Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered a coupe despite my love of openair driving.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 11:51 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
If you prefer top down driving like I do, you will regret this decision

Its not about how it looks. Porsches already don’t look all that special or exotic. It’s about how you feel when you drive it.

I loved driving mine top down. Nothing beat that for me
You unfortunately make a valid point, and the last thing I need is a good argument for a convertible.......

I am still sticking with my "hate the hump look", can enjoy my Burmester better in a coupe as I love listening to music while driving, coupe is the classic 911 look rationale.....

Old 08-21-2022, 01:52 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

^ To each their own. If you want to hear music when you drive, then do so.

But in my 992, and my current convertible, the only thing I ever really wanted to hear was the engine right behind me. And with the top down, there is nothing out there that comes close to that sound
The following 2 users liked this post by Tupper:
German1967 (08-21-2022), OliverK68 (08-21-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 04:11 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

MT has a breakdown of the differences between the two in 2019:

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ble-different/

- Price: The Cab is about $12K more than the Coupe

- Looks:
These things are subjective, but I've always hated the way convertible 911s look. Convertibles don't look right to me when the rear of the car is higher than the front, and the 911 Cab might be the worst offender. Not only does its rear end sit higher than the base of the windshield, the 992 cabriolet adds wider hips and considerable visual bulk under its full-width rear taillight.”

- Headroom:
Even at 6-foot-1, I had plenty of space above my head in the coupe, but no car with a roof can beat the 93 million miles of headroom you get in a drop-top.”

- Weight:
“Convertibles are typically heavier than their slick-top counterparts. It's not only because of a (usually) powered folding mechanism, but because when you remove a car's roof, it requires additional chassis bracing to replicate the structural rigidity a roof would provide. The 911 is no different—the cabriolet tips the scales at 3,472 pounds, according to Porsche. That means it carries an extra 154 pounds compared wiht an identical coupe. And keep in mind, all that weight is up high, which raises the car's center of gravity and adversely affects handling.”

- Smell: humorous 😂
Out in the rural farmlands of Germany, perhaps the most noticeable difference in driving these two cars was the smell. You see, there are a lot of cows and a lot of sheep south of Stuttgart. Driving the cabriolet, there was a certain … let's say barn-like smell that I didn't notice behind the wheel of the coupe. This won't be a problem for most buyers. That being said, if you live in an area with a lot of animal husbandry or your commute passes through the mushroom capital of the world in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania (mushroom farms smell like poo), a 911 with a fixed roof might be a better choice.”

- Efficiency:
“If eking out the last fraction of a mile from every drop of fuel is your jam, the coupe is the way to go. The EPA hasn't published its findings yet, but based on the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC), the Cabriolet takes a slight hit in terms of fuel economy. How slight? After converting Porsche's numbers from liters per kilometer to miles per gallon, the coupe delivers 26.14 mpg and the cabriolet manages 25.57 mpg. But these cars have the same engine and transmission, don't they? What gives? We attribute the slight disadvantage in efficiency to increased weight and compromised aerodynamics.”

- Sound:
You know how sometimes you'll put the windows down so you can hear your car scream through a tunnel? Driving a 911 Cabriolet with the top down is sort of like that, but a lot better. And especially with the optional sport exhaust, the Carrera's 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged flat-six makes one hell of a sound. Wind noise is up compared with the coupe, but that's to be expected.”

- Speed & Acceleration:
For the same reasons the 911 cabriolet is a touch less efficient than the fixed-roof coupe (extra weight and compromised aerodynamics), the coupe is a bit faster at top speed and a sniff quicker to accelerate. According to Porsche, the coupe will hit 182 mph but the convertible tops out at "just" 180 mph. In the race to 60 mph, the coupe edges out the cabriolet by 0.2 second. The Carrera will hit 60 in 4.0 seconds compared to the cabbie's 4.2 seconds. Adding the Sport Chrono pack to either car drops its 0-60 time by 0.2 second.”

Personally, if I was going for the “open” feel (but I have no interest), I would definitely go the Targa route. Hands down.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-21-2022 at 04:16 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
Bluehighways (08-22-2022), Gables (08-21-2022), Staffie Guy (08-21-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 01:19 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 434 Posts

I

I agree that the coupe looks better. But when I’m driving with the top down, I don’t care. 20-50mph feels like an event. I’m averaging 8,000 miles a year driving 3 days a week and I still can’t get enough of the exhaust sound and pops/burbles/crackles/turbo spooling sound with the top down.

The only annoying thing is rain pouring into the cabin when I have to open the window.

Last edited by Master Deep; 08-22-2022 at 01:21 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Master Deep:
Staffie Guy (08-22-2022), tourenwagen (08-22-2022), Tupper (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 09:55 AM
lastsun
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

I would trade you my 2023 992 cab allocation for your c2s if possible
Old 08-22-2022, 10:54 AM
Macsalad
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here in southern cali, I couldn’t get a 911 that is not a cab. And after a while, I got used to the big butt and I like it.
The following users liked this post:
Patriot (09-08-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 11:00 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Funny that the Motor Trend article author mentions the mushroom farms of S.E. Chester County PA. I grew up in that area in the late 60's and 70's. Oh yes, while you do want to avoid the vicinity around any mushroom houses, that industry has all but disappeared today. I believe it has moved to Taiwan if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 08-22-2022 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-22-2022, 11:17 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

I have owned convertibles, and a Carrera 3.2 Targa as a daily driver, and never grew fond of the sun beating down on my head, or my hair getting messed up.
Targa was much noisier than the contemporary coupe, although I did like the styling.
A 911 as a convertible never made sense to me. Why do you want to drive fast in a car with no roof? So noisy. So windblown.
My wife has a 2004 Lexus SC 430, two door retractable-hardtop convertible, which is not a sports car. Even though this car is eighteen years old, it looks, runs and drives like new.
For less than the difference between the C2S coupe we bought, and the Targa we could have had, we can keep the Lexus for those infrequent, leisurely drives on summer and fall evenings with the top down. Excise tax/registration on it is only $70 to boot.
Old 08-22-2022, 11:24 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

RE: “and never grew fond of the sun beating down on my head,…”

Ditto.

