Gave into temptation and sold my 2020 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 07:57 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by DNSGT3
At this market 992 owners can:
Option 1: Trade-in now for a used car on the lot, which is also at market high. Then you don't really benefit from the hot market at all. Why bother?
Option 2: Trade-in for a new car allocation at MSRP (which ever brank). The cost is you have to wait for another few months / years - but hey, everyone has a price.
Option 3: Keep driving and enjoy what you have - and keep telling yourself this is why you work hard to be able to afford this thing. Plus, have you forgotten about all the pain while waiting for the car???? TYD, ship schedule, supply shortage, options that became not available and potential MY2023 price increase.

For now, I choose Option 3.
(If you offer me MSRP + 100K on my 2022 Targa 4S, congratulations it's yours.)
Ha

Same here on option 3

But 100k over, ill let my targa go
The following users liked this post:
Go Bruins (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 08:12 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

I used to have a nice little arrangement - I'd buy my cars at a discount, own them for a year or two and trade them in for KBB and get a new car on discount. In the end, we both won: the dealer made his money and I owned a 911 for very little money and was able to stay perpetually stay in a new car every year or two.

I don't see the supply situation improving for the next few years and that makes me sad. Not to get into another wristwatch tangent, but I remember being able to walk into a common local jewelry store and have my pick of steel Rolexes at MSRP. Bought a blue/black GMT that had been there for weeks at sticker, like it was nothing at all.

That was 2014 and once that world went away (pre-COVID, even) it never came back. Now you go into a dedicated Rolex boutique and it's literally a completely empty store. Wait lists are enormous and street prices are >3x MSRP. I worry the same will be true for the 911.
Go Bruins (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 08:30 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I used to have a nice little arrangement - I'd buy my cars at a discount, own them for a year or two and trade them in for KBB and get a new car on discount. In the end, we both won: the dealer made his money and I owned a 911 for very little money and was able to stay perpetually stay in a new car every year or two.

I don't see the supply situation improving for the next few years and that makes me sad. Not to get into another wristwatch tangent, but I remember being able to walk into a common local jewelry store and have my pick of steel Rolexes at MSRP. Bought a blue/black GMT that had been there for weeks at sticker, like it was nothing at all.

That was 2014 and once that world went away (pre-COVID, even) it never came back. Now you go into a dedicated Rolex boutique and it's literally a completely empty store. Wait lists are enormous and street prices are >3x MSRP. I worry the same will be true for the 911.
I'm not sure what's going on with Rolex is a universal anecdote... That crap started pre-COVID, and it almost exclusively pertains to the steel Rolex's- or at least it used to. I remember when I was looking to buy a Rolex in 2018 and there was ONE new steel watch in stock at an AD (an Explorer) within 200 miles of the DC Metro area. Used/gray market Batman GMTs like the one you're referring to were going for north of $15k at the time; as you know list was ~$9k if I recall correctly. The current Exlorer II (215670) that I ended up with and still have right now I found gently used (yet still 5 years old) for just south of its $8100 MSRP and I thought I found the deal of the century. But I could have gotten a steel/gold daytona at sticker pretty easily...

I have a steel JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon that I've been considering selling off for a while now, but that's going for the exact same rate as it did when I bought it 4 years ago. Same with my Panerai and TAG... Availability is definitely a factor, desirability as well (most people know what a Rolex is, I doubt that's true for JLC and Panerai, and TAG isn't on the same level)- but I think part of it is also Rolex intentionally creating a perpetual supply deficit...

Today it looks like I could get $15k for my Explorer II but the point is Rolex has been doing this for a while, COVID just amplified it. If Porsche follows suit then yes, we're in trouble.

Last edited by manifold danger; 03-29-2022 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-29-2022, 12:50 PM
sddynamix
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
But I could have gotten a steel/gold daytona at sticker pretty easily...
You'd be pretty hard pressed to find any daytona easily now
Old 03-29-2022, 12:57 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by rouxeny
Always amazed to see how quickly bored of their cars some folks here get. I have to imagine that the delta between the money made selling a used car now versus a few years ago is not really a meaningful amount of money to most of the people who read this forum. Sure, getting out of your slightly used 992 is very easy right now. But getting into a new one, or even most other cars you’d realistically cross shop, is not easy now. Driving a car you presumably enjoy for the next year or so, at least until cars become more available, isn’t worth the extra 20-30k you might get for selling it now?

I suppose if it’s your 5th 911, maybe they’re not so special anymore. For me, this will be 911 numero uno. I’m not selling it anytime soon, no matter what the dealer offers me.
My new GTS coming any day now will be my 8th 911, 9th Porsche 2 seater. They are all special to me. My wife tells me if I had the $ I'm out buying cars I could be retired now :-) Regardless, that's coming very soon now even with the cars under my belt..
Old 03-29-2022, 03:01 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

Always amazed to see how quickly bored of their cars some folks here get. I have to imagine that the delta between the money made selling a used car now versus a few years ago is not really a meaningful amount of money to most of the people who read this forum. Sure, getting out of your slightly used 992 is very easy right now. But getting into a new one, or even most other cars you’d realistically cross shop, is not easy now. Driving a car you presumably enjoy for the next year or so, at least until cars become more available, isn’t worth the extra 20-30k you might get for selling it now?

