Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base build advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 10:52 AM
brainzito
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 118 Posts

A 911 is not a comfortable car to take kids with you, I've done it and it's ok for an every now and then type of ride, but not that great as a daily "take your kids to school" kinda car. 4 ways are exceptionally good, but I'd rather have the memory function.
A no sunroof, no premium package car will make it significantly less appealing for those looking for a preowned car. So unless you're planning to keep the car until the wheels fall off, do think of that. Most here will tell you "buy it for you, not the next owner..." I don't subscribe to that idea. Eventually most of us sell our cars, right?

In summary: I'd add premium pack, sunroof and change seats to 4 ways. Agree on leaving Spyder wheels in grey, they kinda disappear when painted black. Delete power steering plus (total waste of $).

My $0.02
Old 08-21-2022, 11:09 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by CO 992
Based in the Denver area.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Surprised the premium pack was mentioned several times. As a mostly point A to point A car for me and not a DD I had no considered it.
Contact you local PCA chapter to see if they can line you up with any members with 992s in 14 and 18 way seats. I've had both and my wife and I prefer the 18s.
Premium package desirable.
Sunroof delete will not hurt resale value IMO since "slick tops" are a bit rare.
Old 08-21-2022, 11:19 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

As many said seats are a very personal choice. I would personally spec the 18’s on a new car. I am 6’3” and find 14’s comfy but would like bigger bolsters on bottom part.
Sunroof - as you see controversial. I am in Florida and no issue with “blazing sun” through it -it’s tinted, has UV protection and a shade…but what I like it gives me apparently more headroom than cars w/o it. And I like that. Also makes the interior brighter with shade retracted.
I do agree with adding the leather package. Should be in all cars. It also makes the seat l feel better, softer. I would save in something else if needed.
Premium package - I would get it just for the PDLS+.
In general - think what options you really want and can not upgrade later! Some, like wheels and exhaust, you can do later if you wish and probably can get better options than OEM.
Old 08-21-2022, 12:54 PM
Carrera3:16
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 41 Posts

I hardly ever open my sunroof...but the natural lighting was the main reason I got it. When I do open the sunroof it's really just the button that cracks it open so you get some fresh air assuming you don't want to roll down the windows for whatever reason.

I also think the glass sunroof has an awesome look to it when looking at the car from the outside.
The following users liked this post:
BadlyDrawnBoy (08-21-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 02:07 PM
kim9701
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 104 Posts

If you live in a colder area, wouldn't you want a heated steering wheel for a little more money?
Also, I think going with at least the Standard Leather (since Black is a color option) should be a strong consideration. I think this is "worth" more than the $990 designer rear brake light.
Old 08-21-2022, 03:05 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera3:16
I hardly ever open my sunroof...but the natural lighting was the main reason I got it. When I do open the sunroof it's really just the button that cracks it open so you get some fresh air assuming you don't want to roll down the windows for whatever reason.

I also think the glass sunroof has an awesome look to it when looking at the car from the outside.
Originally Posted by kim9701
If you live in a colder area, wouldn't you want a heated steering wheel for a little more money?
Also, I think going with at least the Standard Leather (since Black is a color option) should be a strong consideration. I think this is "worth" more than the $990 designer rear brake light.
+1 …and you can upgrade the lights later for the same price at suncoast
Old 08-21-2022, 04:08 PM
politeperson
Racer

Received 475 Likes on 145 Posts

I realise my opinions are unique here, however-

Dont buy any options whatsoever, except chose your color. The 992 is a classic design as it comes from the factory, it needs nothing adding.

Build the car as lightweight as possible.

No matter what you add to a 911, it will never be a luxury car. It is not supposed to be a luxury car. I let my wife drive our luxury car. The 911 is a sports car and all the better for it, so don't try paddling against the stream by adding expensive tat.

I have 40,000 miles on standard 4 way seats and take kids and "big kids" in the back regularly. They are great. I have done over 700 miles in a day no problem. What more could I want from a seat? No one else drives my car, so I do not want memory seats or heavy electric motors in them.

Sports Chrono is another gimmick. Twiddling **** is not cool. If you want the car to go, just press the pedal to the floor hard, or chuck it into a corner to generate some lateral G. It changes mode automatically anyway, depending on your driving style.

