Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 07:44 PM
Vivienne
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a similar noise from my gts. Ended up being the grounding bolt on the steering column. Must have not tightened it when putting on the trickle charger cables. Once I really tightened it, the sound went away.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:18 AM
pbar
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buckman1
I would suggest finding a speed bump and driving the car over it at different speeds until it can be recreated also download and app to your phone so that the noise can be recorded in regards to returning the car I wouldn’t because this is exactly what they mite me trying to make you do I would also suggest you take it to a different dealership my noise was fixed they never really told me what they did however I think if you can recreate the noise and also record it they should be able to fix it
I have what I think is the same problem -- manifests as a loud click/knock noise when going over a bump or turning into an entranceway with a ramp. The dealership has spent over 40hrs looking for the problem with no luck - they have done the fuel tank fix, swapped out the center-lock hubs and several other things.

Do you have any idea what was done to fix yours?
Old 12-15-2023, 06:10 PM
buckman1
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front End Noise 2022 992 GTS

The dealership that fixed the front end noise was Porsche Centre North Toronto hopefully they can get you sorted.

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
pbar (12-15-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 08:29 AM
P-Car Newbie
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

For those experiencing this front-end knock- type noise while hitting bumps or potholes, any correlation between GTS and 4GTS? I had a 4GTS that I recently traded in because of a similar noise that my dealer could not fix after repeated attempts.
Old 12-17-2023, 10:21 AM
scornwel
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This car had what sounds like the same issue.

https://www.autobahnporsche.com/inve...b2a9xps220316/

Here's the remedy

Autobahn Porsche

(817)-969-0304

2815 White Settlement Rd

Fort Worth, TX 76107
CERTIFIED PREOWNED 2023 PORSCHE 911

8,259 MILES

VIN: WP0AB2A9XPS220316
BODY TYPE: CAR
STK#: PS220316
DRIVETRAIN: AWD
ENGINE: UNAVAILABLE

CLIENT REQUEST PERFORM 10K MILES PSMP
SUSPENSIONS
TEST DROVE VEHICLE AT SPEEDS OF AROUND 30-45MPH ON BUMPY AND UNEVEN ROAD SURFACES AND FOUND A CRUNCHING/CLUNKING NOISE TO BE COMING FROM THE RIGHT FRONT SIDE OF THE VEHICLE. INSPECTED THE RIGHT FRONT SIDE OF THE VEHICLE FOR VISUAL DEFECTS. FOUND THE RIGHT FRONT STRUT BOLT TO THE WHEEL KNUCKLE IS INSUFFICIENTLY TIGHTENED CAUSING AN AUDIBLE NOISE BETWEEN THE STRUT AND THE WHEEL KNUCKLE WHILE GOING OVER ROUGH ROAD SURFACES. TIGHTENED THE BOLT TO PORSCHE SPECIFICATIONS AND ROAD TESTED VEHICLE. NOISE IS NO LONGER PRESENT WHILE DRIVING ON ROUGH OR UNEVEN ROAD SURFACES. AFTER CLIENT WENT ON A ROAD TEST WITH TECHNICIAN FOUND A VERY INTERMITTENT CLUNKING NOISE OCCURRING AT HIGHER SPEEDS ON VERY ABRUPT BUMPS AND UNDULATIONS. FOUND THE LEFT SIDE UPPER TANK FLANGE IS OUT OF PLACE, IN ORDER TO RULE OUT THE TANK MAKING NOISE AGAINST THE BODY, LOWERED THE TANK ENOUGH TO INSTALL A NEW TANK PAD AT THE LEFT UPPER SIDE. ROAD TESTED VEHICLE AND NOISE IS STILL PRESENT. SET UP VEHICLE WITH THE NVH TOOLS TO ATTEMPT TO PIN POINT THE CAUSE OF THE NOISE. ROAD TESTED VEHICLE SEVERAL TIMES WITH VARIOUS PLACEMENTS OF THE NVH TOOL PICK-UPS AND WAS UNABLE TO RECEIVE A DISCERNABLE SIGNAL TO PIN POINT THE NOISE DUE TO THE VERY ABRUPT NATURE IN HOW THE NOISE OCCURS. CLIENT HAS REQUESTED BUY-BACK AND DIAG HAS BEEN STOPPED. REINSTALLED FRONT COWL AND WIPER LINKAGES. REINSTALLED ALL UNDERBODY PANELS. VEHICLE HAS BEEN DELIVERED BACK TO CLIENT.

CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A SUSPENSION KNOCKING NOISE HEARD WHILE DRIVING OVER BUMPS AND ROUGH ROADS I/A.

Old 12-17-2023, 12:43 PM
pbar
AutoX

Originally Posted by P-Car Newbie
For those experiencing this front-end knock- type noise while hitting bumps or potholes, any correlation between GTS and 4GTS? I had a 4GTS that I recently traded in because of a similar noise that my dealer could not fix after repeated attempts.
Mine is a 992 GTS (with extended range fuel tank and front-axle-lift)

Last edited by pbar; 12-17-2023 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-17-2023, 12:49 PM
pbar
AutoX

Here is a Google photos folder with several videos where the knocking noise happens:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jrx2H9ZNZ2AVXr9u6
(there is a comment on each video with the timestamp of when the noise happens)

This is probably the clearest one at 1m34s when turning left https://photos.app.goo.gl/V2cJgx6qcsg9qL5K9
(the muffled phone audio doesn't really do justice to how loud this is)

Luckily, my dealership have been able to repro and it happens almost every time turning into their parking lot, taking the ramp at an angle to protect the front lip.

Last edited by pbar; 12-17-2023 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Front End Noise