I suppose if it’s your 5th 911, maybe they’re not so special anymore. For me, this will be 911 numero uno. I’m not selling it anytime soon, no matter what the dealer offers me.
I was lucky and got both my TTS and Touring at MSRP. I wasn't anticipating getting the Touring (I was on a list for five years) when I ordered the TTS. I got the allocation call for the Touring while the TTS was being built. Being that I'm still paying alimony I can realistically only keep one at this point. I would have absolutely no issue keeping both in the garage if things were a little different right now. First world problems.
Old 03-29-2022, 03:06 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Look at how few miles people do in them too. It's weird, people spend all this money on a car and then don't drive it or sell it a few months later. Many of us though are into our 3rd, 4th, or 5th 911 because they are special. To drive, not to look at.
Old 03-29-2022, 03:28 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Look at how few miles people do in them too. It's weird, people spend all this money on a car and then don't drive it or sell it a few months later. Many of us though are into our 3rd, 4th, or 5th 911 because they are special. To drive, not to look at.
I drive around 10-12k miles per year in my "second" car. I've always wanted to try a Ferrari, but apparently anything over 2500 miles per year in one and you're pretty much stuck with it - unless things have changed.
aggie57 (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 06:18 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I drive around 10-12k miles per year in my "second" car. I've always wanted to try a Ferrari, but apparently anything over 2500 miles per year in one and you're pretty much stuck with it - unless things have changed.
A Ferrari is a must try. Just got my first 488 spider 6 months ago , and already got offered 30 k above what I paid . Porsche makes great cars, but Ferrari is a different experience altogether . The younger generations are owning them, so mileage limitations are not as a big deal as they used to be
Old 03-29-2022, 06:25 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 162 Posts

I ordered my MT 992S in March of 2021 when things just began to get crazy. I actually wanted to order a 718 Spyder but that became impossible to order. I received a $1k discount on the last S allocation my dealer had for many months. That was the last 911 he sold without ADM. I did also order a Cayenne base for my wife, which was delivered in August, and have bought new cars from him for both of us about every three years. The 992 was delivered in July 2021 and before it was unloaded my dealer got an offer for well above sticker. At the time I was on a list for a GT3 but that seems to have stayed a year away even now. My dealer asked if I would do a pre-trade at MSRP but could not give me a date for the GT3 allocation. I decided to wait until December when an allocation should be available to me. If things work out, I hope to do the pre trade upon getting an order placed, then wait for the car to arrive in spring, just in time for 2023. Wishful thinking? Maybe, but nobody will take my 992S until I have secured a build number.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:59 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,539 Likes on 5,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Things have changed.

I daily a Ferrari. Put around 8k/year on the ODO. During my last annual visit, was told the dealership would buy it from me at MSRP + 50k (it's a 2019 car), or would be happy to consign it for me.

And for what it's worth, I would definitely buy a higher mileage Ferrari over a lower mileage one, ceteris paribus. You want to make sure there are no gremlins hiding in those finicky, temperamental Italian electronics.
The following 4 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (03-29-2022), detansinn (03-29-2022), Golfster (03-31-2022), M3Inline6 (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 10:19 AM
fstezaws
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Sold my 992 in Nov (bought it for 20k under MSRP) as I was attracted to making a little money, even though money isn't really a big concern for me.

Regretted it ever since and now I'm picking one up at MSRP from a private party (granted its less than 1 year old and under 3k miles). I should have never sold it. But, I've learned that I'll likely always have a 911 in my garage as it's what gives me an incredible amount of fulfilllment.
The following 3 users liked this post by fstezaws:
aggie57 (03-30-2022), M3Inline6 (03-30-2022), rouxeny (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 11:32 PM
brainzito
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 118 Posts

I just shopped around, to see if pre-trading made any sense before my GTS arrives in August.
FWIW, Base 992 - best offer from dealer is $3k below MSRP.
Local wholesaler - $5,500 over MSRP - which is quite close to dealer's offer once tax credit is factored in.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:56 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by fstezaws
Sold my 992 in Nov (bought it for 20k under MSRP) as I was attracted to making a little money, even though money isn't really a big concern for me.

Regretted it ever since and now I'm picking one up at MSRP from a private party (granted its less than 1 year old and under 3k miles). I should have never sold it. But, I've learned that I'll likely always have a 911 in my garage as it's what gives me an incredible amount of fulfilllment.
A 911 in a garage is like firecrackers in box. What fun is that? How is that fulfilling? 😜

I loved my 992C4S. After clocking more 35k miles of adventure over 2.5 years that cost me practically nothing, I can’t say that I regret trading it in for the Taycan. Shocking as it may be, literally, zero regret, because I got to enjoy the maximum 911 experience in that car, ie no unfinished business for me. I remain a huge fan of the 992 and learned whole bunch, but I was ready for new adventures.
M3Inline6 (03-30-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 12:43 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by fstezaws

This

Sold my 2018 GT3 about 18 months ago and I regretted it. So happy picking up my GTS Cabrio on Friday. I have been bored to death with nothing fun to drive on the weekends. Will always have a 911 in my garage as well.

Quick Reply: Gave into temptation and sold my 2020 C2S