Sponsored by:

Lurker goes Pro

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 06:46 PM
KSG1965
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Lurker goes Pro

I’ll start by saying I never went out looking/wanting a 911. Previously owned a 986 Boxster manual transmission, so was familiar with the Porsche brand but that was it. I was looking for an exceptional Grand Touring car with an outstanding driving experience with an ability to be a backup daily driver for less than $250k

Over a year and after trying about 20 vehicles (BMWs, Vettes (Old & New), Shelby, MBs, Audi, Jaguar and other 911s) I settled on a 992 C2. It clearly outshined all the other vehicles and does everything I want. I could write several pages why just a C2, which are all subjective and have been debated extensively here, but am extremely happy with my choice. If you’re thinking of a 992, my advice is try a bunch of other cars first (other 911s as well) before the 992! When researching I caution everyone that video reviews are okay but are WAY over rated and suspect. Some can be informational; others are extremely subjective and completely useless (sorry JayEmm you’re a clown!) Take your time, go to an Experience Center, and enjoy the process. As I said it took a year for me.

The “base” 992 C2 and the PDK is an exceptional performer in its own right. I believe it is the hidden gem in the 911 line up, and imho, the best Grand Touring car for the money. The 992-infotainment system and digital cockpit is excellent. Porsche did an excellent job of integrating the screens into the vehicle instead of the mounted iPad look and was one of the reasons of settling on the 911. I have approximately 1000 miles on the car and it has been absolutely terrific and has exceeded every expectation. The only other 911 that interested me was the GT3. If I was to track (which I do not), the GT3 with touring package would have been my choice, the car is insanely fun to drive, 4.0L normally aspirated boxer engine, 502 hp, 9,000 rpm, and roll thru a manual gear box, yes please

This website has been helpful to see the other build sheets here for ideas. My build was pretty basic, (I like the stock look), Aventurine Green/Black Leather interior. I too spent months on the configurator pulling my hair out, thank goodness Porsche gives you a couple of months before locking in your order. My SA was really good as well by helping out and giving suggestions. Ordering to receiving the car took 7 months (Jun21-Jan22). The only aftermarket mod I have done is install the clear (European) side markers, $140 at Suncoast parts in Florida. The Porsche app is helpful in tracking the vehicle’s production (it’s conservative my car arrived two weeks early). From what I can tell it updates on Fridays and publishes changes no later than Mondays. Tracking the ship your car is on is easy but the waiting and worrying sux! (Sorry to all those who lost their vehicle to the fire) The only disappointment I’ve had was I could not participate in the European delivery (was cancelled in Dec 21) due to COVID and supply chain issues. I’ll end by this, anyone who is looking at a 992 it is a phenomenal platform in any version you choose, you won’t be disappointed! If you have any questions fire away, All the best!

My Build:

- Aventurine Green Coupe, w/Sport Chrono, Bose Audio (Sport Chrono & Bose AWESOME!)

- Standard Interior Black with Leather Package, Interior Trim Inlays in Leather (Get the Leather! Imho it is the best option I chose for the car. It really improves the fit and finish of the interior)

- 14-way Power Sport Seats, ventilated (liked the 14s better than the 18s, if you track get 18s)

- Extended Range Fuel Tank 23.7 Gallon (Must Have! Holds approx. 600 miles worth of petrol)

- Front Axle Lift System (Only get if you have to deal with bad curbs and inclines)

- Sport Tail pipes in Silver, (no PSE, car sounds fine without it, like a mad beehive. I like the unique sound of the Boxer)

- 20”/21” Spyder wheels, Wheel caps colored Porsche Crest

- PDK Selector in Aluminum, exclusive design fuel cap
The following 2 users liked this post by KSG1965:
detansinn (02-25-2022), icanthelpit (02-25-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 06:50 PM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 149 Posts

Congrats and sounds like you made a great decision based on your criteria you ended up with the right car. The Carrera is an amazing performer and value.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:57 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

this thread is useless without pix.jpg
Old 02-24-2022, 07:18 PM
KSG1965
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KSG1965
I’ll start by saying I never went out looking/wanting a 911. Previously owned a 986 Boxster manual transmission, so was familiar with the Porsche brand but that was it. I was looking for an exceptional Grand Touring car with an outstanding driving experience with an ability to be a backup daily driver for less than $250k

Over a year and after trying about 20 vehicles (BMWs, Vettes (Old & New), Shelby, MBs, Audi, Jaguar and other 911s) I settled on a 992 C2. It clearly outshined all the other vehicles and does everything I want. I could write several pages why just a C2, which are all subjective and have been debated extensively here, but am extremely happy with my choice. If you’re thinking of a 992, my advice is try a bunch of other cars first (other 911s as well) before the 992! When researching I caution everyone that video reviews are okay but are WAY over rated and suspect. Some can be informational; others are extremely subjective and completely useless (sorry JayEmm you’re a clown!) Take your time, go to an Experience Center, and enjoy the process. As I said it took a year for me.

