992 - Aggressive Door Panel Rattling

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 04:42 PM
threatZERO
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 992 - Aggressive Door Panel Rattling

Hi Team,
2020 992, had every speaker get blown (probably from the owner before me) and had an issue where the freaking doors rattle like crazy when any music is played. Standard Bose, Treb: 0 Bass: 0 - The little handle part on the driver side, my knee rests against and has been resting there since I got the car (3 months old), so I never noticed it on my side, but after reading everyone else's issue, I took my knee off it, and now both doors rattle like crazy.

The dealership is telling me, "tough, nothing we can do" "even if we order you a door, it will still have that trim panel, so gg" wtf am I supposed to do now? 992 lotto and try to trade this one for a different one?

It's a base model Carrea with Premium Package. No PSE, no nothing. I left an M4CS for this. Any suggestions on what to do?
Old 08-11-2022, 04:55 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 436 Posts

Is the speaker blown again? Maybe they aren't tightened down or another panel there isn't tight?

How high is the volume level when the rattle is heard?

I would continue to press the issue and/or take it to another dealer for an analysis about it. Ask to see another, different 992 model in their inventory or in the shop and listen to music in that car and see if it compares to your 992. Should be a done deal there if one is rattling like a caged tiger and another one isn't.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:48 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

I’ve been dealing with door rattle issues since day one. They have tried 4 times to fix it and it only has been made worse.

good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (08-12-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 06:11 PM
threatZERO
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The speakers are getting replaced; thankfully, literally, every single speaker got replaced. So the static noise is gone, but the door rattling was worse than the blown speakers.

The rattle happens after 50% with Treb: 0 and Sub: 0 settings
Old 08-11-2022, 08:43 PM
brainzito
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by threatZERO
The speakers are getting replaced; thankfully, literally, every single speaker got replaced. So the static noise is gone, but the door rattling was worse than the blown speakers.

The rattle happens after 50% with Treb: 0 and Sub: 0 settings
Had the same issue. Take it to a good stereo shop and get the doors lined with dynamat
Amazon Amazon
The following 4 users liked this post by brainzito:
12v Nick (08-12-2022), 911T991 (04-18-2023), AlterZgo (08-12-2022), Bluehighways (08-12-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 09:01 PM
AutobahnMac911
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Arghh, wish I wouldn’t have read this thread. I freak out every time I hear a rattle that so far luckily have been loose things in the door bin, but I’ve only had the car since March….Tick tock I guess
Old 08-12-2022, 02:18 AM
XrussianX
Pro

Received 395 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by brainzito
Had the same issue. Take it to a good stereo shop and get the doors lined with dynamat https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10435...s%2C101&sr=8-3
interesting idea. I have the same rattle from passenger side speaker when jams are played above 50% volume.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:11 AM
Still Learning
Track Day

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same issue after a dealer removed my door panels.

I took them off myself - very easy to do. There are two torx bolts, one under the rubber strip behind the door handle and one under the end cap just below the window.

Remove these, then unclip the small plastic trim piece that houses the alarm LED - just gently pull it. Leave it hanging on its wire.

Now lift the door panel upwards. When it releases, rest it on the bottom clips and undo the two plugs and the door release cable.

Yes...that cable. The 'fitters' had simply hooked it back onto the door handle without refitting the red plastic clip. This made it rattle like crazy.

The refitting method will be obvious - just push the door trim against the door as you push it back down into the retainers (another aspect the fitters will get wrong - they'll cause the panel to miss one of the retainers), then line up the rubber seal for the window.

Redo the bolts and LED trim and enjoy the silence.
The following 3 users liked this post by Still Learning:
AlterZgo (08-12-2022), brainzito (08-12-2022), Schwarz992C4S (04-17-2023)
Old 08-12-2022, 09:31 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Still Learning
I had the same issue after a dealer removed my door panels.

I took them off myself - very easy to do. There are two torx bolts, one under the rubber strip behind the door handle and one under the end cap just below the window.

Remove these, then unclip the small plastic trim piece that houses the alarm LED - just gently pull it. Leave it hanging on its wire.

Now lift the door panel upwards. When it releases, rest it on the bottom clips and undo the two plugs and the door release cable.

Yes...that cable. The 'fitters' had simply hooked it back onto the door handle without refitting the red plastic clip. This made it rattle like crazy.

The refitting method will be obvious - just push the door trim against the door as you push it back down into the retainers (another aspect the fitters will get wrong - they'll cause the panel to miss one of the retainers), then line up the rubber seal for the window.

Redo the bolts and LED trim and enjoy the silence.
Thank you for this! I have a new panel on order from the factory because the dealer broke the plastic tabs. I will give it one more try with the dealer then do it myself.
Still Learning (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 12:19 PM
Still Learning
Track Day

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
Thank you for this! I have a new panel on order from the factory because the dealer broke the plastic tabs. I will give it one more try with the dealer then do it myself.
It winds me up to hear that the dealers are breaking the plastic tabs. You'd have to throw the door panel back on then hit it with a club hammer to break them - they are substantial.

It may stem from the employee churn such places suffer from. Other manufacturers' door panels are often pressed into place whereby a plastic spring clip secures into a hole. I suspect inexperienced (and extremely ignorant) fitters are hitting the door panel to try to get it to clip in - without engaging even a single brain cell and looking at what needs to happen.

We pay in excess of £150.00 per hour for this kind of labour...and the dealers have the temerity to say 'the clips broke'. They didn't break by themselves...they broke due to negligence...

If anyone experiences such a response from a dealer, I suggest you insist to closely inspect your door panel. It will almost certainly display impact marks from the ignoramus the blind service manager employed...

Old 08-12-2022, 12:40 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Still Learning
It winds me up to hear that the dealers are breaking the plastic tabs. You'd have to throw the door panel back on then hit it with a club hammer to break them - they are substantial.

It may stem from the employee churn such places suffer from. Other manufacturers' door panels are often pressed into place whereby a plastic spring clip secures into a hole. I suspect inexperienced (and extremely ignorant) fitters are hitting the door panel to try to get it to clip in - without engaging even a single brain cell and looking at what needs to happen.

We pay in excess of £150.00 per hour for this kind of labour...and the dealers have the temerity to say 'the clips broke'. They didn't break by themselves...they broke due to negligence...

If anyone experiences such a response from a dealer, I suggest you insist to closely inspect your door panel. It will almost certainly display impact marks from the ignoramus the blind service manager employed...
Hey, you know my service department! lol
Still Learning (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 12:44 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,950 Likes on 791 Posts

I'm thinking of dynamatting my door panels myself. Found some videos of 992 door panel removal on youtube:

Old 08-12-2022, 12:46 PM
Still Learning
Track Day

...and he's sitting on the side bolster! aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh
Old 08-12-2022, 12:49 PM
Pak992
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the dealer replace the door panels and speakers twice and still had the rattle. I resorted to following those YouTube videos and adding some generic Amazon form of dynamat and the rattle is gone. It took me less than an hour for both doors.

Last edited by Pak992; 08-12-2022 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:42 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 208 Posts

I just got done adding sound deadening to the doors in a 992 with Bose and added about 2x the power the factory Bose speakers with a nice amplifier. LOTS of bass output and so far zero rattles.

I'll have a thread posted up with more on this exact build, but check this one our for ideas on sound damping: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1311...musicarnw.html

These 992 door panels are stupid easy to remove and DIY the job.

The following 2 users liked this post by 12v Nick:
AlterZgo (08-13-2022), NickM (08-12-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 - Aggressive Door Panel Rattling