Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WME3 Workshop Campaign - Retrofit electrical steering column adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2022 | 11:56 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Default WME3 Workshop Campaign - Retrofit electrical steering column adjustment

When I bought my 718 GTS over the weekend, I asked about the missing module in my Targa 4S that I still haven't received (bought Targa last July). Apparently, Porsche issued an update to the campaign 3/25/22 stating they are no longer retrofitting the steering column modules. This doesn't just affect 911s but any of the Porsche models that were supposed to receive power steering column adjustment. They are considering how to reimburse affected customers. Honestly, that pisses me off since I've paid for that module and been driving the car in good faith they would finally get around to my car. Plus what is the reimbursement going to be? A $5 gift certificate to Starbucks?
Old 04-04-2022 | 01:31 PM
Drew46
Drifting

Originally Posted by c1pher
When I bought my 718 GTS over the weekend, I asked about the missing module in my Targa 4S that I still haven't received (bought Targa last July). Apparently, Porsche issued an update to the campaign 3/25/22 stating they are no longer retrofitting the steering column modules. This doesn't just affect 911s but any of the Porsche models that were supposed to receive power steering column adjustment. They are considering how to reimburse affected customers. Honestly, that pisses me off since I've paid for that module and been driving the car in good faith they would finally get around to my car. Plus what is the reimbursement going to be? A $5 gift certificate to Starbucks?
Did they give you anything in writing when you took delivery promising to retrofit? If you can establish that you took delivery based on a their promise, you likely can press your case a bit. This may be them just hoping to only have to deal with the squeaky wheels.
Old 04-04-2022 | 04:28 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drew46
Did they give you anything in writing when you took delivery promising to retrofit? If you can establish that you took delivery based on a their promise, you likely can press your case a bit. This may be them just hoping to only have to deal with the squeaky wheels.
Yes, I have the letter. This isn't the dealer trying to get out of it. They showed me screenshots from Porsche corporate.
Old 04-04-2022 | 05:38 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

The dealers clearly told us this would be coming. What makes me the maddest is they have built cars with the electrical steering column 6 months after my car was built. A delivery at my dealer in February had both the extra key and the module. This clearly sets a tone you cannot trust Porsche
Old 04-04-2022 | 05:54 PM
mksz51
Pro

Originally Posted by Drew46
Very interesting - picked mine up in August 2021 with a manual column. I DO have a letter on Porsche letterhead promising a retrofit for the manual column (and the second key which is in process now of being resolved).
Old 04-04-2022 | 05:59 PM
mksz51
Pro

Originally Posted by white6speed
The dealers clearly told us this would be coming. What makes me the maddest is they have built cars with the electrical steering column 6 months after my car was built. A delivery at my dealer in February had both the extra key and the module. This clearly sets a tone you cannot trust Porsche
I'm affected but I'm actually not that excited by it. Who in "big business" can you trust? These are all business decisions - I don't think Porsche wants a bunch of angry customers but they made a decision and hopefully will find a way to appease us in a way that seems fair. I just told my wife if they asked me "what do you want" I'd just tell them "how about an instant Targa allocation earmarked for me at MSRP". That would seem very fair to me.
The following users liked this post:
KLOC (04-06-2022)
Old 04-04-2022 | 06:02 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

This should get real interesting as they say no more electronic steering wheel adjustment on all cars. Many cars are ordered with the understanding their car will have it. Taycans never even offered the choice of manual adjustment. I now have 2 cars effected and the fact that they continued instals and retrofits the last 6 months makes this worse
Old 04-04-2022 | 06:37 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by white6speed
This should get real interesting as they say no more electronic steering wheel adjustment on all cars. Many cars are ordered with the understanding their car will have it. Taycans never even offered the choice of manual adjustment. I now have 2 cars effected and the fact that they continued instals and retrofits the last 6 months makes this worse
My local dealer hasn't seen cars without the power steering adjustment since late 21. Everything coming in since has had the option if originally checked on the build sheet.
Old 04-04-2022 | 08:55 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mksz51
I'm affected but I'm actually not that excited by it. Who in "big business" can you trust? These are all business decisions - I don't think Porsche wants a bunch of angry customers but they made a decision and hopefully will find a way to appease us in a way that seems fair. I just told my wife if they asked me "what do you want" I'd just tell them "how about an instant Targa allocation earmarked for me at MSRP". That would seem very fair to me.
The problem as I see it is if you have a batch of cars that are missing something that was on it before and after it was built, doesn’t that negatively impact the overall value of my car, even if by a few thousand dollars?
Old 04-04-2022 | 09:12 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Weren’t they letting 2RS owners keep hoods and wheels (if you ordered mag wheels) a few years ago due to lack of availability when being built?
Old 04-04-2022 | 09:17 PM
mksz51
Pro

The problem as I see it is if you have a batch of cars that are missing something that was on it before and after it was built, doesn’t that negatively impact the overall value of my car, even if by a few thousand dollars?
I honestly doubt anyone would notice - whether it be a dealership or private sale. I NEVER move the steering column adjustment after week 1 of ownership - whether it's a power or manual unit. Certain options make a difference - sport chrono, sport exhaust, sunroof, PDK vs. manual, etc. Others - not so much. Power adjusting steering column falls into the latter. Leather trimmed steering column - doubt that's a deal breaker also. I acknowledge that the relative importance of all of these options varies greatly from individual to individual. My sports cars tend to have relatively limited use - I have other vehicles to drive in bad weather (including rain) so my sports cars have low mileage and tend to be in pristine condition. Due to that I've never had an issue with resale or trade in value on any of them. At the end of the day that will likely trump the lack or presence of an electric adjusting steering column vs. manual IMO.
M3Inline6 (05-09-2022)
Old 04-04-2022 | 09:37 PM
Hummerchine
AutoX

I’m gonna be SUPER PISSED if Porsche ultimately refuses to install the electronic steering adjustment! I custom ordered a 2021 Panamera Turbo S Executive, it cost a fortune, yet after multiple delays arrived last fall. Nobody even told me that they had not installed the electronic steering adjustment! I’ve emailed my sales rep a few times and he had repeatedly confirmed that they will install the parts eventually. I have no interest in monetary compensation, all I’d want to do with the money is purchase the parts and have them installed.

We will see how this plays out. I’ll get my attorney involved if I need to.
c1pher (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022 | 10:19 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hummerchine
I’m gonna be SUPER PISSED if Porsche ultimately refuses to install the electronic steering adjustment! I custom ordered a 2021 Panamera Turbo S Executive, it cost a fortune, yet after multiple delays arrived last fall. Nobody even told me that they had not installed the electronic steering adjustment! I’ve emailed my sales rep a few times and he had repeatedly confirmed that they will install the parts eventually. I have no interest in monetary compensation, all I’d want to do with the money is purchase the parts and have them installed.

We will see how this plays out. I’ll get my attorney involved if I need to.
The only reason I asked the dealer was because I had emailed Porsche corporate and never heard back. I thought I’d try through the dealer to see if I could get a response. It’s very disappointing to me since Porsche makes you pay for every little single option, so if I ordered it, I expect to get it.
Old 04-04-2022 | 10:23 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Old 04-04-2022 | 11:27 PM
Hummerchine
AutoX

I simply can’t imagine Porsche making this horrible decision. For starters, I was not even informed of the fact that they delivered my car without the electric parts. But when I brought it to the dealer’s attention I was told numerous times that the parts would be retrofitted.

To reneg on that now….and by claiming it’s not possible…

That’s just total BS. Like if I don’t get that installed this will be my last Porsche.

Quick Reply: WME3 Workshop Campaign - Retrofit electrical steering column adjustment