Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should have been engineered but wasn't ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 06:52 AM
PorscheCH
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
For those of us that actually HAVE FAL on their cars…we know that the car does NOT automatically lower when turning off the engine. However, It will lower itself, automatically, once you begin to drive off.
For some reasons my 992 tts (my22) does it. Although, not immediately after turning off the engine. In my case, the smart FAL lifts the car at the entrance of the underground garage in my building, I turn off the car but often forget to lower it. The next morning I always find the car lowered. In fact when I turn it on, FAL automatically raises it again (I can hear the noise of the car being lifted).
Old 05-13-2022, 09:05 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheCH
For some reasons my 992 tts (my22) does it. Although, not immediately after turning off the engine. In my case, the smart FAL lifts the car at the entrance of the underground garage in my building, I turn off the car but often forget to lower it. The next morning I always find the car lowered. In fact when I turn it on, FAL automatically raises it again (I can hear the noise of the car being lifted).

I think that’s the concern…should not sit all night, or hours, it the raised position. I doubt that doing so, a few times, won’t cause any permanent damage, but the prudent thing to do (per the manual) is to lower the car when finished driving.

Instead of being pneumatically based, the front axle lift system in the new 911 is electro-hydraulic. An actuator located on the spring strut does the heavy lifting when fluid is transferred via a hydraulic pump, through pipes, that run to the actuators. As noted above, the front axles lift system increase ground clearance at the front spoiler by 40mm, or 1 1/2 inches, while at the same time increasing the approach angle by about 3 degrees. Anyone that’s ever tapped their front spoiler knows this extra clearance can be a savior with big speed bumps or steep access ramps to curbs, garages and parking lots. Once engaged, using a button on the center console, the front reaches its full height in about 5 seconds. You can engage the system at speeds up to 20 mph, once over that your Porsche’s front axle will lower to its normal ride height automatically.”

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 05-13-2022 at 10:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
siberian (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 12:25 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheCH
Having lived in Geneva for 19 years, the reason must be that it's why you pay a fortune for anything in Switzerland as it's "Execution Suisse"...

IMHO, put a reminder somewhere and lower it before shutting the engine off

siberian
Old 05-14-2022, 08:39 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

When I leave my phone plugged into CarPlay on my wife's Audi, the nice lady (not my wife) gently reminds me that I have left my cell phone in the vehicle. I am 99.99999% sure Porsche could do the same with a nice "You have left FAL in the raised position" message.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:39 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
When I leave my phone plugged into CarPlay on my wife's Audi, the nice lady (not my wife) gently reminds me that I have left my cell phone in the vehicle. I am 99.99999% sure Porsche could do the same with a nice "You have left FAL in the raised position" message.

Yes they could….would be a nice feature to have.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:56 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Another QC fail...

siberian

Quick Reply: What should have been engineered but wasn't ...