Sponsored by:

Lowering springs for Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 02:58 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,797 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by Osv
Part numbers of the dampers are equal for the front, different for the rear IIRC.
The OEM rear shocks have adjustable perches, too, that allow for even more lowering on the factory shock (…approximately 3-5mm). I’m not sure if the front shocks have it as well.
Old 04-03-2022, 02:58 PM
por356
Racer

Received 382 Likes on 149 Posts

[QUOTE=Tobeit;18067134]indeed a lot for little money. Well alignment would be done of course and I already replaced that front lip (haha, that really changes handling &#128513. Surprised that the dampers are actually different…vs maybe programmed different to be a little stiffer. More people here who installed HAS on a base suspension? Any thoughts? I probably will try Techart HAS[/QUOTE]

Have KW HAS on base with 7K miles, would do it again. Ride is firm but not harsh......
Old 04-03-2022, 03:22 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

[QUOTE=por356;18067165]
Originally Posted by Tobeit
indeed a lot for little money. Well alignment would be done of course and I already replaced that front lip (haha, that really changes handling &#128513. Surprised that the dampers are actually different…vs maybe programmed different to be a little stiffer. More people here who installed HAS on a base suspension? Any thoughts? I probably will try Techart HAS[/QUOTE]

Have KW HAS on base with 7K miles, would do it again. Ride is firm but not harsh......
Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
por356 (04-03-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 05:00 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

[QUOTE=por356;18067165]
Originally Posted by Tobeit
indeed a lot for little money. Well alignment would be done of course and I already replaced that front lip (haha, that really changes handling &#128513. Surprised that the dampers are actually different…vs maybe programmed different to be a little stiffer. More people here who installed HAS on a base suspension? Any thoughts? I probably will try Techart HAS[/QUOTE]

Sorry, another question. Just read the install instructions for the TechArt HAS (and springs) and it says after lowering and alignment "program the height values at the PIWIS". Does that require a Porsche specific reader/programmer or can be done with a Xentry or similar? I assume it adjust things like headlight autoleveling etc? What does PIWIS stand for anyway?
Old 04-03-2022, 05:24 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Cst
Anyone have a guess how long/miles the struts would last if you just did the springs? I would imagine an adjustable set like the kw HAS wouldn't be any different.
This question of how many miles the struts would last after installing lowering springs really depends on the individual. I have lowered every single car I have ever owned and I have felt the stock shocks or struts wear out after maybe 6-10K miles. However, on every car forum I've been on, many other enthusiasts swear their shocks and struts are fine after 30K+ miles. A lot also depends on how much you lower the car and how you drive it. I've never slammed my cars and I don't track them either. Yet, despite my relatively conservative use case, I have felt the damping give up anyway after no more than 10K miles. Bottom line for me is, I always go full coilovers b/c I have literally had to replace the spring every single time with full coilovers whenever I've went with just springs or a HAS kit. Every... single... time.

You may be the type that won't notice the worn out damping and be 100% fine w/ just springs... in fact, it seems like the majority of people feel that way. The other thing that skews the results is, we are talking about 911s. Not many people daily drive these cars and put 15K+ miles on them annually so they may not notice any issues in the 6-10K miles they put on the cars after a few years.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
Cst (04-03-2022), Master Deep (03-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Lowering springs for Carrera S