The base car is super quick as it is, almost too much for the road, so stick with that. I get just over 3.5 second to 60 mph without Sports Chrono.

The stereo upgrades are very expensive and pretty pointless considering the large amount of tire noise that enters the cabin from the rear wheels. So whats the point? You would be better off with headphones.

The "Sports Exhaust" is another super expensive option that adds about nothing as well. No more HP. The standard system is superb and perfectly tunes to the characteristics of the car. The standard system is quite loud enough, any more would be embarrassing.

The standard 19/20 inch base tires are huge. With those at least you get a bit of air between you and the potholes.

Options do not effect the resale value, just your wallet.

So, that is my advice. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by politeperson:
bingjeep (08-25-2022), russm535il (08-24-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 05:20 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,061 Likes on 2,029 Posts

I don't know the polite person above me, but unless you just want to be seen in the body of a 911, do not heed to their advice.
The following 4 users liked this post by shrimp money:
CO 992 (08-21-2022), dixonk (08-21-2022), rgoldm2 (08-21-2022), Staffie Guy (08-23-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 05:39 PM
brainzito
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I don't know the polite person above me, but unless you just want to be seen in the body of a 911, do not heed to their advice.
100%. What he said.
The following 3 users liked this post by brainzito:
CO 992 (08-21-2022), rgoldm2 (08-21-2022), Staffie Guy (08-22-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 09:46 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by CO 992
Lock date is in just over two weeks and I am bouncing between a few options. Originally I was targeting 125k. I’ve seen lots of GTS build help threads but not many C2 threads so here goes. This is my latest build

http://www.porsche-code.com/PPCIZ7W1

and I need advice specifically on:

1. 14 ways vs 18 way vs 4 way. I have a bad lower back so I need lumbar which is why I struck the 4 ways. However I do have small children that will ride in back. The manual slide does seem like it would benefit in that area. For a base that won’t see the track, is it worth the extra 1500 for 18s? Are the 992 4 ways any better than the 991s?

2. sunroof. Everyone seems to say the glass sunroof for resale. I have two other cars with sunroofs and I have literally never opened them. I have skin cancer in my close family so I try to reduce UV exposure as much as I can anyway. I’m leaning toward no sunroof. I also think it looks better.

other than that - anything obvious I am missing? While not speccing totally for the next guy, I do want to keep ease of sale somewhere in mind.
Seats: everyone is different, you need to find a way try them and see what suits you. The kids thing can't be discounted though once they get past 8-10 years old the rear seats are pretty useless anyway.
Sunroof: makes no difference in resale but again buy what you want. You'll get a bunch of comments about weight, sports cars don't have them etc. But the way Porsche build these cars all have the same structure regardless of what's up top and if you wanted to keep weight down you'd not be getting a non-GT 992 anyway. The difference is so small it's unnoticeable.

Last edited by aggie57; 08-21-2022 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2022, 09:51 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by politeperson
I realise my opinions are unique here, however-

Dont buy any options whatsoever, except chose your color. The 992 is a classic design as it comes from the factory, it needs nothing adding.

Build the car as lightweight as possible.

No matter what you add to a 911, it will never be a luxury car. It is not supposed to be a luxury car. I let my wife drive our luxury car. The 911 is a sports car and all the better for it, so don't try paddling against the stream by adding expensive tat.

I have 40,000 miles on standard 4 way seats and take kids and "big kids" in the back regularly. They are great. I have done over 700 miles in a day no problem. What more could I want from a seat? No one else drives my car, so I do not want memory seats or heavy electric motors in them.

Sports Chrono is another gimmick. Twiddling **** is not cool. If you want the car to go, just press the pedal to the floor hard, or chuck it into a corner to generate some lateral G. It changes mode automatically anyway, depending on your driving style.

The base car is super quick as it is, almost too much for the road, so stick with that. I get just over 3.5 second to 60 mph without Sports Chrono.

The stereo upgrades are very expensive and pretty pointless considering the large amount of tire noise that enters the cabin from the rear wheels. So whats the point? You would be better off with headphones.

The "Sports Exhaust" is another super expensive option that adds about nothing as well. No more HP. The standard system is superb and perfectly tunes to the characteristics of the car. The standard system is quite loud enough, any more would be embarrassing.

