Sponsored by:

External Factors with a Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2022 | 05:33 PM
scatkins
Advanced

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Posts like this make my head hurt.
Agree.. 300 mindless posts of battling... "PDK is best" vs "I can't live without a manual"

If you don't already know buy a PDK, if you want a manual you already know who you are ... and listening to this doesn't change your mind.

I've had both.. when I have a PDK I wish I had a manual. And when I have a manual, I have a hard time holding my coffee and driving. In the end get what floats your boat
The following users liked this post:
FullThrottle64 (04-19-2022)
Old 04-18-2022 | 05:43 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I agree that the 992 manual feels better than my F80's manual. The lever definitely feels firmer and not nearly as flexy. I guess I'm really talking more about how the lever slots between the various gears. In past, old school cars I've driven, particuarly ones w/ direct shift linkages rather than shifter cables, the shifter would feel like it notches positively into gear. The 992 feels, to me, more like it hits the end of a plastic stop like on a joystick... which is not surprising as the install of numeric shifter videos shows the 991 and 992 shifters to actually be made of plastic.

I wouldn't say it's bad. I was just disappointed as I expectred more of an old school, positive, notchier, direct feel based on how people were talking about how awesome the shifter was. Better than my M3? Definitely. But, that's not saying much as the M3 shifter is quite mediocre IMO.

Glad you are enjoying your 992! Maybe if I hadn't read this forum and the over the top awesome comments about the shifter for months and months before my car arrived, I'd be happy with it. Conversely, I hope my pessimistic comments have made you enjoy yours more!

I definitely plan on getting the numeric shifter though.
Haha! Thankfully I’m happy. Not feeling like I need the Numeric shifter is one less mod I have to purchase.
AlterZgo (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022 | 05:53 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by detansinn
The seven speed manual transmission is not a particularly special transmission. That six speed in the GT3 is one of the all time greats. 👍
Haven't driven a GTS yet but multiple reviews have said that the GTS shifter is a significant upgrade. Still unclear if its anything beyond just a shorter throw. Curious if its an easy mod to put the GTS shifter on a non GTS
SamD (04-19-2022)
Old 04-18-2022 | 06:08 PM
M156
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I agree that the 992 manual feels better than my F80's manual. The lever definitely feels firmer and not nearly as flexy. I guess I'm really talking more about how the lever slots between the various gears. In past, old school cars I've driven, particuarly ones w/ direct shift linkages rather than shifter cables, the shifter would feel like it notches positively into gear. The 992 feels, to me, more like it hits the end of a plastic stop like on a joystick... which is not surprising as the install of numeric shifter videos shows the 991 and 992 shifters to actually be made of plastic.

I wouldn't say it's bad. I was just disappointed as I expectred more of an old school, positive, notchier, direct feel based on how people were talking about how awesome the shifter was. Better than my M3? Definitely. But, that's not saying much as the M3 shifter is quite mediocre IMO.

Glad you are enjoying your 992! Maybe if I hadn't read this forum and the over the top awesome comments about the shifter for months and months before my car arrived, I'd be happy with it. Conversely, I hope my pessimistic comments have made you enjoy yours more!

I definitely plan on getting the numeric shifter though.
Do you know or think the numeric shifter will solve the rubbery feel?
I owned a F80 and previous M with manual and found all of them to shift pretty horribly in the sensation department.

Old 04-18-2022 | 06:47 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M156
I owned a F80 and previous M with manual and found all of them to shift pretty horribly in the sensation department.
Not sure but I'm hopeful. Shifter feel is clearly very subjective. I think it may help for me as I like notchier, clicky, positive feeling shifters vs. the buttery smooth Honda type of shifters.
Old 04-19-2022 | 08:12 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by nv992gts
Just wondering how high the worry factor is for those with manuals when it comes to valeting, service, letting other take it for a drive, etc.
Preventing other people from driving it is one of the reasons I prefer a manual. When I take my cars anywhere for service, emissions, inspection, whatever, my standard response when the valet/inspector/kid asks for the keys goes something like "Umm, this is a 500-horsepower car with a manual transmission. It's probably better if I just put it where you need it to be and we leave it at that, OK?"

99 times out of a hundred I get a response something like "Yeah, can't blame ya one bit."

One of my favorites was pulling up to a very expensive restaurant in a bright yellow Carrera S, seeing the two teenagers at the valet station, then driving right past to a nice single parallel spot a block down the street. As I walked past, one of the kids said "Nice car! Next time, you can just park it right out front with us and keep the keys with you."

Between the 911 and the Challenger, I've found that most people are either impressed and understand, or are completely oblivious and have no business behind the wheel.

FWIW, my wife also prefers a manual, and that's what she drives every day. She rarely wants to drive one of mine, but she can if she needs to, and she has plenty of practice.

Last edited by FullThrottle64; 04-19-2022 at 08:17 PM.
txpackers (04-20-2022)
Old 04-19-2022 | 09:09 PM
M2to992C2S
Advanced

Originally Posted by M156
I also have had BMW manuals and the 911 feel is so much better. I didn’t love the BMW M2 manual and ended up switching to an M2 comp DCT. But, after 2 years, that got boring and I wanted to get back into a manual, and my first 911. I don’t think the S manual is rubbery at all. I haven’t driven the GTS manual or the GT3, both of which people say are better than the S, but I am very happy with the feel of the S.

Quick Reply: External Factors with a Manual Transmission