Sponsored by:

Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 05:06 AM
esiahaan
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buckman1
Finally heard from the dealership the noise is coming from the shock a new shock and mount was ordered should arrive in 3 weeks the car in under warrenty the cost of the replacement shock is 2K
Sorry to bring this back up, but am curious if the shocks + mounts addressed the issue? My car has been in the shop for 3 weeks to address a noise that seem identical to what you had addressed. Progress has been slow and now they’re on the fuel tank insulator theory even though I don’t even have an extended tank.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_5397.mov (19.21 MB, 91 views)
Old 04-19-2023, 09:22 AM
Night Blue Fred
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by esiahaan
Sorry to bring this back up, but am curious if the shocks + mounts addressed the issue? My car has been in the shop for 3 weeks to address a noise that seem identical to what you had addressed. Progress has been slow and now they’re on the fuel tank insulator theory even though I don’t even have an extended tank.
The fuel tank issue IS NOT specific to the extended fuel tank. I and others have the regular tank and have had the issue, since corrected.
Old 04-19-2023, 03:29 PM
esiahaan
7th Gear

I see. I was also told by the tech that the fuel tank issues was addressed from the 2022 models onwards, which mine is. At this point, I'm happy to be wrong and just want to fix the issue.
Old 04-19-2023, 07:57 PM
buckman1
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by esiahaan
I've been getting the run around with this issue it hasn't been resolved yet due to a parts issue this issue is so bad I needed to change my dealership I have an appointment on the 29th of this month. I would suggest rolling the car slowly over a speed bump you will have to be able to reproduce the noise for the technician to hear my issue is definitely the shock. I will try and keep you updated.
Old 07-28-2023, 02:07 AM
tguerino
AutoX

Hi. I have the same issue you describe with my 2023 GTS. Any update on whether the shock and/or mount was the issue? Hoping you were able to get issue resolved since it seems to be happening in my car too. Thanks for any information.
Old 10-16-2023, 02:42 PM
G650
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 101 Posts

Just to clarify, does this front end noise manifest itself as a sound appearing to come from the steering wheel?

I’ve had this issue on and off with my car for about 3 years now, and have taken it in 8 times to be fixed. Most of the time they say that they can’t hear the sound and do nothing. However, on 2 occasions they have fixed loose pads on the fuel tank and this has fixed the problem for a few months, only for it to return again at a later date. Most recently the dealer said they found a loose nut on the battery support tray, which they tightened, and the noise went away…. For 3 days. Now it’s back again.

Each time I take the car in, I show them a video of the sound and also reference previous repairs to the fuel tank pads, but each time the dealer(s) behave as if it’s the first time they’ve ever encountered this problem, despite the fact that all the previous repairs are well documented in the system. Besides this issue I also had to deal with a faulty air bag battery, (which “grounded” the car for 5 weeks while they sourced parts), a bad Bose speaker, sticking seat backs (3 times), and a broken seat release strap.

After the noise returned yesterday, I spent most of the day searching the frunk area and the steering wheel column for other possible sources of this rattle, and discovered that the large plastic cover over the battery / fuel tank area has numerous loose potential interference points that I attached self adhesive weather stripping foam to, which, for now at least seems to have alleviated about 80% of the noise. I also found that the wiring harness in the steering column is loose and has the potential to make a rattling noise too, however, due to the limited space to work, I was unable to make any significant improvements in this area.

While I still love driving the car, I’m at my wits end with this rattle issue never being resolved and am considering having Porsche NA buy the car back.

Open to any suggestions other members may have to get this issue resolved.
Old 10-16-2023, 03:37 PM
buckman1
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suggest finding a speed bump and driving the car over it at different speeds until it can be recreated also download and app to your phone so that the noise can be recorded in regards to returning the car I wouldn’t because this is exactly what they mite me trying to make you do I would also suggest you take it to a different dealership my noise was fixed they never really told me what they did however I think if you can recreate the noise and also record it they should be able to fix it
Old 10-16-2023, 03:50 PM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 142 Posts

For those who continue and continue to search for the problem wondering if it is the tank issue, please verify it with the gas level. Fill tank to 3/4 or more, noise should be easy to duplicate (note, if you have recently driven in rain, the sound will not be easy to hear). Next, wait til you get below 1/2 tank and the noise should be gone for the most part. This is the easiest test for the tank issue.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:36 PM
Shandon10
Banned

Default 992 GTS Clunking noise from front

Originally Posted by 911Castle
For those who continue and continue to search for the problem wondering if it is the tank issue, please verify it with the gas level. Fill tank to 3/4 or more, noise should be easy to duplicate (note, if you have recently driven in rain, the sound will not be easy to hear). Next, wait til you get below 1/2 tank and the noise should be gone for the most part. This is the easiest test for the tank issue.

Hi purchased my 992 GTS in July off this year new.

l too have a clunking noise from both front sides when hitting a pothole in the road. its still operant when the fuel tank is full or empty.
l have had the car back to my dealer twice to try and resolve the issue with no success, lm just been told they all do it and basically live with it.

can anyone explain what is causing the issue please?
Old 11-26-2023, 04:53 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,138 Likes on 607 Posts

In my Gt3, I have the standard tank.
I actually went in with a borescope and could see the foam rubber in between the body and the tank had fallen out.
I didn’t want to go through all the drama of having the dealer remove the tank and drop the suspension.
what you can do is pull off the front under body cover and loosen the two straps on the tank and then you can insert foam rubber from the side in between the tank and the body.
I literally did 15 different combinations over about a month to figure out what works best
Finally figured it out. you need a pretty stiff foam.
The lead tech at the dealer does the same thing instead of taking the tank out basically loosen the tank and stuff and some extra foam.
Seems reasonable for $200,000 car
I did get really good at it. I got it down to 38 minutes To remove the panel, insert the phone and put it back together.
Old 11-26-2023, 05:08 PM
Shandon10
Banned

Default Tank noise

thanks for your reply

does the car need put on a ramp to excess the the fuel tank?
Old 11-26-2023, 05:35 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,138 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by Shandon10
thanks for your reply

does the car need put on a ramp to excess the the fuel tank?
you need to be able to get under it I have a a low rise lift in the garage lifts the car about 2 feet.
there is a bunch of T-25 screws 2-10 mm nuts and the tank itself is secured by 2-13 mm bolts

Old 11-26-2023, 05:44 PM
Shandon10
Banned

Default Tank issue

Thanks Karl much appreciated
Old 11-26-2023, 08:42 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Did the dealer remove the blue shipping blocks?

Silly question, I know, but it’s happened more than it should.
This happened to me......it was unbelievable. I took delivery of my car and noticed a seriously bumpy thud when I drove it just around my housing area. I sent them the picture of the orange spacers when I got home as soon as I saw them when I looked in the wheel well. They told me not to drive the car any further and they drove out to my house to remove the spacers; one of the spacers was already cracked. I was so pissed and they knew it and sent me a battery charger and a car cover.

I don't think it damaged the frame of the car but I could see that this could be a consequence of them being left in for a long period of time.

Old 11-27-2023, 09:28 AM
Shandon10
Banned

Default Blocks

Unfortunately it wasn’t so simple on mine as it was one of the first things they checked

thanks

Quick Reply: Front End Noise