice commands default to searching the internet for Apple Music or Spotify, there is an option to type a search in the player and select USB as the filter. Might be a little faster than constant scrolling, but still extremely distracting to do while driving.
Can you explain this further? Exactly which voice commands have you had luck with?
Old 06-05-2023, 12:25 AM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 187 Posts

I don't think you will be satisfied with the PCM voice support, if any exist, for your USB music files. Have you considered using CarPlay? I'm guessing that Apple Music still supports library MP3 files and Siri is going to be the most advanced voice support.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:19 PM
DaveJWY
Track Day

The only voice command that works is "Media source USB". The Connect Good to Know Manual says you can press the microphone icon on the media player and the results will be limited to the selected quick filter bar... but that doesn't work. Only manually typing the search with the quick filter set to USB works (start typing P..O..L... and it should list your Police mp3 folder). I have been playing with Apple. There was some threatened litigation when Siri would only work if connected to the internet, but they have since put more voice commands locally on the iPhone. You have to know how to phrase it correctly, such as "Play <title> by <artist>". Saying it the other way won't work. I can live with that. Prior PCM versions had "global voice commands" local to the vehicle where you could at least operate each menu with a voice command, but it seems the latest PCM really wants to send all data to the internet otherwise be denied safety features. It's frustrating because it turns your luxury sports car into a cheesy internet appliance.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:54 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Joke of the week read in this month's Panorama "Porsche creating a new IT Dept.". Never knew they had one...

siberian
The following 2 users liked this post by siberian:
jtsrenn (06-05-2023), Just J (06-23-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 05:29 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

The only voice command that works is "Media source USB". The Connect Good to Know Manual says you can press the microphone icon on the media player and the results will be limited to the selected quick filter bar... but that doesn't work. Only manually typing the search with the quick filter set to USB works (start typing P..O..L... and it should list your Police mp3 folder). I have been playing with Apple. There was some threatened litigation when Siri would only work if connected to the internet, but they have since put more voice commands locally on the iPhone. You have to know how to phrase it correctly, such as "Play <title> by <artist>". Saying it the other way won't work. I can live with that. Prior PCM versions had "global voice commands" local to the vehicle where you could at least operate each menu with a voice command, but it seems the latest PCM really wants to send all data to the internet otherwise be denied safety features. It's frustrating because it turns your luxury sports car into a cheesy internet appliance.
Thanks a bunch. I'll play around with it in the next couple of days. As of now, I only listen through my USB when my wife is in the passenger seat. She's pretty good following voice prompts! :-) (But only in relation to finding an album, and as long as I ask politely and say please and thank you).
Old 06-07-2023, 09:56 AM
DaveJWY
Track Day

I have found that turning on Lane Keep Assist is a must when using the PCM without any offline voice commands.
Old 06-23-2023, 03:40 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Coincidentally I received a survey from Porsche today specifically asking how I feel about the voice control on the 992! I didn't hold back! It actually made me pretty mad to even be asked the questions. I mean, could it be possible that Porsche is unaware (clueless) of how primitive, buggy, cumbersome, and illogical their voice command system is?

I would have much preferred an apology, an admission of ineptitude, and a promise to fix it all with the next update. Yeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt...

Old 06-23-2023, 07:29 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Well funnily in last month's Panorama, they informed us that P was creating a new IT Dept. Didn't know they had an IT Dept....

siberian
The following users liked this post:
Just J (06-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Music on USB from Voice Commands?