The “base” 992 C2 and the PDK is an exceptional performer in its own right. I believe it is the hidden gem in the 911 line up, and imho, the best Grand Touring car for the money. The 992-infotainment system and digital cockpit is excellent. Porsche did an excellent job of integrating the screens into the vehicle instead of the mounted iPad look and was one of the reasons of settling on the 911. I have approximately 1000 miles on the car and it has been absolutely terrific and has exceeded every expectation. The only other 911 that interested me was the GT3. If I was to track (which I do not), the GT3 with touring package would have been my choice, the car is insanely fun to drive, 4.0L normally aspirated boxer engine, 502 hp, 9,000 rpm, and roll thru a manual gear box, yes please

This website has been helpful to see the other build sheets here for ideas. My build was pretty basic, (I like the stock look), Aventurine Green/Black Leather interior. I too spent months on the configurator pulling my hair out, thank goodness Porsche gives you a couple of months before locking in your order. My SA was really good as well by helping out and giving suggestions. Ordering to receiving the car took 7 months (Jun21-Jan22). The only aftermarket mod I have done is install the clear (European) side markers, $140 at Suncoast parts in Florida. The Porsche app is helpful in tracking the vehicle’s production (it’s conservative my car arrived two weeks early). From what I can tell it updates on Fridays and publishes changes no later than Mondays. Tracking the ship your car is on is easy but the waiting and worrying sux! (Sorry to all those who lost their vehicle to the fire) The only disappointment I’ve had was I could not participate in the European delivery (was cancelled in Dec 21) due to COVID and supply chain issues. I’ll end by this, anyone who is looking at a 992 it is a phenomenal platform in any version you choose, you won’t be disappointed! If you have any questions fire away, All the best!

My Build:

- Aventurine Green Coupe, w/Sport Chrono, Bose Audio (Sport Chrono & Bose AWESOME!)

- Standard Interior Black with Leather Package, Interior Trim Inlays in Leather (Get the Leather! Imho it is the best option I chose for the car. It really improves the fit and finish of the interior)

- 14-way Power Sport Seats, ventilated (liked the 14s better than the 18s, if you track get 18s)

- Extended Range Fuel Tank 23.7 Gallon (Must Have! Holds approx. 600 miles worth of petrol)

- Front Axle Lift System (Only get if you have to deal with bad curbs and inclines)

- Sport Tail pipes in Silver, (no PSE, car sounds fine without it, like a mad beehive. I like the unique sound of the Boxer)

- 20”/21” Spyder wheels, Wheel caps colored Porsche Crest

- PDK Selector in Aluminum, exclusive design fuel cap

The following 4 users liked this post by KSG1965:
detansinn (02-25-2022), kimbersm (02-25-2022), passat774 (02-24-2022), russbert (02-25-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 07:20 PM
KSG1965
Intermediate

The following 2 users liked this post by KSG1965:
BadlyDrawnBoy (02-24-2022), kimbersm (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 04:43 AM
politeperson
Racer

Received 475 Likes on 145 Posts

Nice choice, great car!
I have less options than you, so I win!
When I was looking for a run around, I wasnt "cross shopping" with an F-TypeAston/R8 /C63 etc. All these have engines that are too big, high depreciation and high running costs.
I was actually cross shopping with a Golf GTI! less than half the price, however the C2 is worth the extra and the residuals are a bit better, so its OK for a new car in my opinion.
I agree, GT3 for the track, C2 for the road. The GT3 was second on my list but I decided it was too much of a risk for me to track and a GT3 would annoy me on the road with my relatively high mileage and track focused drive.
The Porsche Experience was great. Its the only way to get close to the potential of these cars and appreciate what you have.

I am just under 30,000 miles now, it has been very cheap to run. I have no intention of getting rid.

Well done.

The following users liked this post:
KSG1965 (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 09:27 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

This is one of the most refreshing posts on here in some time. Well-timed sir! Many of us need some positive information from a happy customer right now. Thanks for your participation and I hope you completely enjoy your car for a long time to come.

Quick Reply: Lurker goes Pro