Sponsored by:

992 Audio - System Fails to Read USB Drive Upon Restart

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 06:04 PM
AtlantaBuckeye
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 992 Audio - System Fails to Read USB Drive Upon Restart

Interested to see if anyone else has had this experience. I took delivery of my '21 C2S last April. I have the Burmester but I'm not sure that matters for this purpose. The '21 MY has two USB-A ports, and I had been looking forward to loading lossless music files (some FLAC, some ALAC) onto a huge thumb drive (256 GB) and playing the songs using those ports. And it works . . . until I turn off the car. When I restart it, the media will play, but there is no identification of the file being played, and worse, none of the controls work so I can't go back or forward among the songs on the drive. (Interestingly, the volume works, so I suppose I do have control over that.) I find myself switching the source away from USB to, for example, Sirius, and then switching back, which typically fixes the issue as the system tends to re-read the drive when switched back. But that is annoying to say the least. Anything I am missing here? Would love to learn there is an embarrassingly obvious fix. Any thoughts or suggestions? Many thanks!
Old 03-07-2022, 06:20 PM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlantaBuckeye
Interested to see if anyone else has had this experience. I took delivery of my '21 C2S last April. I have the Burmester but I'm not sure that matters for this purpose. The '21 MY has two USB-A ports, and I had been looking forward to loading lossless music files (some FLAC, some ALAC) onto a huge thumb drive (256 GB) and playing the songs using those ports. And it works . . . until I turn off the car. When I restart it, the media will play, but there is no identification of the file being played, and worse, none of the controls work so I can't go back or forward among the songs on the drive. (Interestingly, the volume works, so I suppose I do have control over that.) I find myself switching the source away from USB to, for example, Sirius, and then switching back, which typically fixes the issue as the system tends to re-read the drive when switched back. But that is annoying to say the least. Anything I am missing here? Would love to learn there is an embarrassingly obvious fix. Any thoughts or suggestions? Many thanks!
I have the same issue. I don't think there is a work-around other than what you suggested, but I look forward to responses from others.

Jason
Old 03-07-2022, 06:44 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 187 Posts

I don't often plan the music on my USB drive in my MY20 992, but will test it and see if I also see what you're describing.

I'm also wondering if it has to do with how you've organized the music files on the USB drive. Can you describe the directory structure on your drive? And how many files and directories you have? Maybe it is a limitation for very large music libraries.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:27 PM
blutruck1
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't have your exact problem. I had an issue with the PCM not reading the entire library of files. I pulled the USB out and reseated it a couple of times, then it would read correctly. I switched to the SD port/ SD card and same thing. Try reseating your drive in the socket and see if it changes anything. 21 C4S.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:55 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Yep, the PCM has issues with anything connected to those two ports. My version of it is 1 port = iPod Nano, 1 port = thumbdrive. When I start the car it reads whatever was last playing until CarPlay connects and then that source goes offline. It shows up as connected again after another few seconds but is unusable unless I disconnect and reconnect it. Happens consistently and easily repeated.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:03 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 95 Posts

I have a similar problem. My MY22 only has 2 USB-C ports no sd card slot so I'm using one to put a usb stick with mp3s on it. Most of the time it works fine, other times upon starting the car it says no device is connected. Reseatint it works again. A bit annoying.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:30 AM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Hmmm...I have a 2022 with Bose system which uses USB-C. So far with 2 months ownership, no problems with it reading USB
Old 10-09-2022, 10:34 AM
Mikster
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Similar issue here. The USB C thumb drive has been playing my mp3 files well since I’ve owned he car, about a year (MY22). Now, today—poof! “No device attached” reported by PCM.

M
Old 10-09-2022, 02:55 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 187 Posts

Could it be the size or number of music files on the USB drive that is causing a delay? The PCM might be slow in scanning the contents of the drive if there are too many files on it. For those of you with the issue, experiment with a smaller USB drive with only a subset of the music files and see if that improves things.
Old 10-09-2022, 07:02 PM
Mikster
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey94025
Could it be the size or number of music files on the USB drive that is causing a delay? The PCM might be slow in scanning the contents of the drive if there are too many files on it. For those of you with the issue, experiment with a smaller USB drive with only a subset of the music files and see if that improves things.
Not in my case. I just tried again plugging in the USB drive and suddenly now the PCM recognized it instantly. Buggy Porsche electronics.
M

Quick Reply: 992 Audio - System Fails to Read USB Drive Upon Restart