Sponsored by:

Q1 2023 allocations for the 922

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 04:20 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 405 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Shambler
I'm not in the auto industry, but I can confirm that chip shortages are still a thing. They are creating the biz I work for continued issues.
That said, I have seen signs that it is improving. I will save the guessing as to when for others.
Per the article below, things are improving and the chip shortage is expected "to last until early 2023, with some customers waiting several months for their chip orders". Still, does the current state of the shortage really dictate an 18 month wait for a Porsche?

https://www.power-and-beyond.com/the...f744eae1394d5/
Old 10-12-2022, 04:45 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 461 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS

I really don't see why we aren't starting to get back to those times--a 12-18 month wait for a Porsche is ridiculous, and you can't tell me that there are still major supply chain issues and labor shortages to cause this. I often wonder if the manufacturers and dealers are happy to create a false supply issue and pent up demand to improve their business model, and that this is now the car world we have to live in. I think the dealers much prefer not to have to finance a lot of inventory on a permanent basis, like the Tesla model, and be able to charge ADM to make up for lower sales.
Agreed with most of what you said except for the finance part. They love people who finance cars because they make more money from that. Anyway, I think the automakers have taken a page out of the Diamond Industry playbook. Keep the supply locked up tight, and trickle it out slow enough to keep the prices high. Been that way in the diamond business for longer than I've been alive. Fascinating how the automakers all cry about computer chips, materials and labor, and yet somehow report record profits. And we all know how having a good connection for diamonds matters a great deal in regards to quality and price. Same thing for fancy cars.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:45 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 405 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Smirnoff67
Agreed with most of what you said except for the finance part. They love people who finance cars because they make more money from that. Anyway, I think the automakers have taken a page out of the Diamond Industry playbook. Keep the supply locked up tight, and trickle it out slow enough to keep the prices high. Been that way in the diamond business for longer than I've been alive. Fascinating how the automakers all cry about computer chips, materials and labor, and yet somehow report record profits. And we all know how having a good connection for diamonds matters a great deal in regards to quality and price. Same thing for fancy cars.
Actually, what I meant was the dealer's cost to floor plan their inventory, not the customer financing a sale. It's a big cost savings to Tesla to have no cars in stock and make the customer wait for one to be built to his specs, like the current state of Porsche. I was at my dealer a week ago and they had no new cars on the showroom floor or on the lot--they did have a lot of used cars with overblown prices.
The following users liked this post:
Smirnoff67 (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 07:51 PM
Ray K.
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Smirnoff67
Fascinating how the automakers all cry about computer chips, materials and labor, and yet somehow report record profits.
The dealers are making record profits right now as well. Don't buy it when they try to tell you they are suffering too.
Smirnoff67 (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 08:23 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 461 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexCarreraS
Actually, what I meant was the dealer's cost to floor plan their inventory, not the customer financing a sale. It's a big cost savings to Tesla to have no cars in stock and make the customer wait for one to be built to his specs, like the current state of Porsche. I was at my dealer a week ago and they had no new cars on the showroom floor or on the lot--they did have a lot of used cars with overblown prices.
I see now what you meant. I'm a dope and have a damn toothache. Not sleeping much. Sorry.
HouTexCarreraS (10-13-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 11:28 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 856 Likes on 474 Posts

Porsche aside, everyone (literally) that I know has stopped buying everyday new cars - they are buying out their leases, or keeping the cars they have. Yet somehow this doesn't seem to be showing up in lower sales, the bottom should be falling out on new car sales as many people have just walked away from the new car market entirely - yet it doesn't seem to be happening.
Old 10-13-2022, 06:21 PM
MontBlanc911
Pro

Received 301 Likes on 154 Posts

if anyone gets an allocation soon please reply to this thread...just to have an idea..thanks..
Old 10-13-2022, 06:26 PM
meyecul
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by MontBlanc911
if anyone gets an allocation soon please reply to this thread...just to have an idea..thanks..
+1, Likewise. I have a demand in for a C2 and my SA is optimistic for the allocation to come through between now and Dec. Not holding my breath.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:16 PM
johny221
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MontBlanc911
I just received an allocation for a GTS that has a freeze date of late October. It was a dealer trade for another allocation. I was told they should have another allocation through the normal channels in December.
MontBlanc911 (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 07:27 PM
chocpotatoechip
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

was suppose to get a c4 but that got delayed, SA called with a C2 allocation they randomly got. he said it should be mine!
Old 10-13-2022, 07:45 PM
dudeoverthere
Pro

Received 603 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpeachS
Reply to Taxjoc: I have been on a Targa 4S waiting list at three dealers as long as you. Also no deposit and no desire to pay an ADM. Also first porsche with no relationship. I am afraid I have come to the conclusion that the waiting list concept is a fabrication. I have also come to the unfortunate realization that I will get an allocation only after: (1) all those that are willing to pay an ADM have ordered, (2) all those that have a porsche to trade where the dealer can make a spread have ordered, and (3) all those that are related, friends with or have a relationship with the dealer have ordered. When the economy or increase in production eliminates those satisfying the criteria in (1)-(3), I will suddenly get my allocation and my time "on the list" shall end.
i walked into a dealer with kids in tow driving my crap suv. sa was very polite, showed me some cars. we talked turkey about a new build and i handed over $1500 refundable. he invited me, unprompted for a morning of test drives and to look at options. i took him up on that offer. got an allocation in the timeframe he said it would take. i checked in periodically, dropped in once or twice and he was always happy to chat. when i mentioned it was taking time he said mine was the oldest demand order for that trim and i should get a slot soon. got a slot soon after and my car is currently going into production. MSRP, no relationship.

that said i talked to a couple dealers. one was oly taking orders from existing, local customers. another "put my name down" and called once saying a didn't get an allocation and tried to sell me used.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:29 PM
Scorpionk
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some dealers saying they maybe receiving new allocations this week or next week…🤷🏻‍♂️
Guess will wait and see…
balucipher (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 11:08 PM
MontBlanc911
Pro

Received 301 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpionk
Some dealers saying they maybe receiving new allocations this week or next week…🤷🏻‍♂️
Guess will wait and see…
great let's wait n see
Old 10-18-2022, 12:20 AM
cwbrown
Racer

Received 344 Likes on 131 Posts

just got a GTS allocation from a dealer in Boston, I'm in Portland OR.
Searched and waited in my own area with 4 different dealers for over a year with no luck.
Strolled into a dealer without any prior history and boom, they had one.
So many different stories about how others are getting cars, it's difficult to understand what's really happening.
I don't get it.
EZ E (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 12:40 AM
Scorpionk
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cwbrown
just got a GTS allocation from a dealer in Boston, I'm in Portland OR.
Searched and waited in my own area with 4 different dealers for over a year with no luck.
Strolled into a dealer without any prior history and boom, they had one.
So many different stories about how others are getting cars, it's difficult to understand what's really happening.
I don't get it.
Congrats. That’s awesome! Did you pay an ADM or MSRP?

Quick Reply: Q1 2023 allocations for the 922