Sponsored by:

My 992 finally arrived, break-in question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 04:55 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 706 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
No, what is suggests is that they want to mitigate risks and costs by instilling in people’s minds that they need to baby their engine or else it will fail.

That alter’s people behavior, and that alteration of behavior will reduce Porsche’s costs
Flawed logic. Your reasoning applies to both sides of the user spectrum - while some "baby" their cars, other mechanically tone deaf owners would be redlining their car from day one if not told otherwise. What Porsche does makes perfect sense.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:38 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by NigelPlays
Day 1: Put on track and rip it.

You're welcome
Lol. Love to see you disclose that in the ad

when you try to sell it

Seriously, why WOULDN’T one follow the break in advice, take it easy for 1000 miles and at least bed in the rings? What exactly is the benefit in nailing it straight out of the box? How does thrashing the nuts off it from mile one extend engine life and reliability? Anyone?…
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 06:14 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by BondJ
Seriously, why WOULDN’T one follow the break in advice, take it easy for 1000 miles and at least bed in the rings? What exactly is the benefit in nailing it straight out of the box? How does thrashing the nuts off it from mile one extend engine life and reliability? Anyone?…
Because I can’t drive this car slow. At least not for 1000 miles. It is pure misery for me.

Of course, judging by all of the people who I see out there driving 911s and Corvettes slowly to the golf course or who never drive it but simply wash & wax 5 times per week in the garage, I’m obviously in the minority among performance car owners.

Last edited by Tupper; 06-27-2022 at 06:15 PM.
Rymundo (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 06:21 PM
BondJ
Pro

Originally Posted by Tupper
Because I can’t drive this car slow. At least not for 1000 miles. It is pure misery for me.

Of course, judging by all of the people who I see out there driving 911s and Corvettes slowly to the golf course or who never drive it but simply wash & wax 5 times per week in the garage, I’m obviously in the minority among performance car owners.
Lol. Fair enough, but that’s just you not-giving-a-****. Doesn’t answer my question…
Old 06-27-2022, 06:27 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by BondJ
take it easy for 1000 miles and at least bed in the rings
So we're clear, taking it easy does not bed the piston rings. The way to do this properly has been covered in this thread already. Those of you that babied your cars for break in and are now living with oil consumption are the proof.

There might be other bits and bobs that benefit from staying under 4k for a couple thousand miles. Piston rings are not it.

I've never had a single problem with my approach; let it warm up, and drive it like you stole it. This approximates what others do more deliberately, running through the rpm range once warmed up, etc.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:20 PM
BondJ
Pro

So, no need to bed in the rings, to take off the high spots and improve surface finish to assist bore seal and reduce oil consumption later in the engine’s life, eh? BS.
You may have had no problems with your car ‘driving it like you stole it’…but I’m betting the next poor sod to own it does!
Old 06-27-2022, 08:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
But you'd agree, it doesn't harm the engine or drive parts to follow the break in instructions in the manual, right?
Why would one assume that?

It does not necessarily follow that an engine benefits from being kept below 4k RPM for X number of miles. Do you have metallurgical or mechanical studies to show that?
Old 06-27-2022, 08:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
So we're clear, taking it easy does not bed the piston rings. The way to do this properly has been covered in this thread already. Those of you that babied your cars for break in and are now living with oil consumption are the proof.

There might be other bits and bobs that benefit from staying under 4k for a couple thousand miles. Piston rings are not it.

I've never had a single problem with my approach; let it warm up, and drive it like you stole it. This approximates what others do more deliberately, running through the rpm range once warmed up, etc.
This is so damn ******* true.

In fact, taking it easy is probably one of the worst ways to seat the rings (assuming the rings need to be seated).
Old 06-27-2022, 08:29 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 283 Posts

For the 100th time... who cares! If you're asking it's because you think 1875 Miles is too long and are answer shopping for a shorter break-in time. I waited 600 miles (I000 KM) before really opening It up. And waited the full 1875 miles before doing a launch. I feel comfortable with that.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:32 PM
BondJ
Pro

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

In fact, taking it easy is probably one of the worst ways to seat the rings (assuming the rings need to be seated).
They don’t need seating, they spin on the piston. Because of this they need sealing to the bore (removing high spots). Not over-extending RPM when new assists this process.
SBAD (06-28-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 08:35 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Yep, to me there's only 2 things you can really influence during so-called 'break in'. The brakes and the rings. Brakes you fix with a couple of decent stops on the way home from the dealer. Rings you fix by leaning on the gas pedal at mid-revs a few times, to load them up a bit. Maybe I'm just old school and don't like dealing with lawyers.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:00 PM
Dudewithout992
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 89 Posts

OP - so there you have it - a crystal clear break-in process embedded somewhere in this thread. Any other questions?
The following 2 users liked this post by Dudewithout992:
doug_999 (06-27-2022), DriveToSurvive (03-30-2024)
Old 06-27-2022, 09:11 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

I kept it under 4K for 4K miles (I'm at 3,999.x) due to severe temperature differences, I'm not idling for 20 minutes to get it up to operating temperatures.

As soon as I clear 4k at the end of my driveway no doubt and the 3 miles of gravel, I'm letting her rip.

Not a single drop of oil consumption. And yes, it is driven year round from 82F today to -38F this past winter in snow, slush, mud and dry pavement. For anything else I have my Touareg

siberian
Old 06-27-2022, 11:47 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

Not scientific in any way, but the BMW V8 owners who aggressively broke their cars in, seemed to have fewer issues with oil consumption over the life of the car.

as I have said, I’ve seen plenty of people have issues with cars babied from the get go, just not the other way around.

and seriously, these threads are fun.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:22 AM
XrussianX
Pro

Received 395 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Not scientific in any way, but the BMW V8 owners who aggressively broke their cars in, seemed to have fewer issues with oil consumption over the life of the car.

as I have said, I’ve seen plenty of people have issues with cars babied from the get go, just not the other way around.

and seriously, these threads are fun.
What we have is 2 sides and both sides make their arguments. Pick which side you are and follow the instructions 😆

I’m wondering how “broken” in are all the cars we see the journalists drive soon as the car hits the public? They do a swell job of staying under 4k to showcase the cars👍🏻

Quick Reply: My 992 finally arrived, break-in question