Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 992 S really riddled with gremlins, how bad are these 992

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 12:58 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 940 Posts

I stopped taking your concerns seriously when you said you had 6 other cars. Sorry, but that is quarter of a percenter first world problems. For someone who has and goes through as many cars as you do, buy it and enjoy it or don't, the world and the internet won't really care. If you have the ability to own that many vehicles and come and go from them so frequently and are trying to split hairs over which car may be a better investment and whether a price you are considering is truly worth it or if the market is currently against you, then there is no real help for you here. You will make that decision. To jump on here with concerns that you can find are not true in endless online reviews, seems disingenuous. But what do I know.
Old 09-02-2022, 01:41 PM
Patek
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Dear 3rdpedal. That is why the forum is here to discuss things. I don't have my Dad any more to bounce the thoughts off of any more. So I turn to the guys that have been playing with Porsche 992's. Just like you, I know you can afford to buy a
Snickers chocolate bar.... but do you want to pay $42 for one. It won't make you go broke, you will still have money to go to the grocery store, 1st world problems right, we are all lucky to be on this forum, because seems many own a Porsche.
Just because you can afford something does not mean you want to over pay. you don't want to over pay for the Snicker bar. I don't want to over pay for a car. These are questions I want to bounce off other owners to see what the reality is like.
To me $168,000 is a lot of money for a Aerokit 2021 992. That is 2017 Trubo S money, or GT3. I know the ferrari market like you guys know the porsche market. So ask me if a certain ferrari is too much. I won't say "Well... there is no help for you and get another car , as you are not a human". I asked the question to get some input in a market I don't know. Why don't you go into the rare coin market, and start asking questions about if a certain grade on a coin will be better value etc. Look at Patek Philippe or Rolex.
People all the time ask this sort of question, and everyone will answer back with helpful answers as they are excited to have another person get involved in this hobby. It help to grow the brand, if the Porsche people are nice you will tend to go with a group that is friendly. Calm down, Francis. you have been ZERO help to me, and others reading you message , you gave nothing to make other people want to buy a Porsche because of your brainless answer.
Porsche says it is all about the people..... you are not helping the brand. Thank you for being a jerk to me. Don't grind me up just because I want insight into the market. You must have money to lose and think nothing about what to buy. You are very lucky.
John
The following 2 users liked this post by Patek:
Noah Fect (09-02-2022), patrickoleas (08-20-2023)
Old 09-02-2022, 02:21 PM
dknj23
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

168K for base '21 with Aerokit is too high, especially with those miles. What is the original MSRP for this? Go to Porsche finder and look across the US, you will see that pricing varies pretty significantly based on state and dealership for similar models.
Old 09-02-2022, 02:27 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by dknj23
168K for base '21 with Aerokit is too high, especially with those miles. What is the original MSRP for this? Go to Porsche finder and look across the US, you will see that pricing varies pretty significantly based on state and dealership for similar models.
title says "S"
Old 09-02-2022, 02:32 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 940 Posts

OP said it was an S not a base in one post, but a C2 not a C2S in another, so that changes it. Also, I think he is talking USD but mentioned something along the lines of the UK boards, so that might mean it is a UK right hand drive car, and their market may be different. At that point, again it is hard to know. Also, I think we got Aerokit in the latter post, but not much on what other options the car has or does not. I believe I saw manual, so more rare, slight premium there. Hard to make a call on overpay or not without more information.
Old 09-02-2022, 02:55 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,606 Likes on 1,227 Posts

As for my 2021 C2S, yes IMHO it has had far more “issues” than a car at this price point should. Interior Squeaks and Rattles, Extended range gas tank noise above 3/4 tank, “M” light intermittently inop, However I’ve not had any issues with my: mirrors, the ACC is great in L.A. traffic, no motor Mount problems, I have the 18 way seats with air cooling so no sagging problems in 10K miles, etc. Who and how knowledgeable your servicing dealer is can have a huge impact on one’s experience. While it shouldn’t be this way, once my three issues were resolved I’ve had no complaints at all. The gas tank and the “M” light issues are well known to Porsche and once I found a good dealer they were taken care of promptly. The interior noises were cured when I discovered a “special” grease manufactured by a subsidiary of DuPont called “Krytox” Part Number “D10070331 (GPL206). A 0.5 Oz tube is close to $30 on Amazon. But it takes very little and it works perfectly without staining the leather or any other interior bits.
My only design complaint is that the shoulder seat belt anchor point is fixed and not adjustable. I’ve had to put one of those sheepskin style covers on the belt to keep it from annoying my neck. (6’0” / 32” inseam)

Last edited by Bluehighways; 09-02-2022 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-02-2022, 03:00 PM
67SSWT
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

You talkin Gremlins?
When in doubt , don't
The following 3 users liked this post by 67SSWT:
chance6 (09-03-2022), jtsrenn (09-02-2022), patrickoleas (08-19-2023)
Old 09-02-2022, 03:12 PM
politeperson
Racer

Received 475 Likes on 145 Posts

40,000 miles, no problems.
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (09-03-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 03:42 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,251 Likes on 630 Posts

The internet complaints about 992 have been very minor compared to other new model releases.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:02 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

With the caveat that the more that I drive the car (daily) the less all of this matters to me. The biggest flaw with my 911 was that I was being too gentle with it.