The wind and noise, or even getting chilly on Fall days, never bothered me that much, but a baking sun on the head and face just never made it enjoyable for me. As someone who’s already had skin cancer on my neck and face (maybe a latent effect from all the beach time I spent in my youth on the SoCal beaches?)…I’m of the age that I’m not looking for more ways to get it again. To each their own.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
aggie57 (08-22-2022), Mark S (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 11:42 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

I have owned convertibles, and a Carrera 3.2 Targa as a daily driver, and never grew fond of the sun beating down on my head, or my hair getting messed up.
Targa was much noisier than the contemporary coupe, although I did like the styling.
A 911 as a convertible never made sense to me. Why do you want to drive fast in a car with no roof? So noisy. So windblown.
My wife has a 2004 Lexus SC 430, two door retractable-hardtop convertible, which is not a sports car. Even though this car is eighteen years old, it looks, runs and drives like new.
For less than the difference between the C2S coupe we bought, and the Targa we could have had, we can keep the Lexus for those infrequent, leisurely drives on summer and fall evenings with the top down. Excise tax/registration on it is only $70 to boot.

Old 08-22-2022, 12:31 PM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,319 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I agree with you but... I'm just going to leave these here...

Not my car. I have a GR coupe but I think this cab looks outstanding!

Thanks for posting! That's my car

I wanted a convertible as I'd never had one before and I am now a believer. Its a great driving experience even up to lock-me-up speeds.

I was also concerned about the lines, however the 992 pulls off the convertible shape better than any generation before IMO. That's one of the reasons I went with black. With the top up it almost looks like a coupe.
The following 2 users liked this post by tourenwagen:
AlterZgo (08-22-2022), Carolina1 (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 12:51 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Appearance-wise, the targa is best open top option. For driving dynamics, the cab is the better offering. Targa is much more top heavy than the cab, so much so that they don't offer it with the 10mm lower SPASM option.

As my first convertible (other than Jeep CJ a lifetime ago), I am thoroughly enjoying the open top experience; the noises, the wind in your hair, the appearance -- love it. I don't see going back to a coupe. Those of you that are suggesting the sunroof as an alternative -- it's not even close. I had a sunroof on my 991.2. I used it occasionally. It's nothing like the top down on the cab.

The only thing I kinda miss from my 991.2 is the PDK.
The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 02:05 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Appearance-wise, the targa is best open top option. For driving dynamics, the cab is the better offering. Targa is much more top heavy than the cab, so much so that they don't offer it with the 10mm lower SPASM option.

As my first convertible (other than Jeep CJ a lifetime ago), I am thoroughly enjoying the open top experience; the noises, the wind in your hair, the appearance -- love it. I don't see going back to a coupe. Those of you that are suggesting the sunroof as an alternative -- it's not even close. I had a sunroof on my 991.2. I used it occasionally. It's nothing like the top down on the cab.

The only thing I kinda miss from my 991.2 is the PDK.
As much as I like my sunroof I agree, a sunroof does not match the full convertible in terms of the open air experience. But living here in SoCal with such high levels of UV over long periods it confounds me why so many people insist on having their roofs down middle of the day. Just asking for trouble.
Old 08-22-2022, 05:39 PM
Carolina1
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tourenwagen
Thanks for posting! That's my car

I wanted a convertible as I'd never had one before and I am now a believer. Its a great driving experience even up to lock-me-up speeds.

I was also concerned about the lines, however the 992 pulls off the convertible shape better than any generation before IMO. That's one of the reasons I went with black. With the top up it almost looks like a coupe.
I agree!!! I think the car looks amazing with the top up. I will say, I think Black has a lot to do with this, the color flows better, nothing breaking it up, I.E black mirrors on a green/red car or even a blk roof on a gray car. I am not saying those colors are bad but i think the flow of black on blk hides some of the VERY few flaws. Loving my Cab after just the first few days of ownership
The following 2 users liked this post by Carolina1:
drcollie (08-22-2022), tourenwagen (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 05:51 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

I know! Look how terrible this looks from the rear (sarcasm).

I have owned (3) 911 Coupes and (3) Cabriolets. When I was doing a lot of Instructing and Track Driving - always coupes because 'verts suck at the track. Now that I'm in my late 60's, I don't track my Porsches any more, and the cab is it for me. It's much like my Harley Road Glide but I can take my wife and she enjoys it (she does not like the motorcycle).

I'm kind of fascinated that appearances seem to matter to so many "How do I look going down the road?". That never entered into it for me, its which body style works for me on a given application. But to each his own. If you REALLY care about looks, you'll turn more heads with an Aston Martin or Ferrari, by far.

\

The following 3 users liked this post by drcollie:
Carolina1 (08-22-2022), OliverK68 (08-22-2022), tourenwagen (08-23-2022)

Quick Reply: Ordered a coupe despite my love of openair driving.