The standard 19/20 inch base tires are huge. With those at least you get a bit of air between you and the potholes.

Options do not effect the resale value, just your wallet.

So, that is my advice. Good luck.
I like this philosophy. A few options is fine but none of them really change how the car drives. Once you've had it a few months and done a few thousand miles this makes more sense. When you're spending hours playing with the configurator it doesn't.
Old 08-23-2022, 05:41 PM
3RsInCarrera
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 69 Posts

I have a 2020 base built to order. Here’s a pic of my sticker and the options I selected.

The imaginary budget I put in my head was $115k, because at that price (then), I could get a manual S (albeit stripped, but that was my flawed rationale at the time).

I have over 12k miles on the car at this time. Here are my recommendations.

Spec the car for yourself, not the next owner. You have no idea what will actually happen in the future concerning its value. I bought mine 5% below sticker and could have sold it two years later for sticker. Who could have predicted that?

Drive and enjoy the car, don’t save it for the next owner.

Stretch your budget. Then stretch it again. You won’t miss the money you spent, but you will miss a few features.

Order the color you like, not the one that will re-sell. In the words of Nick Murray, it’s a special car—it should be a special color.

Get the wheels you want. Aftermarket wheels (and tires if you’re changing from the base wheels) are more expensive than what you’re paying for the upgrade. And wheels make the car, so splurge here imo.

If you want a sunroof, get it. Otherwise don’t.

If I changed one thing on my build, it would be to get the black leather interior with chalk stitching. I went with the standard interior and it’s alright, but the leather with deviated stitching would be worth it to me in hindsight. Over $8k for leather and stretching though….maybe not. Probably so.

Concerning sport chrono, it’s probably not worth the money for the actual use I get out of it, but I like having it. It’s not rational—more emotional.

Concerning the premium package, follow the advice already given—price out the options you’d want in the package to determine if you’re paying for stuff you don’t want. I like the Bose system and the ACC and the seat ventilation and remote access and PDLS+ that was in mine. I hate the LKA, but I didn’t know that before I ordered it, so the package made sense to me.

I like the GT wheel. It looks and feels nice to me. Money well spent imo.

I got the Sports Seats Plus (4-way). Probably a re-sale mistake. I had a BMW at the time that had like-21 way seats or something like that and I honestly couldn’t tell if manipulating the seats in so many ways actually felt better or worse. Far too many variables for my liking. Kind of like going to the optometrist, “this better or worse?” I had no idea! The 4-ways suit me fine, but I am fairly average height/weight with no back problems, so….

I should have gotten the Porsche crest on headrest. Cheap fun!

I stayed with the base exhaust because a video I watched that compared the two said there was no meaningful difference. Turns out, those cars were European with the particulate filters, not US spec without. Probably should have gotten sports exhaust, but I thought I would aftermarket upgrade anyway, so the video helped me rationalize, but 2 years later, I’d rather have the sports exhaust than $3k more in my bank account, but so be it. Probably also a resale mistake, but buying a base instead of an S is a resale mistake to begin with, so…..

Hope this helps!
The following 5 users liked this post by 3RsInCarrera:
bingjeep (08-24-2022), CO 992 (08-24-2022), cota.kitty (08-24-2022), shrimp money (08-23-2022), Staffie Guy (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 06:17 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

I like the car but there are a few things :

1) Get premium package plus

2) I like the 18 way but sit in them yourself . There snug feel is not as dramatic as the buckets yet not feels like a sports car . No seat is bad so that's the good part .

3) Delete power steering plus . Its ridiculous . I can go into detail of why but just save the money .

4) I normally love the satin black RS wheels but not on Gentian . I normally would not pick Carrera classic but on Gentian I would . Black just doesn't go well on that shade of blue even though it looks great on the configurator . Just my .02 .
Old 08-23-2022, 10:13 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,061 Likes on 2,029 Posts

I agree, black satin or gloss wheels don’t look right with Gentian.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:14 PM
KSG1965
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

The build looks good.

I have 14 way seats. They have little less side support and I liked them better then the 18 way. I would only get the 18 way seats if you track.

Ditch the sunroof, if you want sun get a Targa or a Cab

Quick Reply: Base build advice