C2S, Dec 2019 Build

Things I live with:
very minor rattles - some come/go - cabin noise at speed and music drown them out
seat-back latches are hard to use - but once you know the trick (push and pull) then it's easy
exterior door handles (which on mine do not open when approached) are a little wonky - but knowing how to use works 100% of time
engine/transmission resonance at 1500 rpm - I just avoid it as as possible

random dash lights every 3-6 months - almost all of which I can equate to times when I know the battery was stressed (after having a new windshield)

Things I've fixed:
(non-extended) gas tank creaking noise when > 50% full - fixed by dealer as a known issue on 992.1s and 991.x's.

chipped windshield/flat tire from pothole - but not the cars fault....
Old 09-02-2022, 04:11 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by mferris
Things I live with:
very minor rattles - some come/go - cabin noise at speed and music drown them out
seat-back latches are hard to use - but once you know the trick (push and pull) then it's easy
exterior door handles (which on mine do not open when approached) are a little wonky - but knowing how to use works 100% of time
engine/transmission resonance at 1500 rpm - I just avoid it as as possible

I have a 2019 Build/2020 Model too and have mostly the same observations even including the ominous resonance - and my solutions are the same. My comfort access has almost become a game "it loves me, it loves me not..." ;-)
Old 09-02-2022, 04:55 PM
Patek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
As for my 2021 C2S, yes IMHO it has had far more “issues” than a car at this price point should. Interior Squeaks and Rattles, Extended range gas tank noise above 3/4 tank, “M” light intermittently inop, However I’ve not had any issues with my: mirrors, the ACC is great in L.A. traffic, no motor Mount problems, I have the 18 way seats with air cooling so no sagging problems in 10K miles, etc. Who and how knowledgeable your servicing dealer is can have a huge impact on one’s experience. While it shouldn’t be this way, once my three issues were resolved I’ve had no complaints at all. The gas tank and the “M” light issues are well known to Porsche and once I found a good dealer they were taken care of promptly. The interior noises were cured when I discovered a “special” grease manufactured by a subsidiary of DuPont called “Krytox” Part Number “D10070331 (GPL206). A 0.5 Oz tube is close to $30 on Amazon. But it takes very little and it works perfectly without staining the leather or any other interior bits.
My only design complaint is that the shoulder seat belt anchor point is fixed and not adjustable. I’ve had to put one of those sheepskin style covers on the belt to keep it from annoying my neck. (6’0” / 32” inseam)
Ok thanks I didn't know how well these 992 were received. It is the small stuff that can trip you up. It is a Carrera 2S.
John
Old 09-02-2022, 04:57 PM
Patek
Rennlist Member

Yes the MSRP was about $154,000 it sold on bring a trailer for $144,000 in October last year.
Thanks
John

Old 09-02-2022, 05:00 PM
Patek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
OP said it was an S not a base in one post, but a C2 not a C2S in another, so that changes it. Also, I think he is talking USD but mentioned something along the lines of the UK boards, so that might mean it is a UK right hand drive car, and their market may be different. At that point, again it is hard to know. Also, I think we got Aerokit in the latter post, but not much on what other options the car has or does not. I believe I saw manual, so more rare, slight premium there. Hard to make a call on overpay or not without more information.
This is totally loaded , chrono package, aerokit, PDK, in America not UK. The British chatroom had 7 pages of woes about the car. I just didn't know not to ask a question and read the results. Then I wanted to ask everyone on here.
So that it is. White inside. you can see the thing on Autotrader or Carguru. Atlanta .... the Hennessy Mini at Mall of Ga bought it somewhere to resale. I just told them too much mileage. Python Green,
Old 09-02-2022, 06:44 PM
992.Turbo.S
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 86 Posts

I had the exact same concern and have read the same threads about the build quality and rattles of the 992.

My first 911 is a 991.2 2018 GTS that I bought new and have had only one issue with the water pump failure at 12k kms. otherwise the car is perfect with zero rattles or “gremlins”. I am so happy with it that I even questioned upgrading to the 992 TTS that is ordered, locked and waiting production.

So, then I did a thread search on the 991 and 991.2 and found the same type of complaints of issues, rattles and gremlins when they first launched, this helped to put my mind at ease about the 992 build quality even though I am still a little concerned because of all the current production challenges that all car manufacturers are facing.

Don’t know if this helps your confidence with the 992 but it did help mine.

The following users liked this post:
Patek (09-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Is the 992 S really riddled with gremlins, how bad are these 992